1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Think through before you send your pedals to JHS for a mod/recase/rehouse

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mrjuicyy21, Dec 9, 2016.

1. mrjuicyy21

mrjuicyy21 Member

Edit: Josh from JHS just sent me new copies of both pedals and they on the way, will give this thread a final update after receiving it.

Before I tell you anything, I must say the biggest moron in this story, is definitely myself. If I have a list for the bad decisions I made in life, this will be hands down my top five in the list. A̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶k̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶d̶a̶l̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶. For the most part, I just blame myself for making this stupid decision.

So I have a Suhr Riot and a Mesa Flux Drive, and I've been quite happy with them all along. Last year I sent them to JHS for a recase because I really liked the sound with the Riot placed in front of the Mesa, and I didn't really want to pull the pedals out to switch the order for one song, then switch them back into normal order, so I requested JHS for a recase and asked them to put an order toggle between them.

About 3 months later I got the pedal back, and the Mesa was a complete mess. Basically it just lost almost all the gain, it sounded the same with the gain at 3 o'clock or all the way up. And when both pedals were on with the gain turned up, it had a weird squeaking noise that was definitely not the normal feedback you would get with high gain pedals/amps. And about the Riot, it was almost fine but for some reason the voicing switch got replaced from a 3-way switch to a 2-way.

So I told them about the problems and sent it back for a repair, and 2 months later I got it back, and all the problems were still there except for the Riot's voicing switch. I contacted again and they told me they had tested extensively before they sent it back to me, and asked if the problem was my power supply.
    Here's the video of it:

Apparently I was a bit pissed cause I tested it with a Cioks DC5 and a One Spot and it was basically the same result. The guy I had been emailing with even told me both power supply that I tested with were un-isolated, that I might need to get a clean power supply to test it with (man what am I even getting the Cioks for). At that point I felt like it wouldn't change a thing to send it back again (FYI I'm from Hong Kong so it's a bit of a hassle to just send out the pedals), so I visited a local tech for a checkup, and he told me that it will be very tricky to fix as the pedal was wired with black wires only. Like this.[​IMG]

At that time I still had hope for the pedal, so I bought a used Mesa and sent it to the tech to work with. And I also made a video and sent to the JHS guy cause I was told the Mesa sounded just like the demo videos on youtube.
    Here's a side by side comparison:

(I didn't mic that up so the video kinda just showed the difference between their volume level, but seriously the recased one really lost almost all the gain)

And with that I got a refund of $250 (the recase cost $205 with shipping included so I guess the rest of it was for the Mesa), and they finally admitted it was very difficult to work with since there was no schematic for the Mesa around that time. The local tech was never able to operate due to the black wiring, and two weeks ago I got them back with no repairing made on the pedal. So basically I've just thrown almost $400-worth of gear into hell, but since the Riot is still kinda working, I'm gonna find some guy to see if he could put it back into the old enclosure, and if not, I'm probably going to get a used one on the market. Sigh.

Tldr: I sent 2 pedals to JHS for a recase and it basically got wasted. Please do think through before you send out your pedals for a mod.

P.S. sorry for my english

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Miki Dord, hippieboy and pdavidso like this.
  2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

3. AndySertin

AndySertin Member

Well that sucks, they should have been upfront with you and said they were learning as they went. Sorry to hear it, more sorry to read it.

Abram4235 likes this.
  4. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Top 5 life mistake?...oh the shame I feel right now. Good luck with your pedals!

Dashface, DwightX, hdahs143 and 11 others like this.
  5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Confused why it took them three months to do a simple rehouse and then did amateur-level wiring and soldering work. Only black wires? Who does that? 101 EE.

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Weird. JHS is usually super awesome - especially when they have the schematics and clone them as their own. I guess they get more confused when they have to make executive decisions on their own. Bummer.

7. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

thats about what i expect from them. youd think w their outrageously expensive clones they could afford to compensate you for the pedals they ruined.

disgusting and totally unprofessional.

8. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

Pretty much confirms suspicions about JHS... Would have been simple enough to rehouse both circuits and have the output of one feed into the other. From there, they could have looked at a toggle switch to see how the signal is sent and wire it up. Then you're only problem would be input/output impedance from one circuit to the other so you don't overload anything. Of course I'm not an EE or anything, so I could be missing something. But that's still a better approach then they took. That's a hack job, and shows a complete lack of critical thinking skills. I'm not even sure why they needed a schematic of the mesa pedal?? I guess they should have found a pedal that actually does what you want, bought it, cloned it, and then did your rehouse.

9. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

You were asking for such a simple mod. How in the hell did the F that one up?

10. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

It takes time due to high demand for recases. Last year they held onto my HW Eternity Burst and Super Sic for about 3 months before contacting me to say they could no longer do hand painted work; they no longer had an artist. They offered a screen print or to send it back with a free pedal.. Since I'm a "want what I want" kinda guy, I opted for the free pedal.

tbader and Cgkindler like this.
  11. huevos

huevos Member

You give them too much credit. That hack job looks more like a 3rd grade science fair project.

12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Don't worry. JHS and their rabid defenders will be in here soon telling us that they meant well and that this is actually the OP's fault.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  13. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I had a Dano French Toast rehoused by them this year or last year (can't remember). It works fine although I don't think it sounds quite the same; granted that can be difficult to verify. I think it took 2-3 months at least and you tend to forget exactly how things sounded.

14. misa

misa Silver Supporting Member

What a POS-looking rehouse (internally at least). I'm glad you were able to get a refund. None of the work performed requires much skill or schematics, really just a paint-by-numbers kind of thing. Thanks for sharing with us the quality of work we should expect from JHS. I'm sure anyone with some interest in electronics could help sort you out.

...and great English by the way, your passage was better written than most around here

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  15. JonnyQ

JonnyQ Member

They essentially destroyed your pedals.

Not only should they have refunded you the money for the "rehousing" but compensated you to purchase replacement pedals.

Just Horrific Service

hippieboy, Jaydnt, Hitchens and 15 others like this.
  16. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

JHS?

"Junior High School"?

17. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

18. orogeny

orogeny Member

same as it ever was

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd be pretty upset with that level of "work" even if the pedal worked perfectly. Housing a pair of PCB boards in a box is not trivial, and if one of the pedals used relay switching, for example, it could have been hairy... But that dog's breakfast of wire and "insulation" and boards stacked willy-nilly? It's an insult to charge $200 for that! For $200, learn to solder by buying a couple of BYOB pedals and do the job yourself!

Miki Dord, Pixies2005 and amdowell like this.
  20. ellsworthman

ellsworthman The Geezer of Gear Silver Supporting Member

I looked at the wiring photo before I read the OP's initial post, and I thought at first this was a this1smyne hack job. I wasn't far off.

Axe_34, nastynate, kd001 and 3 others like this.