Things every guitar player should buy ... under $20

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gulliver, May 2, 2019.

1. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

^ I'll have to try this ... yes, I've been stung. ... Put tetanus shot on the list, for things under $20 (co-pay).

:rolleyes:

Honch likes this.
  3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

4. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

I love Gorgomyte, but I don't feel comfortable to use it like that, as I'm worried about the consequences of the excessive oil going under the frets in the long run.

I cut a 1"x1" piece, fold it a couple times, hold it with a surgical plier (with its tips protected with electrical tape) and rub the frets while also using a Stew Mac's fret guard. Then I take a dry cloth and rub the excess out of the frets and the fretboard, as some oil usually spreads over it.

I didn't know that GHS is selling it now. I still have a couple packs with the yellow dragon on the label.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  5. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

6. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

yep, will be getting one of these

7. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

A 6" machinist rule.

8. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

You get what you pay for but the really good tools can be really expensive. I needed a drill with good torque and the new ones were all battery operated and cheaply made (De Walt). I just bought a used one that was made before they went down in quality. It was only $40. Those older ones can last decades. The new ones? Because I wanted a good one, before I thought of searching used, I was told about some pro brands which started around 1k. One was made in Germany.

9. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I think the longer one is essential for setups but we get into the higher price category.

10. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Do you need to calibrate the SPL app? You should know that most phones aren't capable of measuring above a certain level.

11. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

I thought you were going to tell us you that you cut the string with your teeth. No tools!

Honch likes this.
  12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

A case humidifer, even with an electric solid body:

[​IMG]

You can actually made a home made one pretty easily, just make sure you use distilled water. This is probably the best $20 I spent in a long time though, having the guitar humidfied not only prevents fret sprout and fingerboard shrinkage, it keeps the neck more stable and playable. On my Les Paul, it actually darkened up the rosewood even more.. no need for special oils or other conditioners.. just natural moisture for the wood to absorb. If you live in a place with humdity shifts to below 50% or goes way over (75%+), this really helps regulate your guitar in its case. Also if you're travelling on the road to other countries/cities, the humidity is bound to swing so having a humidifier keeps things in line very well. I consider these essential for all guitars.

13. Grenville

Grenville Member

JIS screwdrivers.

For some reason, JIS (Japan Industry Standard) is different to Western standards; the screwdriver fits the screw heads tightly and doesn't jump out under tension in the same manner.