• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Things I don't like about Strats

64 Tele

The vintage style/older strats don't come with a tone control on bridge pickup.

That's all I've got........

Let us know how that works out. I have my doubts that actually that’s going to be an improvement. My guess is the pickups themselves are physically too far apart to act essentially as a humbucker would. I’ve also tried using a hotter single coil bridge pickup but that didn’t work out for me either as I still lost the 2nd position tonally. I did have a small 2 two way switch added so that I can get the neck pickup added to the bridge and all three together. For me the answer is going to be a hss gtr. It’s the one combo of pickups I don’t have in a gtr.
I should be getting the guitar back on Monday NZ time so I'll chime in with my thoughts.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
I like having a bunch of different guitars that force me to adapt to the differences. But lowering the middle pickup is an easy fix. I find Teles are the easiest to navigate, followed by Les Pauls.
I must say, I think adapting your playing and style to the guitar, and not the other way round, is one of the secrets of improving your playing.

Ive never really found these things to be an issue.
ive been playing 39 years now (gulp), and ive genuinely never found this to be an issu.

GiorgioV

Well the Strat really is a polarizing guitar.

There are a lot of things that make me go "not for me".

I don't like body contours, because all my life I've played guitars that don't have them and I'm used to a flat surface pressing on my body.

I especially dislike that they slide from my leg when sitting down

I don't like the jack input plate, I mostly use 90 degrees jacks and they look stupid with it.

I don't like having three pickups and most of all I don't like having a 5 way selector switch. I'm used to have more limited options and work with my hands, 5 "sounds" is way too confusing for me.

I don't like how honky some of them can sound, and I tend to gravitate to other tones anyway.

And yes, all of these things can be fixed, but when you deviate so much from the original formula, why bother? There are so many other guitars I'd rather buy.

Sensates

Cons: Too many variances. IT takes a long time before you will find the one. Teles are the contrast to that.

Pros: Takes little effort to switch pickguards/pups.

Jimbo99

I never paid attention to that when buying strats, but all of mine have the tone on the middle and bridge pickup wired together.
I realize that's the way it's supposed to work, but the 2 pre-owned Strats that I have, have no tone control for the bridge pickup position. I do get tone control when the middle & bridge selector switch is in that position, but that tone control is from/for the middle pickup & T2 knob. Maybe the wiring is wrong underneath ? Uggghhhh, so don't want to open either guitar up for something that should've been done by Squier at the factory or even by the shop that replaced something inside it. The 2005 Bullet is old enough that someone might've swapped out electronics ? The 2016 Affinity is new enough that I doubt anything was ever changed inside. They're both value instruments, that I could see a manufacturer not bothering to do that with either guitar.

This is what probably needs to be done under the pickguard to the switch & tone pots without even opening either Strat up to see what was done and they way it should be.

Last edited:

gentlyweeping

All of my electrics are Strats. I read of people have problems with hitting the middle pickup with the pick and I don't understand how that's happening.

Bucksfan70

Silver Supporting Member
I've gone back and forth over a few years with buying and selling a couple different Strats. I could never get used to having a middle pickup that I'm always hitting constantly with my pick. Along those lines, I feel like I'm constantly hitting the knobs and pickup switch when I strum since it's so close to the strings. This is all coming from a Tele background where there's more picking clearance and the knobs are further from the strings. It's mostly just a cramped feeling when I played Strats, although I do love the body contours and the neck PU sound. Maybe I should just get a contoured Tele with a Strat neck pickup?
that middle pickup is definitely annoying. also, i don't like how most strats are 9.5 fretboard radius. it makes bending hard work.

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
In what ways do you change your technique? How would I go about doing that?
Picking attack. Maybe start with where you rest your hand when you pick then go from there. All guitars are slightly different and need to be approached differently.

eldorado2001

I approach Strats differently too. Since it's not my favorite guitar model, and mine isn't classic or vintage, I don't mind changing the guitar a little to make it come to me instead of otherwise. I 'adjusted' my middle pup and volume control so I don't hit either with the pick anymore. Ah, the simplicity.

FattRaxx

Of all the things that kill me on a regular Strat, for me it's this:

21 frets

- bending to high E just sucks, so easy on a 22.
- can't play extended A blues box at the 17th fret, can't hit the high D
- can't play in B box at the 19th
- can't resolve to A on the b string 22 fret... have to bend up to it and hold, or hit the high E 17th fret, where it is harder to give it a wide vibrato.

I've gone back and forth over a few years with buying and selling a couple different Strats. I could never get used to having a middle pickup that I'm always hitting constantly with my pick. Along those lines, I feel like I'm constantly hitting the knobs and pickup switch when I strum since it's so close to the strings. This is all coming from a Tele background where there's more picking clearance and the knobs are further from the strings. It's mostly just a cramped feeling when I played Strats, although I do love the body contours and the neck PU sound. Maybe I should just get a contoured Tele with a Strat neck pickup?
Dude I used to 100% feel that way. I was a gibson guy that happened to like Teles though. However, I recently bought a strat just for the sounds it produces and it has become one of my favorites. The middle pickup is now my favorite sound for cleans. What's funny is I always hit the volume knob on my Stingray, and also on a Jazzmaster when I owned one. I never hit the volume knob on the strat though... I am actually more likely to hit the switch on my les paul than the strat too.

In short, maybe as time goes on your playing will change enough to where you will love the strat.

If you just lower the middle pickup, you get your cake and eat it too. - the genius of the stratocaster.
Remove it altogether, most strats actually have a middle pickup ( at least when not used with either other pickup) that sounds dull.
If you find a strat that doesn't have this problem, you're lucky.

Trending Topics