• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Things that made you go ... YA RIGHT ...

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
I recently had that experience with a friends Line 6 Unit when he tried to convince me he could dial in a Binson Echorec ... having played the original I was amused at the imitation, but definitly not Binson territory

Another thing is the '72 Wide range buckers in the new reissue teles, that sound NOTHING like the originals

In guitar lore, I recently got a Gretsch Duo Jet and my neighbour who owns an original 62 said the old ones sound better ...

YA RIGHT ... at least my binding ain't falling off

Any of you guys ever have a similar experience ?

XKnight

So, the Line 6 sounds nothing like the original, the new Reissue 72 Tele pups sound nothing like the original, but you don't believe that your new Gretsch may not sound as good as a 62 original. What am I missing here?

BobbyRay

Silver Supporting Member
So, the Line 6 sounds nothing like the original, the new Reissue 72 Tele pups sound nothing like the original, but you don't believe that your new Gretsch may not sound as good as a 62 original. What am I missing here?
You missed nothing. That's exactly how I read it too.

ssdeluxe

yup, its what us gtr peeps do. we tend not to dis our own stuff.
but I'm not sure what the op is getin' @ hear. hmmmm.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The new Gretschs are great, but sorry, they don't sound as sweet as the old ones.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I remember when that Gibson guitar company came out with this new kind of 'hum-bucking' pickup and said it would be serious competition for the trusty Fender single coil....... YA RIGHT!

Mudder

Unless you can find someone to make you a wide range pickups with those rare and expensive magnets the originals used, you'll never hear that tone unless it's an original.

benjammin420

I was at the store comparing fenders, shopping for a new strat. I liked the classic 60s neck shape, but wanted to compare it to a classic 50s. I asked the clerk, they didnt have any in stock, but he hands me a CS Nocaster with this tree trunk U neck and tells me this is what fender 50s-style necks are like. Even though Ive played various RI strats, and know what the necks are like, I said "I thought i read that strats are supposed to have 'V' shaped necks?' he said "no, this is what 50s necks are like"

YA RIGHT

Last edited:

Goo Fighters

That Rich Harris' (Ibanezrules.com) set-ups are SO much better than on the stock high-end Ibanez guitars. A lot of amateur players buy into that crap. His multi-tiered packages top out at $350 for the 'platinum' treatment. It's all hype IMO. I guarantee I could make a stock Jem 555 sound exactly like one of his 'platinum' Jem 7V's.