'Things': HELP! My Guitar Volume Pot Just Seized

PhuzzphayzZ

looking at Bourns 500K on Ebay.... uh.... I'm gonna need help here, too many choices again...

short? long? this? that?

:cry::cry::cry:

lol, EVERY TIME... every consideration... every nuance... every question has five questions attached...

I'm like Leonidas hacking away at useless drones trying to get the prize

PhuzzphayzZ

I AM having a hard time popping corn for this

EDIT: had I been ready for totally switching from pedalphoria to guitar-tech-phuzzy this would all be fun fun fun... I was still hoping to indulge a few more Overdrives before... I.... uhhhhh....

Valves-R-Us

Back out the pot and post a pic of it without the nut and washers. We can tell you if its long or short shaft. Just comparing pics online should tell you as long shaft are Loooong. Short shafts have about a half inch of threaded collar where longs are about an inch in length often with two (inner, outer) nuts. So, simply yank it and have a look first.

Getting some Deoxit is great for cleaning your new pot(s), but you're past getting a fix with a squirt. Can't fix mechanical problems with chemistry.

The pot most likely is: 'audio taper', 500 K. Read between the outer lugs with an ohm meter if you have to verify but 500K will work great. The pots shaft length has to be determined visually. CTS, Alpha and Bourns brands are the very ones to get.

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
what is that...where? might as well educate myself!
RS Guitarworks ... they make the finest, imho, wiring harnesses for guitars using the best parts.They are not cheap, but if your guitar is a keeper foe life, spend the $$$.
They had CTS make for them these special pots that have a Smooth audio taper and they are using better materials then your normal five dollar CTS pots. For the $11 each they are well worth it and they read out to be at least 500K ohms where is many pots read out to be much lower than that and that dulls your tone

Last edited:

Flouncingfleasbag

Supporting Member
Sounds like you just need throw that guitar in the trash.

Had me laughing- everytime a " little " thing goes wrong with electronics I spend 3 hours researching -what? I still never know. You are making me feel better. I mean, I fix it, but end up knee deep in solder, burned and cursing. I really need to order a not crap soldering gun and solder that is not clothes line thick.

Speaking of "things" how the F do you tighten the trem arm on the Ibanez we both know we have the same model of? Mine is the pink one. I lost the directions.

Valves-R-Us

This is the best:
60/40 leaded .31" diameter.
KESTER SOLDER 24-6040-0027 Wire Solder, 0.031

Which you can buy a few 15" cuttings in a bag on Amazon for $7.00. A full roll is kinda spendy unless you're soldering a lot. Thing is, solder goes bad with age. The rule is 5 years then chuck it. They are correct.

ericb

Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to be a dink (I'm 60 and haven't said that word in 40 years! ha) but to be honest, the way all of us are giving you advice, and it really sounds like you don't know much about a guitar pot, or soldering, I wouldn't recommend you take apart your guitar and do it yourself, after all the above advice. 1st off people are telling you to buy all kinds of things. By the time you buy an 11.00 pot, 7.00 solder, assuming you have a perfect soldering iron already you know HOW to use, then what if the drilled hole in your Ibanez is different than the width of the pot shaft, you need to redrill, etc,etc, if this guitar means a lot to you , it really shouldn't take more than 30.00 for a qualified person to fix it, or a friend (which again I'd do for free. . I fixed 2 of my friend's amps a few weeks back for free and he gave me all kinds of the best bbq I'd ever had in exchange. . wasn't wanting or expecting that!) Anyway, if you haven't done any of this b4, and you care about that guitar, I'd pay someone to do it , or find a local friend. I try to be the voice of reason on these forums. A pot that's AT LEAST as good as the one Ibanez used in their entry level guitar , will literally cost 3.00 and then someone to solder. Good luck and enjoy the weekend. Eric

p.s. I HEAVILY agree with the other guy on this thread who mentioned that we all should know how to replace pots if we own guitars, and it's the same as knowing about tubes if you have a tube amp, but I stand by my recommendation to get someone to coach you on the spot, help you , solder for you , etc if this guitar means much to you. If it's your beater, it's a good learning experience, but you sound like you love the guitar. I have at least 25 guitars, and learned which ones I was comfortable working on, some the hard way

Valves-R-Us

To be clear, I often write responses to the title rather than the poster. Future 'Pot' searches may land this thread. Proper technical information may be what they seek not quirky splats of non-sense. Look past non-sense posts and you may find real information that is of value - to others that will take on the task.

As ericb points out, there is metric vs. US shaft diameter sizing often requiring enlarging the pot pass-through holes. (read drill out). They do sell metric sized pots should you want to avoid drilling.

Just to add to the bonus round, metric knobs vs. US knobs are different. The spline spacing is different as well the shaft diameter. US knobs are loose on metric pots where metric (spline) knobs won't press on US pot shafts. The fun never ends! Knobs that have set screws may fit either as they have no splines.

So why swap a big ol' pot in where your smaller metric is failing? The heavy, larger diameter pot is bigger, badder and tougher. At least we want to belive that. But there is some merit as bigger is better when you are slamming that thing around. The metrics will have a smaller body diameter so make sure the cavity routing will accept a wider pot first.

Last edited:

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to be a dink (I'm 60 and haven't said that word in 40 years! ha) but to be honest, the way all of us are giving you advice, and it really sounds like you don't know much about a guitar pot, or soldering, I wouldn't recommend you take apart your guitar and do it yourself, after all the above advice. 1st off people are telling you to buy all kinds of things. By the time you buy an 11.00 pot, 7.00 solder, assuming you have a perfect soldering iron already you know HOW to use, then what if the drilled hole in your Ibanez is different than the width of the pot shaft, you need to redrill, etc,etc, if this guitar means a lot to you , it really shouldn't take more than 30.00 for a qualified person to fix it, or a friend (which again I'd do for free. . I fixed 2 of my friend's amps a few weeks back for free and he gave me all kinds of the best bbq I'd ever had in exchange. . wasn't wanting or expecting that!) Anyway, if you haven't done any of this b4, and you care about that guitar, I'd pay someone to do it , or find a local friend. I try to be the voice of reason on these forums. A pot that's AT LEAST as good as the one Ibanez used in their entry level guitar , will literally cost 3.00 and then someone to solder. Good luck and enjoy the weekend. Eric

p.s. I HEAVILY agree with the other guy on this thread who mentioned that we all should know how to replace pots if we own guitars, and it's the same as knowing about tubes if you have a tube amp, but I stand by my recommendation to get someone to coach you on the spot, help you , solder for you , etc if this guitar means much to you. If it's your beater, it's a good learning experience, but you sound like you love the guitar. I have at least 25 guitars, and learned which ones I was comfortable working on, some the hard way
You’re a dink! :banana :hide2 Just kidding.... I haven’t heard that used in a while.. good word!:D
i guess that was part of our generation.....

PhuzzphayzZ

double income, no kids...lol

The best thing is that the pot seized at full volume, so, I'm not despondent!

I figure I'll order a pot (still will have to get exact specs for that), and a better knob,... and some D5,...

I bought an Aounye (?) soldering kit but I wonder if I've already crapped out the tip (after no mucho use)... anyhow, that's anpother issue...

I'll make some calls...

and, thanks to the community !!

PhuzzphayzZ

For the concerned-

yea, I've got the 5-way switch, and my Tone pot is a push/pull for the coil-split on the buckers, so, there IS a bunch going on in that space.

Technically, IF everything went well, I could do it, but, there's a lot of factors

NOT LEAST OF WHICH IS THAT GLUED-ON KNOB!!!!

I wonder if I have to destroy the pot from behind, cuz I'm sure a glued on knob is not going anywhere.

OH- and, I want to get the round see-thru knobs with numbers, gold and white,... do I choose the knurled/smooth option based on the knob? Is the knob the ultimate boss here?

PhuzzphayzZ

Guys, I have to tell you that just before this pot went south, after I got this ColossalCable, which cleared my sound 3-fold... cleaning the pot apparently cleared it another 1.5/2-fold... I think I was about to take off and I needed to be grounded or something...

I saw the golden roads... and then I was jarred back into this world of fail.

I can't believe how good tone I was getting... I can't believe how filthy that pot must've been.

I believe I must have jiggled it too much when I was sprayin' 'n' twistin'... but, it needed to be dealt with.

I guess I AM excited that a NewPot should yield at least the same plateau of tone as I got with this one.

I'M NOT SURE THE POT WAS ORIGINAL IBANEZ, MAYBE TECH 10 years ago... but, it may be original Ibanez and I'm confusing it with the Tone pot, which I'm pretty sure was put in 10 years ago.

OH, AND,... THIS IS MY ONLY GUITAR :cry: (I doooo need a back up)