• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Think these Blackstar cabs are worth picking up?

Matt300ZXT

I was checking out some gear at the local GC last night in the used department and noticed they had a couple small Blackstar extension cabs. I was looking since I had a guy offer to trade a Tubemeister 18 for my ESP LTD EC1000 I'm not touching since I bought my EBMM and wanted to see what you guys think?

The cabs looked to be in good shape but do not have the factory 70/80s in them anymore. The 112 has a Celestion Greenback and is $150, the 212 has an Eminence Red Coat and a Celestion Greenback and is $200.

Even if I don't take the Tubemeister 18 head in trade, they might be a cool cabinet(s) to pick up to have around. Maybe use my Budda SD45 on the 2x12 or something. Anyways, how do you guys think those prices to quality ratios look and how do you think those 2 speakers might mix on the 2x12?

mlj_gear

I was checking out some gear at the local GC last night in the used department and noticed they had a couple small Blackstar extension cabs. I was looking since I had a guy offer to trade a Tubemeister 18 for my ESP LTD EC1000 I'm not touching since I bought my EBMM and wanted to see what you guys think?

The cabs looked to be in good shape but do not have the factory 70/80s in them anymore. The 112 has a Celestion Greenback and is $150, the 212 has an Eminence Red Coat and a Celestion Greenback and is $200.

Even if I don't take the Tubemeister 18 head in trade, they might be a cool cabinet(s) to pick up to have around. Maybe use my Budda SD45 on the 2x12 or something. Anyways, how do you guys think those prices to quality ratios look and how do you think those 2 speakers might mix on the 2x12?
I think all of the Redcoats, or at least the vast majority of them, are quite a bit more efficient than a Greenback, so you'd probably be hearing an awful lot more of the Eminence than the Celestion (which is not necessarily bad, but something to consider).

The prices seem decent but not great to me if the cabs are in good shape. Are they made of MDF?

Matt300ZXT

Nevermind, this Guitar Center is run by buttholes and they put ALL their used gear out, even if it's before the 30 day police hold it up. So people see something they want, do the research, come up with the money only to be told they can't buy it. When I worked at that store, we kept ALL used gear in the back until the 30 days was up. That way, if someone saw it and wanted it, it was theirs right then.

Anyways, I MIGHT go back July 10th and get both. They were in great shape, and they're the Venue line of extension cabinets. The speaker in the 2x12 was the Red Coat Wizard, so I guess their take on the GT12-75. So a 100 watt 2x12 ain't bad. Could have used it on my Budda SD45 and kept my Stiletto on top of my Mesa 4x12 I bought for it. Everything would have a specific home then.

If I buy both, I might just swap the other Greenback into the 2x12 and sell the 1x12 with the 75 watt speaker in it, or use it for my H&K Tubemeister 18 I just got tonight on a trade. Small cabinet for a small amp, and then the other amps have their own cabinet.

mlj_gear

Yeah, that's lame about your GC. Having been to a whole bunch of GC's over the years, several of them on a fairly regular basis, it's clear than the staff at some -- and especially the managers -- are way better than others.

Just be careful... If the Greenback is the current production "standard" one, it's only a 25w speaker, so the cab is only really going to be made to handle 50 watts, not 100 (assuming that the impedance match between the speakers is pretty good).

I really like the Wizard. It's sounds much better to me than a GT12-75, and sits somewhere between a V30 and a G12H-30.

Trending Topics