Think I have BAD GAS - HVAC heating guys - help!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by S. F. Sorrow, Mar 3, 2015.

1. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

My furnace shut down again. Assume it's water in the gas line again. See orange coloring in the blue flames.
    Two years ago when it was very cold and had the furnace, dryer and stove running it caused the water meter outside to freeze up. No gas at all then. Gas company purged water out of the outside underground lines. They put ugly insulation around the meter and has been fine.
    Oh yeah, I'm the last house way down a street on a downgrade. Probably the gas line ends at my house.
    Over the past two years the meter readers have been ripping open the insulation to read it.
    A couple days ago had the furnace, dryer and hot water tank going and then the furnace shut down (Carrier with computer control). I restarted it with no other appliances and it's working again.

Questions: Is the orange coloring in the blue flames because of water again? Is this tainted gas? Am I being charged for inefficient gas?
    Our gas bill seems high for such a small house and an efficient furnace.

Thanks!

2. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

Either that or excess air from a cracked heat exchanger?

3. madstrat

madstrat Member

i don't see how the gas appliances made the water meter freeze...?

does the furnace give a code when it locks out?

no drip legs?

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

It was the Sub-zero tempurture that made water in the gas meter outside freeze. It was choking gas flow into the house.

What I'm wondering is if water vapor is getting into the appliances and making them less efficient - thus getting a bigger gas bill.

Why the heck is there water in gas companies lines to begin with?

5. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

I know it can be a nightmare dealing with the gas company.
    Why not confirm it with them? Or did they confirm it already. They should remedy the situation, of course taking their sweet ass time. I imagine some residual water is normal but an abundance perhaps not. We had our furnace and A/C replace last year. Fwiw.