Think I want to mod my Bogner xtc in insane ways

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Drastically,

Have the marvel mod and pretty much have determined pre2004 mode is best.

But I hate an amp where you can have excursion tight, presence noon, treble noon, mids noon, and bass almost off and still have the amp feel like there is 20 wool blankets covering the amp.

First I dont think there is a enough negative feedback in power section.

Presence control is too broad and can sound to strident and ice picky when at 2:30 or above(which is needed to get blanket sound off)

Excursion is not focused enough and too muffled and knocky sounding and you almost have to crank presence to compensate for added mud.( unlike the womp II on pt100, can be on full with presence off and sound useable) but any way I dont use these resonance, excursion, womps switches anyway, Never felt they were needed.

I almost want to completely over all the bogner or sell it.

I want the amp less modern sounding but still want some 80 style gain levels.

Want more of a power section of JTM45 ( more negative feedback) I guess I could just move the feedback loop to 16 ohm tap.

I want the presence control to be more focused and not as smeared sounding as it is now( Lower cap on presence control I guess)

Excursion crap could be removed and switches could be used to revoice the initial input to have stronger mid focus to stronger mid and treble focus.

Treble knob seems to hifi in its sweep like its only affecting 8k and above.

I guess I would love to have the Bogner red channel be voiced like the Soldano SLO 100 lead channel.
    The Blue channel voiced to be more plexi(which kinda already is but need it a tad present and clear)

The power section could be revamped entirely to be more like what Suhr does with his PT100 but since I dont like resonance so the excursion switches can be repurposed(I know i said this before)

Over all I like high gain vintage style versus high gain modern style amps

See if I sell the amp and matching 4x12 I could at most get 3 grand total

But I betch I can mod this sucker for $500 bucks to have it be exactly what I want.

What say you, thoughts? Thinks of calling some amp builders and ask what they can do for me mod wise.

2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I agree completely. The XTC 101B was the one amp I really looked forward to for a long time, but was super disappointed after getting it.

The dark, muffled, distant, undefined, sound... and lack of enough presence and high-end cut, pretty much sum up my thoughts on the XTC... and most Bogners in general. I've owned several Uberschalls that had the same flawed basic tone issues.

I'd say sell it and move on. Lots of other great amps out there.

3. B Money

B Money Member

Sounds like maybe the "Bogner sound" isn't for you anymore. That's ok, peoples tastes change, you should be able to sell it and have enough to find something else that makes you happy.

If I were going to sell my XTC, I think I would look at either a PT100, or a Budda SD45. Or even the Tweaker 88, that's a cool amp. Lots of good choices for you, and it's never been a better time to buy used.

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you mod the XTC for $500 I think you'll not necessarily know what you end up with tone wise*. And after then IMHO you'll find not many folks want to purchase a used modded boutique amp unless it was done by the OEM. Sell the XTC if you are not happy with it.

*Just because YOU think you know what it will sound like doesn't mean it will come out this way. If so, then you'd not be posting all the time how unhappy you with nearly every phenominal amplifier you've owned.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

if you want a different amp, buy a different amp.

if you wanted the amp modded, reinhold bogner might be a good choice for modifying it.

have you tried other speaker cabs & speakers, in a fairly thorough way?
    guitars & pickups?
    bias is close to correct?
    no funky tubes, in there?
    caps ok?

but, anyways:
    if you really want a different amp, seek, find & buy a different amp.

just my useless 2¢, of course;
    i never experienced the "wool-blankets-over-speakers-effect" with the 3 old ecstasy amps i used
    for the recording of the "friday night lights" film-score.

6. RSRD

RSRD Member

I just demo'd the xtc and own the 20th shiva and I have no idea what you are talking about. The xtc was an amazing amp. I Always worried about the cleans but channel one really sparkled with the bright switch. It had real piano like tones. Channel 2 was nice and open with some great gritty crunch. Not dark AT ALL. Channel 3 was beastly. Very compressed and great for leads.

I'd like to know what amp you found to be better?? The xtc is definitely the next amp I'll be getting. Just don't know of I want to go with the 20th, classic or 101.

OP, I agree that you should just sell and move on. Getting things modded would be risky and take too much tome to get done. Why not trade it for something else on your radar?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Wizard of Ozz

Pretty much any Marshall 2203... or my current rig consisting of a Suhr PT100 and a Soldano SLO 100... both of which do everything the XTC can... and simply sound much better to me.

Do a search here, I'm far from alone when referring to the XTC as dark, muffled, smooth, spongy, with a slow attack, undefined bottom and far too compressed.

YMMV.

8. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

This was my finding with it as well.

I tried everything to make it work for me and it just didnt and wasn't going to do it for me. Sold it and moved on.

To the OP....welcome to the world of the XTC.

9. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Yep, I have been playing my PT100 and 3+se way more. Well like I said, the xtc will be corrected sooner or later. Hopefully something good can come from it.

10. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Add me to this list as well, hmm, thought it was just me, I even thought about buying another just to try again.

11. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Whats funny is that the xtc isnt really bass heavy per se when in tight mode, but still is dark. Like if the input signal is weak or something in the begiining gain stages is being attenuated too much.

Yes you can use bright switches but find the bright switches too much if you dont use that much gain, also the presence is not as clear and focused as other amps I have played. So you either have too dark or shrill and flat sounding.

I was dumb, i bought the amp because I like Steve Vai's sound on alien love secrets and firegarden. Didn't play one enough before hand

12. Wizard of Ozz

You are not alone my friend. :beer

The lack of presence and upper-mid high-end bite was a big conundrum to me as well. I also tweaked and tweaked to no avail. Some like a darker, spongy, compressed tone... I'm just not one of those people. I grew up using Marshalls... mainly JCM800 2203s... so that a sound I'm familiar and at home with... not the Bogner-ized version of it.

13. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

Well maybe after mine is moded, the only thing original will be the cosmetics, transformers, tubes :)

14. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Sell it and cut your losses, imo.

15. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Personally, I'd sell the amp and keep the cab. Not worth modding, imho, you won't get your money back and will have a hard time selling to anyone but someone who hears it in person, again, imho.

16. RCM78

RCM78 Member

There definitely seems to be players that dont get along with the XTC and those that love it.

I started out regretting my purchase. I agree the amp doesnt have much negative feedback. It makes the amp stiff and difficult to play. It showcases bad playing and rewards good playing. Once I started using the amp with a full band I did a complete turn around and really like the amp...

I run mine into a Mesa Halfback 4X12 with V-30's. I have the classic so only one presence control and it's at 3:00, Blue and Red EQ are Bass 2:00 - Mid 11:00 - Treble 3:00. Blue channel is set to B1with the gain at 2:00, Red is in Plexi mode and also in B1with gain dimed.
    Power section is running in Class A, Full Power, Old modes.

I really dont have any issues with compression or wool blanket syndrome at this setting. I find the treble and presence controls to be very musical with these speakers.

I'm glad I bought the amp. It serves my purposes at the moment.

I am gassing for a PT100 though!!!

17. RSRD

RSRD Member

Agree that it's all personal preference. For me, and some, the Bogner is the end all be all. But there are others who dont like them. Goes for all amps and guitars.

The marshall 2203 is horrible IMO. I never found one worth $1. The PT100 seems like it would be an amazing amp and Im hoping to try one some day soon. The SLO is a wonderful amp as well.

18. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

Sounds like you need a different amp.

19. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

Really???? One of the easiest amps in the world to get good tone out of. You have to push it with a OD or clean boost, but horrible?