"think for yourself" fuzz tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by adelphi710, Feb 6, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

does anyone have any idea what kind of fuzz pedal was used in "think for yourself" on rubber soul? amp/guitar? thanks!
    alex

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

Rickenbacker bass through Maestro fuzz.

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

bass? that sounds like a guitar to me..in the right speaker?

4. monstermike

monstermike Member

You mean the really loud fuzztone playing a countermelody through the whole song? Paul playing bass. Check out the notes - he goes WAY lower than low E on the guitar.

Plus, he's credited with "fuzz bass" on the LP jacket as well.

5. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

so did he double track bass in this song? cause i definitely hear the bass playing as well. i figured the guitar could be in a lower tuning, i did notice how low it goes.

6. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I believe it was a Vox Tonebender. For a modern version of the pedal, check out D*A*M's 66 pedal.

7. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Yes, definitely fuzz bass. The book Beatles Gear by Andy Babiuk suggests that the fuzz may have been a Tone Bender prototype.

8. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

thats cool, so paul does double track then? i was always curious because i thought i noticed it in other songs too

9. muddy

muddy Member

my FAVORITE george toon!!! well-l-l-l... that & "i want to tell you."

ml

10. moodog

moodog Member

That is so not a Vox Tonebender on that cut. They did use Vox Tonebenders but that's not one on that cut.

11. monstermike

monstermike Member

Yes, the fuzz bass is an overdub. This is about the same time that the Beatles and George Martin were inventing the modern recording session, so overdubbing a second bass track was the least of their unusual accomplishments...

There are pictures of a Maestro in the Abbey Road studio during Beatles sessions (earlier records, though), so it's reasonable to guess that they had one or more to play with. And that tone sounds to me like the same sort of fuzz effect as "Satisfaction," which is definitely a Maestro.

12. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I don't know about that--my old 67 Vox Tonebender pretty much nails that sound.

13. moodog

moodog Member

I don't want to come off crass (just trying to help), but I have several vintage Vox Tonebender's of different makes. The one they would have to be using due to the time-line if the album came out in 1966 would have been the two transistor version.
    But the Rubber Soul came out in 1965. I'm not saying that it's not possible they got a hold of a prototype Vox Tonebender but even if they did it would have been the two transistor version and that version sounds nothing like what's on that track.
    If you have a two transistor Vox Tonebender that nails that track I would suggest that you take it in to have it serviced because you are missing out on a wonderful fuzz pedal.
    My two transistor nails a lot of Beatles tunes from about Pepper's to the White Album after that it sounds like mostly cranked amps with a few spots that sound like Vox Tonebenders but itÂ’s anybody's guess.
    I would go so far as to say no Vox Tonebenders at all. Why? They used solid state Vox amps pretty heavy during this period (Pepper's to White Album) and those versions they had a built-in fuzz circuit (my guess the same as the two transistor tonebender). But there are quite a few tracks on the White Album that have Leslie's with fuzz in there (sounds like a 2 transistor Vox TB) and some that just don't sound like the Vox SS amp. They also made use of an old Selmer amp that when cranked has some of the most distinctive "Beatles Fuzz" you've ever heard. This amp was used on a lot of albums and was acquired by George in their early years before they made it big.

I'm with the Fuzztone on this one...
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

14. thebot

thebot Member

According to Guitarist magazine (UK mag) it's a Tonebender. They did an effects special last summer (I think) and they ran through the effects used on a lot of great tracks. Obviously they could be wrong and to be honest I wouldn't know any better but for what it's worth.....

15. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

Ironically, I bought my Vox tonebender, specifically because my band, at that time, was doing a cover of that song. Sure, the 2 transistor Tonebender is capable of so many more sounds, but with the proper string dampening (foam) and EQ, a pretty close reproduction can be had. Of course, that was many years ago and I'm just going by memory. I might hear it differently if I were to attempt it today.

16. moodog

moodog Member

I've also read in a rag that it was the Selmer amp, and that's not the Selmer cranked on that one.
    I've also read that it was a Sola Sound three transistor MKII Tonebender on that track too and that is just poposterous as those came out later.

That's a Fuzztone...

This was the heyday of the Fuzztone craze and everyone had to have one, including the Beatles. If it's not a Fuzztone it's one of the many Fuzztone knock-offs that were out during the period.

17. moodog

moodog Member

They also had a six string Fender bass that George owned. These things basically sound like a baratone guitar. My guess it is this instrument that you hear on this track with a Fuzztone.
    I would even guess that it is George that is playing that riff and they did not overdub Paul for that one.
    Or it could be George on 4 sting bass and Paul on 6 string "Fuzz Bass".
    If you listen to the track it sounds like one clean guitar, one bass, and the "Fuzz Bass" and of course Ringo...

18. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

The Fender Bass VI didn't appear until the "White Album" sessions, if not later.

19. moodog

moodog Member

George got one way before the White Album and my guess is they used it on this track.
    I've been listening to the track some more today and its "Bass Fuzz" does sound very much like a baratone guitar. There's a couple passes that you can make out what sounds like first position chords being strummed here and there (between all the Fuzztone garble). Hard to do on 4 string bass, easy on a "6 string bass" (it's really a baratone that Fender called a 6 string bass).
    After listening to it some more, my guess:
    George on bass, Paul on "Fuzz Bass" (Fender 6 string bass with Fuzztone), John pulling guitar duties, Ringo on drums and George Martin playing backup on organ.

20. ABKB

ABKB Member

I tend to agree with Mooddog here. If you listen to "Word" on the same album, it sounds like there is a baritone guitar/bass (I think it was called a Fender VI or something like that) playing in parts of that as well. Only without the fuzz. Listen to the verse parts where just John is singing. Sounds like a bass and a baritone playing.