Things that make you feel old…

LPVM

I used to think about how cool it will be when I retire. I fantasized about setting up my dream music room. I've collected a lot of interesting amps over the years and often thought how great it would be to have access to all of them whenever I wanted.

For the last few years my wife and have been taking care of our aging parents. Seeing them and all of their siblings lose mobility, their health start to decline and ultimately die off has been rough. It's really made me think about my own mortality which makes me feel old. I've considered their age when the wheels started to fall off the bus and how old I will be when I retire and I've come to realize there won't be much time to enjoy the life I've dreamt of. It won't be what I've dreamt of all my life.

About 2 months ago I rearranged my office and set up heavy duty shelving in the corner to put all of my amp heads on. I kept a space on the bottom open for my rack which I've added a lot of vintage pieces to in the last 2 years. I can roll it in and out of it's storage space as needed when recording without having to disconnect or connect anything. I've used more of my gear in the last 2 months than any time I can remember. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer.

Last edited:

Jaguar

That album that you like and still listen to is from 1991.... (and you feel since then not much has happend in the music industry)

Buck Woodson

I watched Empire of the Sun which (to me) didn't seem like it was made that long ago. The actor that played the little English boy was Christian Bale.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Since this is in the Amp Forum …

I just picked up a nice deal on a Friedman 2x12 cab. Looks brand new and sounds great! Then I noticed it only has a handle on top. Why no side handles, Dave Friedman! Lol

This thought would not have crossed my mind 5 years ago. I would have thought, “wow, this is much lighter than my 4x12s”

LaXu

I shake my head at young people and how they tolarate auto-tune as effect on vocals. To me it sounds like the connecting sound of a modem in the 1990s.

While popular music has had about 90% crap for ages, I feel the bar has been significantly lowered since the 2010s. I hate going to a grocery store and forgetting to take my headphones because the music they play on speakers is straight up drivel.

giphy-downsized.gif

In terms of guitar gear, I remember when a lot of gear was crap. People were looking at which South Korean made guitars were worth buying and which had a ton of flaws. Nowadays you can buy a Squier that is well made and costs next to nothing. Amps today in every price bracket are better than ever. Not to mention all the things that have happened in pedals and digital stuff, to the point that I don't even care to own amps anymore.

mysticaxe

Silver Supporting Member
When the song first came out, I heard the lyrics "she's only 17" and (because I was actually younger than that) it didn't seem that creepy. Now I have a 16 year old daughter and feel differently about those lyrics...

Edwood

Gold Supporting Member
61 Years for me! John Lennon and George and Charlie Watts gone? WTF happened, Where did time go?

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
Had to pause a show recently (and do some ad libbing with the crowd) because one band member got a cramp in his leg.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
had to sell my 2 4-12 bottoms because i cant lift them anymore.
they been laying around a few years. figure might as a well put them to good use and sold them
bought 2 1-12s instead

DrJamie

Gold Supporting Member
Orange 4x10 cab on sale, sounds awesome, Marshall-style side handles, 60lbs, no sale.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
That my favorite albums came out fifty years ago and can now be found in your average antiques store.

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
Being born in the “1900s”.

You walk into a gas station and the sign on the counter says, “you can buy tobacco products if you were born before X date”. Yeah.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I was at the US Festival in 1983 as a 17 year old punk..... That will be 40 years ago in a few months! Argh!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom