Thin skin Strats - all that?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michael patrick, Aug 11, 2006.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Has anyone tried a thin skin Strat? The reason I'm asking is because I didn't bond with the EJ Strat I tried mostly because of the neck. But I like the neck on my '62 reissue, and I see Dave's has some thin skin '62 reissues... and I'm feeling GASsy....:BEER

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'm enjoying my '62 TS RI. That and my CAR EJ Strat have been the go to Strats all summer. Both have treated me well...I probably go to the thin skin a little more because I'm more a rosewood kinda guy.

If I had to say one bad thing about the '62 TS RI I have is that it was horribly setup when I got it. I spent some time setting it up and got it dialed in for what I like and it's a great guitar now. When I bought it I requested the guy go through each of them and pick out the most acostically resonant one. And I can say...mine is very resonant.

3. michael patrick

Thanks! I live within driving distance of Dave's so I'd be able to pick out a resonant one for myself, thankfully.

But having said that, it's still a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, and with gas prices what they are, I'd like to hear more about them before I take the plunge, er, drive...

4. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

The only thing I'll probably change are the pickups, outside of that I really am enjoying mine. I haven't 2nd guessed it.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I think they are very nice, for Fender, but I think at that price range a great G&L with a pickup change far surpasses them, and a you could get 2 G&L's with Lollar or Fralin pickups at the price range.... other guitars (imho) that surpass a Thin Skin Strat in the same price range would be a used Grosh or used Melancon or if you search for a deal a used Fender Custom shop....

you're looking at $1440. There's a LOT of great guitars you can buy used for $1440

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I just received a Thin Skin strat (thanks Vaughn), and it is a very nice guitar. It is super alive and resonant. Not to mention, a nice weight at 7.4lbs. I will be rewiring the lower tone control ala EJ style and replacing the bridge pup with a EJ bridge pup. The neck and middle sound great stock. I might put a couple of Suhr LPV60's in the neck and middle down the road as I just love those pickups.
    All in all, a very nice guitar with a great feeling neck and super thin nitro finish. The neck pocket joint is about as tight as I have seen on any fender. Come to think of it, a bone nut would also be a nice improvement. But no big deal. Heck, depending on how it sounds live will determine if anything needs to be improved upon. Classic strat with a spanky tone! ;)

7. michael patrick

8. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

I just bought one, & me likey!

9. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

Good work Seafoamer!:AOK

10. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

Cannot comment on the Strats, but my TS Tele is a great guitar.