Things every guitar player should buy ... under $20

Al Rose

Gold Supporting Member
You know what's crazy is one upon a time, Craftsman tools were very high quality stuff.

My grandfather had maybe 3 complete sets of tools from Sears/Craftsman, and they had a lifetime warranty. You could literally pound the snot out of the tool for 30-40 years, and if it broke/deformed you could take it in to Sears & swap it on the spot for a new identical tool for free.

But yes, those days are long gone, and even the stuff Sears sold with the Craftsman label 10-20 years ago was cheaply made compared to the old tools that built the brand. The secret is the expensive tool you buy once that lasts your lifetime costs less than the cheap tool you buy, then have to replace later (maybe several times).

Agreed that good tools are worth the cost!
Yep, most of my Craftsman tools are from the 1970's. I worked for Sears while I was in college, and was in department 9 (tools). Back then they were THE tools to own. All made in USA. About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a few screwdrivers (some of mine had walked away) and noticed the new ones were much lighter than the old ones of the same size. Sad when a great brand goes south....

Al

Last edited:

data_null

Same.
The tuner goes everywhere a guitar goes. Automatically. Tuner + spare 9 volt battery. In the case.

Even though I always tweak certain strings/octaves after tuning. No tuner is 100% exact in all neck positions.

Still, it really helps.
Exactly.

A few years ago I saw a local area cover band where neither of the guitarists, nor bassist, had a tuner. Every few songs they would stop to "tune". One guy would hit an open string, then the others would try to tune to match it, at the same time, at full volume. It was unreal.

Exactly.

A few years ago I saw a local area cover band where neither of the guitarists, nor bassist, had a tuner. Every few songs they would stop to "tune". One guy would hit an open string, then the others would try to tune to match it, at the same time, at full volume. It was unreal.
OMG.
Yeah, it happens. :rotflmao

Yeah, I got one in 1982 -- it was a big stepping-stone for my playing.
Especially because there was no Internet source for reference like TGP back then. And most guitarists I knew were at best (and honestly) described as “clueless.”

I learned a lot from that book. It also proves how spoiled younger guitarists are today with many more options for affordable gear. I wanted a Boogie. It didn’t happen until years later!

Trending Topics