Thinking about a Duesenberg...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gtrshow, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I'm seriously considering a Starplayer TV(+) or Mike Campbell Sig. Anything else I should be looking at along the same lines and price range (or less) than the Doozy?

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I've wanted ask this several times, but haven't.

Aren't they mostly Korean made guitars with the hardware and electronics put on in Germany? If they are, am I the only one that things they are a tad pricey and not that special in any way?

I'm not trying to be a thread-pisser. I'm seriously curious what the deal is with them.

3. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

4. SebiX

SebiX Member

Thanks for posting this... no, they arenĀ“t made in korea. Actually the Duesenbergs are damn cool guitars!

5. dhdfoster

Thanks for the clarification! The interweb is full of bad info and rumors.

6. javahut

javahut Member

I'll say upfront... I've had no experience playing a Duesenberg. However, a little over a year ago, I was jonesing pretty bad for a V-caster as a possible substitute for a Tele. I really had it bad for the Surf-Green version with the hardtail. Searched all over for one. Finally found one, but while I was searching, found a used V-Caster online that showed a front picture with a hardtail, but a rear picture that had a trem route, and possibly even springs in it? I thought "What the ?". It took me little bit to realize what I was looking at. So I contacted the dealer and asked him if the fixed bridge version really has a trem cavity routed in the body. The exact quote was "The guitars all have the trem cavity. That was a conscious decision because of tone. Yes, they (Duesenberg) care that much". What? I've never heard of having a trem cavity routed in the body in order to better the tone of a guitar. I'm sorry, but IMHO, that speaks more to wanting to save money by having all the bodies routed the same so they could save time & money. That was what made my decision then & there to not get the guitar, and kinda (IMO) put Duesenberg in the category of having a little more hype than substance.

Of course I could be wrong... they could be awesome. But I just can't see paying those kind of $$$$ for something like that, when for about the same $$$$, you could get, say, a USA built Hamer with similar specs that appears to me to be a much better built, quality guitar (at the very least, they don't have the "tone trem cavity route" on non-trem guitars). That's the point at which I custom ordered my Suhr T... and then just this year finally got a Hamer Monaco III (which I had discovered & jonesed over waiting for my Suhr to be built)... both of which I absolutely love.

Of course, this is all just MHO. YMMV.

7. Swampash

Swampash Member

I've never played a Duesenberg through an amp. I've seen them at NAMM and plunked on them there - unamplified.

The last 2 years I've been to the 65 Amps party, which is also sponsored by Duesenberg. And Mike Campell and his band The Dirty Knobs have played both times. Both times Mike has played his for most of the show. I've also seen him on tour w/ Tom Petty and he has been playing it a lot then too.

Now, I am not naive enough to think that Mike is doing this out of the goodness of his heart...in fact, I'm not sure he does much of anything for that reason. That said, he is a screaming fanatic about his tone. He is as much a tone freak as anyone on this board. So, I don't think he would even bother to link-up with them if he didn't care for the instrument.

Peter Stroud also has one, and speaks very highly about it. He is another - nicer - tone freak.

What I'm getting at is, you can talk all you want about the trem cavity; but at the end of the day, it's what the guitar sounds like that makes the most difference. I'm not pretending to know what they play like; but several people who I admire, do, and like them...a lot.

8. randall g

randall g Member

I dig my Starplayer Special quite a bit. Hate to say it, but the newer models are better than my 5-year old guitar. Slimmer neck (my older neck is huge) and a nice satin finish - whereas mine has gloss.

I think I like the 49'er and the Double Cat the most.

Go to their website and give them a call - the guy you'll speak with is Nathan, and he is a heck of a nice guy and has become a good friend.

9. OOG

OOG Member

the new TV Jones is the only thing stopping me from buying a Duesenberg

10. dhdfoster

This?
    [​IMG]

11. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes the TV Jones guitars look awesome.. I must admit.

rock
    bford

12. JeffG.

JeffG. Member

I know Mark Z. over at http://www.reisterstownmusic.com carries them, not sure if he has them in stock though. You might want to contact him to get his opinion.

13. OOG

OOG Member

yep
    but in black

14. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I think the guitars are great.
    I've got a Starplayer TV.
    Everything including the fit and finish was perfect right out of the box.
    What really suprised me was that even with a Bigsby on it it stays in tune better than any other set neck guitar I've ever played.
    I had to play with the pickup height to get the right sounds for me, but now I'm very happy. Especially with the neck pickup.

15. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

If you don't like the pups... switch them out. I have never let the pups interfere with my choice of guitar because you can easily switch them out.

16. skintknuckle

skintknuckle Supporting Member

I have one. Incredible craftsmanship, playability and tone. The trem is a bunch easier to string than a bigsby also!

17. T2tele

T2tele Member

I have a black Starplayer TV, I absolutely dig everything about this guitar, definitely one of the "funest" guitars I own, with a very useable trem! After seeing the very talented Jedd Hughes (playing a Starplayer TV) perform with Rodney Crowell, I found a dealer, played and eventually bought one.

My Duesenberg fits the bill of that "different" guitar.. kind of reminds me of a mix of a Les Paul jr, Dano, Gretsch, Ricky.. with all the best of those guitars combined, It's just funky, cool and sounds killer with any amp!

Everybody who plays mine digs it, you just can't help liking a Duesy!!!

T2