Things every guitar player should buy ... under $20

CanuckChris

Yep, cheapest and most convenient pick holder. One guy I play with is forever looking for picks that he's lost somewhere in his house. I have to remember to pick up a can of mints for him!

To add to the list, one item that is essential for some of the songs I play is a capo. D'Addario/Planet Waves ones can be had for right around the $20 mark and do a great job.

Maybe I too will get there someday. I have one or two. I re-try them every few years. A Power Peg Pro is a more likely outcome I think.
I was content until I bought one :). I had some work done on a guitar and the tech was using a battery operated one and I thought "wow, how convenient is that?" I went with a cheaper manual one.

Not just one, but one for every case, gig bag, basement, or band room in your life.

Same with Snark tuners....there should be one within reach, always.
Yep. I have a Polytune pedal on my board and a Polytune for the headstock that I keep in the living room for my hollow body electric.

bobgoblin

Supporting Member
I put together a little "survival kit" of stuff I've needed at shows and didn't have: (all could be found for less than $20, but what I carry is not)

Peg winder
Flat nose wire snips
Gibson poker chip nut tool
Multi-tool
Stanley Phillips/Flat screwdriver
ZipTies
Sharpies

I keep it all in a Vanquest "EDC" type pouch & it goes in my guitar case. It's saved my hide (and my bandmates', too) a few times over.

Mentat

For beginning guitarists:

I agree! :aok Fantastic book that really helped me in my early years. And the best comprehensive chord chart in the back of the book, that I have ever seen.
I color printed the chord charts and some of the most useful pages, and made my own ring binder with those clear sheet holders from an office supply store. Along with a few charts from other sources. A must have book for any guitarist.

Last edited:

mjinli

good clip on tuner with a piezo pickup, lets you tune anywhere regardless of background noise

Tony Done

I couldn't find any mention of strings in a quick scan through the reply, they were the first thing I thought of. I'm pretty sure everything on my list will have been mentioned. - clip-on tuner, hex wrenches and screwdrivers, side cutters or pliers, cleaning rag, spare cable for electrics.