Think the HD500 actually does sound better after the 1.3 update

Axe-Man

Tried it today through my amps power amp (fx return) and I think it actually does sound 'better'.

Actually is was pretty decent sounding.

I'll have to experiment some more but this is promising...using it in the 4cm may now be possible and I might be able to switch preamps in an out and be quite happy with the sound.

How have other users found it?

I may now have the ability to turn my Plexi into a multi-channel amp...that is a very tempting thought!

GuitarTone

Try the Line 6 Elektrik.
With humbuckers I crank the mids, treble and presence, gain & bass halfway. (add the Tubescreamer and it's instant controlled feedback).
Try the gain all the way from zero, it sounds great with very low gain as well.

HHB

I have a 400 but I do think the upgrade improved the sound. I'm using a small FBT powered mixer and a 112 EV wedge, it's massive. I've been lucky enought to spend time w/ many of the vintage amps they modeled, they really reflect the amp qualities. I'm very satisfied w/ my HD, amazing tool for the price of an analog delay!

prkaye

Almost all of the threads about the HD series seem to focus on the HD500. From the viewpoint of how it sounds (notwithstanding dual amp rigs), is it correct to say that they will all (HD300,400,500) sound identical? does the 1.3 upgrade provide the same improvements to all versions?

Jim Soloway

Almost all of the threads about the HD series seem to focus on the HD500. From the viewpoint of how it sounds (notwithstanding dual amp rigs), is it correct to say that they will all (HD300,400,500) sound identical? does the 1.3 upgrade provide the same improvements to all versions?
I started with a 500 and downgraded to a 300, both to reduce the size and because I wasn't ever going to use a lot of the added features on the 500. The basic sounds are very close if not identical but since the feature set is more limited, there are some sounds that can be obtained from the 500 that you can't get with the 300.

I made the move to the 300 before 1.31 came out so I can't compare them but the difference it made to the 300 was substantial. Certain models improved to the point of becoming favorites and more importantly, the added controls allowed me to get a better sound out of pretty much any model I use.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I found the difference obvious. But I was happy before.

I'm mostly thrilled with the additional Fender amp models. I'm one who likes the Bassman bright channel and I don't clip the bright caps on Deluxes either.

kleydj13

I really like it since the update. The bright bassman is a great new model that I use tons for warm cleans. I also have found the master volume control essential for dialing back low end woof. I am very happy overall :aok

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
I also have found the master volume control essential for dialing back low end woof.
Yup. Also I find dialing the sag to zero reduces some of the mush on the higher gain amps like the Park, JCM 800 and Recto.

FWIW the park and JCM both had SS rectifiers so it would be CORRECT to set the sag to zero for these amps. The recto obviously gives you a choice but in the digital realm I find sag to be the enemy of "tight" high gain.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
Yup. Also I find dialing the sag to zero reduces some of the mush on the higher gain amps like the Park, JCM 800 and Recto.

FWIW the park and JCM both had SS rectifiers so it would be CORRECT to set the sag to zero for these amps. The recto obviously gives you a choice but in the digital realm I find sag to be the enemy of "tight" high gain.

+1

Agreed whole heartedly

guitarnet70

Controlling Sag and Master also helps making pedals sound better. I have a Zendrive2 and an AC Plus in the loop and they both sounds now a lot more as they are supposed to. The Deluxe and the JTM are very good for those things...

erikm5150

For anyone with a 300 or 400, is the "LIVE CAB" setting (for running into a power amp) just as good as the "NO CAB" setting in the 500?
Are they pretty close?

gurumonkey

actually, no, but you wouldn't know that unless you watched line 6's ustream video where they have an engineer talking about the new controls.

Anything that didn't have controls sag, they made 12 o'clock the way that the amp is supposed to sound. As a matter of fact, they put a good deal of thought into making sure that the controls replicated the amps they modeled, but still offered additional tone shaping features.

so noon is "zero" for those models. they still give you the knob which will affect the sound, but when you go down you're actually cutting something out that was present in the amps that they modeled.

it's a decent video. i'll see if i can find the link.

CaptainCrunch

actually, no, but you wouldn't know that unless you watched line 6's ustream video where they have an engineer talking about the new controls.

Anything that didn't have controls sag, they made 12 o'clock the way that the amp is supposed to sound. As a matter of fact, they put a good deal of thought into making sure that the controls replicated the amps they modeled, but still offered additional tone shaping features.

so noon is "zero" for those models. they still give you the knob which will affect the sound, but when you go down you're actually cutting something out that was present in the amps that they modeled.

it's a decent video. i'll see if i can find the link.
try this link, the engineer is towards the end of the video - http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14975635

Johnkenn

Definitely sounds better...I bought a 500 when they first came out and it didn't just kill me...so I sold it. Bought it again after the 1.3 update and it's tons better to me...

Axe-Man

Just has a play through with the Recto sim and compared it against my preamps (all running through the same rig with a GCX loop switcher) and it DOES sound better. MUCH better.

Last time I did this the HD500 'officially' got shelved as a modeller and was solely thought of as an FX unit a la M13 and a midi controller.

It is still not 100% the same as a tube preamp but it sounds really good...maybe a little less clarity, less natural presence, more compressed and less dynamic but seriously, when you've got that much gain going on, you kinda don't need the dynamics and crave some compression for ease of playing.

If I played this loud through a poweramp most listeners would think it's a tube preamp. I'd be surprised if they thought it sounded digital now...it's lost that thinner, less natural sound IMHO.

I just did some basic tweaking the same as I would with any amps controls to dial it in (no EQ or anything creative) so it was a pretty level playing field but I really did like it.

It also responded extremely well to my external boost pedal. That was kinda surprising. It took the boost pretty much the same as the preamps.

I think the Recto sim now sounds noticably better than the Eleven Rack's version when run through a poweramp.

Axe-Man

Wow...that's quite a statement! Start wearing a flame-proof shirt, 11R crowd is going to chime in soon...:D
Ha!

I own both and am a big proponent of the 11R but the Recto sim straight into a powwramp today sounded really good.

I also used the vibro bright and that was a really nice clean sound...honestly it's not that far away from my Soldano SP77 preamp for a chimey clean tone.

I just find modelling not a flexible when you want to stack drives and muck quickly around. Tubes seem to work better like this but dialed in sound vs dialed in sound...it is getting closer.

I'm really impressed with the HD500 now...it just PACKS is the goodies. FX, midi, now quality modelling, inbuilt controller and lowish cost.

Just wish it had the ability to disable amp blocks and keep the cab/mic sims active.

GuitarKidd

Yes, I will agree, that I am loving the HD500. I loved it before 1.3 and love it still. Just so much this thing can do.. and after a few months, I feel I still haven't tapped into everything yet. I need more free time.

The new Fender Amps(Channels) are very nice, clean and chimey.

JJ321

I've been impressed with the update too. I had a real tough time finding a high gain sound that I liked before the update. After, I literally had one in about two minutes, and to my surprise, it was the recto model that I ended up liking the best.

Trending Topics