Things Sure Are S-p-a-c-e-d Out.

Discussion in 'Interactive Administrator Threads' started by twinrider1, May 19, 2015.

1. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

When I enter a forum, there are 15 thread titles visible on the screen. This is compared to 23 on the old vBulletin format. I like having more info on the screen at one time.

Once all the bugs and errors are ironed out, and you guys get some sleep, maybe the format can be tweaked a little.

Thanks for all the hard work. Overall, I really like the new platform.

2. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

You can control the number of posts per page you see. Click on your user name and select "Preferences" from the pop-up list.

3. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I mean how much you can see without scrolling. There is a lot of open space on the page.

And this is primarily about the forum page that shows thread titles. Once I'm in a thread I don't mind the open spacing as much.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There's a whole lot of wasted space in posts too. Lots of space between the text and the buttons, then a lot of white space between the buttons and the bottom of the post.

5. brightboy

brightboy Silver Supporting Member

Agreed.

I also don't see the need to have the OP avatar next to the thread titles when browswing the table of contents of a given FORUM.

This just wastes vertical space and is visually distracting when trying to skim thread titles.

I would also like to see the Reply Count and View Count numbers directly below their horizontal heading titles like they were before
    (instead of being smaller and listed vertical above each other under the View Count title)

I also don't like how clicking on a thread takes you to the last post rather than the first post (especially in the emporium because it usually skips past pictures and prices)

Jeff

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  6. maniac

maniac Member

Yes I agree with OP. The feel of the new theme is good to me, but there is too much waste of space. It would be great if there is a "compact" theme.

7. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

I understand that there have been more pressing issues but the question mark avatar for those without an avatar specified in their profiles is distracting.

It seems too similar to various browser's 'broken image' placeholder for images blocked, not downloaded due to connectivity errors, etc. In other words, I keep thinking the pages aren't loading correctly even when they are.

Perhaps a default avatar (e.g. TGP logo) could be assigned to non-avatar members in order to improve appearance and avoid this potential for confusion?

8. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You guys are making good points, I think the avatars junk up the page. I loved being able to opt out of avatars on the V bulletin site. There's no logical reason that my three little sentences should eat up a third of the monitor.

9. JeffK

JeffK Member

^agreed. Would be cool if there was a way to disable the avatars next to thread titles.

10. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Yes, please!!!!!!!!!

11. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

I tried this and received an error message twice.........

EDIT: Figured out the problem. Not only do you need to choose the number of threads per page etc but you have to choose weather or not you want your email visible or not before hitting save.

12. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I tried to change the posts per page and get this

The following error occurred:
    Please enter a value for all required fields.

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Set your email permissions to show or hide and then you can choose the number of posts per page and no further issues.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I tend not to want to pile on, since I know administering a site like this is HARD! But I gotta agree with this one-since a lot of my logging on is at work thru a slowish wireless connection, only getting 15 thread titles per page means a lot more reloading. I tend to just look at one page of thread titles and move on. Of course, being slightly irritated with the format may mean spending less time here, which is probably a good thing, so maybe leave it alone...

15. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

Agreed. It's visually fatiguing.

Also, moving some of the user info to the right within thread posts, dare I say like the old site, would save a ton of space on short posts.

[​IMG]

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Please can we opt out of avatars???

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Yes, soon. Not yet. Working on it.

18. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Thanks in advance to the crew!