Think I'd dig a THD Flexi???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimfog, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

I've been curious about these for a while, but haven't had a chance to spend any time with one.

I mostly play Teles and Strats into a DR with Celestion and modded to be thicker, or an AC30. I LOVE the 60's-early 70's Marshall thing when other folks do it, but haven't had much success myself.......always too bright and harsh and need to be too loud for my gigs to do that thing we love.

Too bright is always a problem for me......I want clarity, but fatness.

The most luck I've had with anything even in that range is a Dr Z Route 66.........I loved that amp dearly, but always hoped for a wee bit more highs and tonally flexibility.

Still......I'd like to have something Marshall-y in the stable, if possible. Especially with good cleans, good MV and a boost.

So, with that in mind.......Think I might dig the Flexi?

Whaddya think?

Thanks!

- Jim

2. stump

stump Member

I've had a Flexi for about three years and still love it. It can do all of the things that you've mentioned and then some, but don't expect it to copy any specific amplifier as it has it's own voice. Expect to spend a lot of time trying different tubes and spinning knobs. It's a great amp IMHO and is very "Flexible". That being said this things got a bunch of cool and usable features- 1. A good master volume 2. Switchable between 20 and 50 watts 3. Good effects loop 4. Responsive EQ section 5. Built like a tank 6. Awesome service and response from the Manufacturer 7. Sounds great with all of my guitars and speaker cabs. If you call THD and ask Andy Marshall or Ed Degenaro, if he's around, the question that you posted, they will let you know if it's for you. I did this originally when I wasn't sure which of their amps would be best for me and Ed pointed me to the Univalve rather than telling me to buy the Flexi- their flagship amp. I found that to be refreshing as I really wasn't sure that any of their amps was right for me. When I bought the Flexi I did the same thing and Ed mentioned some other suitable amps- I chose the Flexi because it was more bang for the buck than the other options AND because Ed was so damned honest and helpful. THD is a real class act.

Here's another place to visit for info. http://www.univalve.net/vbulletin/

3. ?&!

?&! Member

I have played all the THD production amps, and I own a Univalve. They are AWESOME. If I ever need a fire-breathing 50 watter again, the Flexi will definitely be it. It sounds like a Class-A Plexi, which is totally unique. Try one, and I'm pretty sure you'll dig it!!!

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

First off take my opinion with a whole bucket o'salt since I work for THD.
    The Flexi is my fave amp period, but that's because I know rather well. :)
    From what you desribe I'd say a Flexi the way it coms shipped won' be a perfect match. However a Flexi biased to 33 mil with a 34 and 6550 together will.
    I got a clip or 12 on my site...

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Thanks guys.......

From the clips I've heard, the gain is right on.

My only concern would be the brightness factor. Is it an especially bright amp, or?

I know it's weird that I prefer teles and Deluxes or Ac30's but I'm constantly battling that high-end thing. I want the piano brilliance available, but hate when it's piercing. My Dr and Vox have been modded to tame the highs and fatten up the mids.

I think the way I pick tends to thin things out, so it's always a concern.

Thanks!

PS......Ed, I've always found you to be RIDICULOUSLY even-handed and honest about THD and other products, so your advice is more than welcome......cheers!

6. Ed DeGenaro

It can be bright, if dialed by eye. Dialed by ear no.
    Best example is this...
    http://www.thdelectronics.com/THD_media_page.html

7. Ed DeGenaro

Jim the other thing I forgot to mention, the way I set min up is that I have a pretty dirty crunch sound and since my guitars have the caps on the volume so they don't go muddy I turn the guitar down for clean with my gainy soun. And then when I turn it up it goes from open and spanky to woody and compressed.

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Thanks, Ed.

The more I read up, the more I think a BiValve might be more my style. I don't really need a boost, as I dig pedals.

9. markp

markp Member

Interesting,
    For me the FLEXI is the one amp I dont need volume caps on guitar.

An to JIM,
    no worries on brightness,as dark and or bright as you want,Listen to chriss nix on the THD link Ed provide.

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

A Bivalve will be brighter than the Flexi. Don't let the features throw you off. I haven't even undone the zipties on the footswitch cable for my Flexi. The boost stays on 100% of the time, and I use the guitar volume.