Thinking about a Celestion Gold

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by QOTSA, May 5, 2008.

1. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

I'm thinking of replacing the speakers in my Vox AC30CC. I was looking mainly at some combination of a V30, Greenback, and the G12H30 (which seems to be a combo of the two). Then I thought maybe I should splurge for a Blue or Gold.

I'm looking for some feedback as to whether the Gold will really offer something special over the others. Seems like a major pain to have to buy them all and swap them out to do testing. I figured some of you guys have already done so. Thanks for any info. - Josh

2. ?&!

?&! Member

I run a Gold in a closed back 1x12, with a G12H30 in an open back 1x12 on top of it. I love the combination of those 2 speakers. Some people on TGP bag on the Gold for some reason, but I love it. I absolutely think it's worth the $$$. Good luck!!!

3. BadCompany89

BadCompany89 Member

Why not put 2 alnico blues in it?

4. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Just another thought, check out the Austin Speaker Co. stuff. Great sounding speaker.

5. joemesser

joemesser Member

You might also want to look into the Scumnico. To me it sounds like a combination of a Blue, G12H, and a little Greenback mid thing in there too. Love it!!!

6. m1911

m1911 Member

I agree...

7. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

I have one of those in a 2-12 cab with a Gold. Great combination, but for the Vox, 2 Blues sounds like the ticket.

8. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Personally, I prefer the old Celestion silver alnico with the 102 003 cone. I have one in my AC30 (in combination with reconed one that sounds sort of like a Blue) and it's the speaker I mic when we play live. Always.

You'll get many different opinions I'm sure, so in the end you'll have to try them all yourself (or at least some).

9. soulohio

soulohio Member

i like my blue.

10. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What application are you using the amp for, and what style of music? Do you play mostly clean, or distorted? Do you use effects? Do you use a fuzzface-type pedal?
    All of this will factor into the equation.

11. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

Thanks guys, although I use fuzz and overdrive a lot I like to run the amp with an edge of breakup chimey clean and then use pedals for overdrive. Both clean and gain need to be good. I've heard V30 are better for overdriven sounds. The main reason Im not just buying 2 blues is the price, I'd rather not spend $400 on speakers alone. I'll have to look into the scumnico.

12. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

2x any alnicos = $400 or close.

13. dnoseworth

dnoseworth Member

I have a Gold in an open back Dr Z cab and it sounds fantastic.

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I agree with some of the posts that 2 Blues will do fine for an AC30. Going for Gold wouldn't be necessary unless you were running more wattage and wanted the tone of the 15-watt Blue. As far as I know, its suppose to be a pretty good rendition of a higher powered Blue.