Things that are toxic to dogs, any experience?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by AbstractLunatic, Jun 21, 2018.

  1. AbstractLunatic

    AbstractLunatic Member

    Messages:
    4,609
    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2005
    Location:
    Denver
    derekd and Ncp10 like this.
  2. mark norwine

    mark norwine Member

    Messages:
    16,796
    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2005
    Location:
    NJ...GSP135
    The big, absolute no-no is onions. There's no coming back from that....
     
    Ncp10 likes this.
  3. Sidney Vicious

    Sidney Vicious Member

    Messages:
    8,657
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2008
    Location:
    NOLAUSA
    Our dog as a puppy got a mouth full of toad one night - she was disoriented and foaming - acted like she was loaded which is likely true.

    I held her tight and flushed out her mouth with the hose turned up high. She slept it off and was good as new.
     
    Washburnmemphis and Eric Rowland like this.
  4. Astronaut FX

    Astronaut FX Member

    Messages:
    6,586
    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Location:
    Midwestern Hellride
    I’ve heard chocolate
     
    CDP, derekd, Ncp10 and 2 others like this.
  5. jalmer

    jalmer Member

    Messages:
    1,615
    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2014
    My medium sized dog chowed at least half of one of those duty free shop dark chocolate jumbo bars.
    I made her barf with hydrogen peroxide; brought her in she got charcoal and barfed all over my back seat for a charcoal dye job. But she was okay. vet said it wasn't a lethal dose. She's a trooper; once ate a cooked chicken carcass, no issues.
    She also got the toad foamy mouth thing Stumbled around with a what the f*** look on her face for awhile. Lost her taste for chasing them.
     
  6. fast ricky love

    fast ricky love Supporting Member

    Messages:
    3,812
    Joined:
    May 19, 2005
    Location:
    NYC
  7. lefort_1

    lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    13,178
    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Location:
    Oregon
    https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anim...toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value[]=01&=Apply

    The list is quite long.

    My sis the (RN/Tox Phd, used to work in Poison Control as a side gig to running a NNICU) also runs a Schipperke Dog Rescue home, and frequently gets calls from across the Western US on Dog-Toxin issues. Many of those are from vets. She says that, tho dogs have a robust system to fight of bacteria in food, they get beat up by the plant kingdom, hard. Ever wonder why dogs often eat the stomach contents of their kill? They are using the dead plant eater as their 'second opinion' on the edibility of some plant.

    Anyway, I hope the OP isn't asking this for a reason?
     
    AbstractLunatic and marktweedy like this.
  8. frankie5fingers

    frankie5fingers Member

    Messages:
    1,875
    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2009
    Location:
    WPA
    Chocolate's a messy, smelly, and fairly disgusting ride, but usually not fatal unless in huge amounts (relatively speaking), grapes and some fruits are poisonous. Some houseplants as well. Poinsettia, oleander, many succulents to name a few.
    Sooo, treat your place with a new pup like you would with a toddler. Just like kids, dogs are curious buggers and for whatever reason, just like kids when they see something, "this looks interesting" is usually followed by "I wonder what it tastes like". Go figure.
    In any case, like most toxics, a tiny bite or lick usual won't kill 'em but they can get pretty sick. And of course who doesn't love a dog with a case of the squirts?
     
  9. soundchaser59

    soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    11,441
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    Location:
    River City / Star City
    Grapes, chocolate, and almonds is what I've heard mostly.
    Long term I think it's good to feed them grain free food. In a pinch out in the wild, I don't think wheat or grains would be the dog's choice for survival. Not to mention what we are suspecting wheat does to the guts and the joints.

    I have trouble understanding why my dog can eat a full bowl of food, then go out 5 minutes later and eat crabgrass and rabbit turds. On the other hand I've seen my dog pick up a baby rabbit and chew it while she's running away from me, swallow it whole, and I never see any adverse effects from it in the ensuing days and weeks. She is as smug as can be after that trick, like she did me a huge favor and it's no charge.
     
  10. cutaway

    cutaway Supporting Member

    Messages:
    16,792
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    North Carolina
    It varies in the dog I guess. My mini schnauzer ate an entire bag of Hershey Kisses xmas 95 and just pooped multi-colored foil for two days. Only lived to be 15.
     
  11. tiktok

    tiktok Supporting Member

    Messages:
    20,709
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    I've had to take one of my dogs to the emergency vet twice for chocolate consumption.
     
  12. Tony Done

    Tony Done Member

    Messages:
    3,282
    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2017
    Location:
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Macadamias. My dog will sometimes sit and chew the hard shells from the tree in my garden, as if she knows that there is something edible inside. At least it cleans her teeth.

    I asked my vet mate about grape poisoning, and he said it seemed to be regional. IIRC, he said that no cases had been reported here in Australia.
     
  13. AbstractLunatic

    AbstractLunatic Member

    Messages:
    4,609
    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2005
    Location:
    Denver
    My cousin's dog, a little rescued poodle that has had a hard life, ate raisin(s) and all my cousin's friends are telling her anecdotal stories how the dog will be fine. I told her to call a vet right away but we don't really get along so she isn't taking my suggestion seriously. :(

    Anyway, it made me wonder if stuff actually goes wrong with dogs (pets) because I have had a lot of dogs and even more cats and never had any kind of poisoning.
     
  14. Tone_Terrific

    Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

    Messages:
    27,371
    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2004
    Location:
    Canada-GTA
    Way back when I was a kid the old family dog would eat almost everything without major catastrophes. Chocolate, ice cream, grapes, dog food, dead fish..really dead.
    I know..it was better before.
     
  15. soundchaser59

    soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    11,441
    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    Location:
    River City / Star City
    I was told the thing with grapes is they leave some residual mineral in the kidneys that make the dog very susceptible to kidney stones. We used to have a grape vine on the fence, and the dog would eat them incessantly. One night the dog was laying on the pad and just spontaneously started yelping in pain and thrusting her nose toward her sides. In retrospect it could have been kidney stone pain. She was also drinking inordinate amounts of water. We removed the grape vine and never noticed another problem like that.
     
    Spooky Action likes this.
  16. el_bastardo

    el_bastardo Member

    Messages:
    1,030
    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2018
    I had a wiener dog that would eat almost anything. Chocolate, onions, grapes, olives, roaches, frogs, snakes, flower stems- anything except jalapenos. She didn't like the heat. She lived to 18 years. We had to put her down not because of sickness, but because she got doggie dementia. Sad. Dog alzheimers is a weird ride.

    I also had an Australian Shepherd eat an entire bag of mini reeses peanut butter cups and half an Easter chocolate bunny . Not the hollow kind either. The solid bad boy. He was fine - he just shat a bunch of gold foil the next day.

    I wouldn't intentionally feed a dog anything they're not "supposed" to have, but I don't believe their digestive and immune systems are as frail as these dogs-do-not-eat lists suggest.
     
    time2kill likes this.
  17. griggsterr

    griggsterr Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,789
    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2014
    Location:
    Midwest
    Anti freeze, It's also very toxic to humans. A family accross the street several years ago, left some out after their dad had changed out the anti freeze, dog got into it. Didn't last long.
    I had a yorkie that got hold of some ibuprofen it killed him.
     
    Ryno1331 likes this.
  18. lefort_1

    lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    13,178
    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2012
    Location:
    Oregon

    Please tell your cousin to quit listening to jackasses (like those of us on TGP, or friends with potentially lethal anecdotes) and instead just do some reaslly basic research from a place that has some authority on the subject.

    EXAMPLE:

    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/raisins-and-grapes

    It looks like dogs have variable susceptibility to raisins/grapes/currants, and the exact pathologic/metabolic pathway is not fully understood.
    But by reading this I get the feeling that it may be a toxic event... at least worth a call to a good vet.
     
  19. AbstractLunatic

    AbstractLunatic Member

    Messages:
    4,609
    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2005
    Location:
    Denver
    Cousin reported doggie is a-ok this morning whew...
     
    derekd likes this.
  20. derekd

    derekd Supporting Member

    Messages:
    35,862
    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    In a van down by the river
    Ex-wife had a Jack Russell mix who got into one of those large Hershey chocolate bars and ate it all.

    Killed the poor little guy.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice