Thinking aboot modding my guitar neck (sanding/stripping the neck)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisrocksusa, Feb 9, 2012.

1. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

it's not a high value guitar, but it means a lot to me (so I don't want to ruin it)

it's an LTD -EC 1k

I'm interested in having a luthier sand and strip the neck down to the raw wood. I used to have an ebmm petrucci sig and it had a raw wood neck, felt pretty nice.

my concern is that I don't want to ruin the neck. eventually won't the oils in my hand degrade it? Is it better to have the guy put a thin coat of varnish/lacquer (or whatever it is they use on strats) on the neck to protect it?

if it's not necessary to put some sort of finish on the neck, what do you I need to do to maintain the neck?

2. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I'm not sure if this is what you want or not, but you could try taking a scotch brite pad to the back of the neck to make it feel more satiny. Takes 5 minutes. I have done it to a few of my glossy necks and I like the results. Not bare wood, but may give you the affect your looking for.

3. partsocaster

partsocaster Member

Ok, may get blasted for it but if I get a guitar with a gloss neck, the first thing I do is take 220 grit sandpaper to it and bring it almost to wood, then I take #0000 steel wool (ultra fine) and spend about 45 minutes smoothing it out and blending in the headstock and heel so it's nice and slick. I make sure the wood is still sealed, don't want moisture wrecking a good neck but playability is key.

You can also just skip the sandpaper and only use the steel wool but some of the gloss will still have a little drag...YMMV

ps. Poly is not good for you to breathe in, wear a mask and don't forget to tape off your pups and fretboard, the dust will get everywhere.

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Just hit the back of the neck with steel wool until you knock the shine off it.. It's easy and takes minutes. At least try that before going way overboard and sanding the finish all off.

Jeff

5. Wake911

Wake911 Member

i've done everything from shaving down a neck, to just getting to bare wood, to just removing the poly. If all you want is the less sticky feeling, the steel wool is great way to do it. If you want to knock off a little size as well, without risk, then going down to bare wood is fine, but you will need to treat it. I use Tru-oil on mine, and so far haven't had any issues, and it feels GREAT!

The one i actually shaved down beyond just bare wood to actually removing wood is fantastic. It was silly/stupid and risky to go blind when there is a truss rod i could have exposed, but i was lucky i guess and came out with a much better playing guitar.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I wouldn't do it myself. But if you do strip the finish I believe you should apply pure tung oil to it to protect the wood. Otherwise it can dry out, crack, and warp.