• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Things every guitar player should buy ... under $20

gulliver

Supporting Member
No affiliations, of course...

I just bought 8 amp rubber feet for $10. Looking at them, they look exactly like the ones that came on my Two Rock amp/bottom. They're tall, so they'll clear a tall handle between a head and bottom. I plan on buying more.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Genuine-...lkAAOxynhFRCDBd:sc:USPSFirstClass!14220!US!-1

Hate to say it, but this is my very first high quality screw driver. Yes, there is a huge difference over my Craftsman junk. It fits the screws like a thousand dollar suit. Really, a tight fit. $9.
Template public:_media_site_embed_amazon not found. Try rebuilding or reinstalling the s9e/MediaSites add-on.

A hair over $20, but again, my first good needle nose. Makes a huge difference ... wires/strings don't slip through it.
Template public:_media_site_embed_amazon not found. Try rebuilding or reinstalling the s9e/MediaSites add-on.

Anything else I need to know about?

... Hate to say it, but this is my very first high quality screw driver. Yes, there is a huge difference over my Craftsman junk. ...
You know what's crazy is once upon a time, Craftsman tools were very high quality stuff.

My grandfather had maybe 3 complete sets of tools from Sears/Craftsman, and they had a lifetime warranty. You could literally pound the snot out of the tool for 30-40 years, and if it broke/deformed you could take it in to Sears & swap it on the spot for a new identical tool for free.

But yes, those days are long gone, and even the stuff Sears sold with the Craftsman label 10-20 years ago was cheaply made compared to the old tools that built the brand. The secret is the expensive tool you buy once that lasts your lifetime costs less than the cheap tool you buy, then have to replace later (maybe several times).

Agreed that good tools are worth the cost!

Last edited:

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Volt-ohm meter, less than $10 at Walmart. You can:
- check cables for opens and shorts
- verify power at the wall
- check batteries
- quickly find out whether that one cable among hundreds is really connected where you think it is
- determine whether that's an 8-ohm or 16-ohm cab
- probably a few other things I'm not thinking about

T Dizz

Volt-ohm meter, less than $10 at Walmart. You can:
- check cables for opens and shorts
- verify power at the wall
- check batteries
- quickly find out whether that one cable among hundreds is really connected where you think it is
- determine whether that's an 8-ohm or 16-ohm cab
- probably a few other things I'm not thinking about
Good one! Also tests a speaker

gulliver

Supporting Member
Template public:_media_site_embed_googledrive not found. Try rebuilding or reinstalling the s9e/MediaSites add-on.
What is this for? ... I think I have a cheap version of this for my MacBook Pro, but I don't think I have any small hex screws within my gear.

You know what's crazy is one upon a time, Craftsman tools were very high quality stuff.

My grandfather had maybe 3 complete sets of tools from Sears/Craftsman, and they had a lifetime warranty. You could literally pound the snot out of the tool for 30-40 years, and if it broke/deformed you could take it in to Sears & swap it on the spot for a new identical tool for free.

But yes, those days are long gone, and even the stuff Sears sold with the Craftsman label 10-20 years ago was cheaply made compared to the old tools that built the brand. The secret is the expensive tool you buy once that lasts your lifetime costs less than the cheap tool you buy, then have to replace later (maybe several times).

Agreed that good tools are worth the cost!
Funny, I have a chewed up craftsman phillips screw driver and I keep trying to remember it when I drive near a Lowes. Lowes carries craftsman now and I want to see if they will give me a new one as an exchange.

Even if they give me one, it will get chewed top in a few years ... and it will not fit the screws as tightly as the Klein.

Reactions: F12
  • Hex wrench set
  • Elmer’s glue and toothpicks for strap peg hole repairs
  • Q-tips for getting at hard to reach gunk
  • Metronome
  • Cheap sponge type humidifier for acoustics
  • Polishing cloth
  • Spray contact cleaner
  • Large magnet or small magnetic tray for keeping small screws from getting lost
  • Pad or mat for protecting guitar while on workbench
  • Cheap neck riser for same as above
  • Cable tester. Yeah probably will exceed $20, but a necessity nonetheless

Trending Topics