Things that are toxic to dogs, any experience?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AbstractLunatic, Jun 21, 2018.

1. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

derekd and Ncp10 like this.
  2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

The big, absolute no-no is onions. There's no coming back from that....

Ncp10 likes this.
  3. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

Our dog as a puppy got a mouth full of toad one night - she was disoriented and foaming - acted like she was loaded which is likely true.

I held her tight and flushed out her mouth with the hose turned up high. She slept it off and was good as new.

Washburnmemphis and Eric Rowland like this.
  4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I’ve heard chocolate

CDP, derekd, Ncp10 and 2 others like this.
  5. jalmer

jalmer Member

My medium sized dog chowed at least half of one of those duty free shop dark chocolate jumbo bars.
    I made her barf with hydrogen peroxide; brought her in she got charcoal and barfed all over my back seat for a charcoal dye job. But she was okay. vet said it wasn't a lethal dose. She's a trooper; once ate a cooked chicken carcass, no issues.
    She also got the toad foamy mouth thing Stumbled around with a what the f*** look on her face for awhile. Lost her taste for chasing them.

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

7. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anim...toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value[]=01&=Apply

The list is quite long.

My sis the (RN/Tox Phd, used to work in Poison Control as a side gig to running a NNICU) also runs a Schipperke Dog Rescue home, and frequently gets calls from across the Western US on Dog-Toxin issues. Many of those are from vets. She says that, tho dogs have a robust system to fight of bacteria in food, they get beat up by the plant kingdom, hard. Ever wonder why dogs often eat the stomach contents of their kill? They are using the dead plant eater as their 'second opinion' on the edibility of some plant.

Anyway, I hope the OP isn't asking this for a reason?

AbstractLunatic and marktweedy like this.
  8. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Chocolate's a messy, smelly, and fairly disgusting ride, but usually not fatal unless in huge amounts (relatively speaking), grapes and some fruits are poisonous. Some houseplants as well. Poinsettia, oleander, many succulents to name a few.
    Sooo, treat your place with a new pup like you would with a toddler. Just like kids, dogs are curious buggers and for whatever reason, just like kids when they see something, "this looks interesting" is usually followed by "I wonder what it tastes like". Go figure.
    In any case, like most toxics, a tiny bite or lick usual won't kill 'em but they can get pretty sick. And of course who doesn't love a dog with a case of the squirts?

9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Grapes, chocolate, and almonds is what I've heard mostly.
    Long term I think it's good to feed them grain free food. In a pinch out in the wild, I don't think wheat or grains would be the dog's choice for survival. Not to mention what we are suspecting wheat does to the guts and the joints.

I have trouble understanding why my dog can eat a full bowl of food, then go out 5 minutes later and eat crabgrass and rabbit turds. On the other hand I've seen my dog pick up a baby rabbit and chew it while she's running away from me, swallow it whole, and I never see any adverse effects from it in the ensuing days and weeks. She is as smug as can be after that trick, like she did me a huge favor and it's no charge.

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

It varies in the dog I guess. My mini schnauzer ate an entire bag of Hershey Kisses xmas 95 and just pooped multi-colored foil for two days. Only lived to be 15.

11. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I've had to take one of my dogs to the emergency vet twice for chocolate consumption.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

Macadamias. My dog will sometimes sit and chew the hard shells from the tree in my garden, as if she knows that there is something edible inside. At least it cleans her teeth.

I asked my vet mate about grape poisoning, and he said it seemed to be regional. IIRC, he said that no cases had been reported here in Australia.

13. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

My cousin's dog, a little rescued poodle that has had a hard life, ate raisin(s) and all my cousin's friends are telling her anecdotal stories how the dog will be fine. I told her to call a vet right away but we don't really get along so she isn't taking my suggestion seriously. :(

Anyway, it made me wonder if stuff actually goes wrong with dogs (pets) because I have had a lot of dogs and even more cats and never had any kind of poisoning.

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Way back when I was a kid the old family dog would eat almost everything without major catastrophes. Chocolate, ice cream, grapes, dog food, dead fish..really dead.
    I know..it was better before.

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

I was told the thing with grapes is they leave some residual mineral in the kidneys that make the dog very susceptible to kidney stones. We used to have a grape vine on the fence, and the dog would eat them incessantly. One night the dog was laying on the pad and just spontaneously started yelping in pain and thrusting her nose toward her sides. In retrospect it could have been kidney stone pain. She was also drinking inordinate amounts of water. We removed the grape vine and never noticed another problem like that.

Spooky Action likes this.
  16. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Member

I had a wiener dog that would eat almost anything. Chocolate, onions, grapes, olives, roaches, frogs, snakes, flower stems- anything except jalapenos. She didn't like the heat. She lived to 18 years. We had to put her down not because of sickness, but because she got doggie dementia. Sad. Dog alzheimers is a weird ride.

I also had an Australian Shepherd eat an entire bag of mini reeses peanut butter cups and half an Easter chocolate bunny . Not the hollow kind either. The solid bad boy. He was fine - he just shat a bunch of gold foil the next day.

I wouldn't intentionally feed a dog anything they're not "supposed" to have, but I don't believe their digestive and immune systems are as frail as these dogs-do-not-eat lists suggest.

time2kill likes this.
  17. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Anti freeze, It's also very toxic to humans. A family accross the street several years ago, left some out after their dad had changed out the anti freeze, dog got into it. Didn't last long.
    I had a yorkie that got hold of some ibuprofen it killed him.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  18. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Please tell your cousin to quit listening to jackasses (like those of us on TGP, or friends with potentially lethal anecdotes) and instead just do some reaslly basic research from a place that has some authority on the subject.

EXAMPLE:

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/raisins-and-grapes

It looks like dogs have variable susceptibility to raisins/grapes/currants, and the exact pathologic/metabolic pathway is not fully understood.
    But by reading this I get the feeling that it may be a toxic event... at least worth a call to a good vet.

19. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Cousin reported doggie is a-ok this morning whew...

derekd likes this.
  20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Ex-wife had a Jack Russell mix who got into one of those large Hershey chocolate bars and ate it all.

Killed the poor little guy.