Thinking about a Egnater Rebel 20...reliability question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by masque, Aug 24, 2009.

1. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

The Rebel 20 has double-side circuit boards with plated-through holes. The solder joints in plated-through holes are probably 5-10 times stronger than a single-sided solder joint. Amps such as the Fender Hot Rod series and Peavey's Classic 30 both use single sided boards because they are lower in cost. The Rebel is constructed far better than Fender and Peavey's regular production amps.

Here's an explaination of the difference:

Single-Sided Circuit Board
    A single-sided board has copper pads and traces only on the face of the board. The leaded components are inserted through holes from the backside and a solder fillet is added which must bridge the gap. The problem is, solder does not make for a stong mechanical joint (especially the no-lead solder in use today), and the hole has clearance around the lead and offers no support. Components that are particularly susceptable to broken solder joints are those that get stressed by normal use (pots, switches, and jacks). The solder joints of high-mass internal components such as electrolytic caps and tube sockets are fragile and can break when the amp is jolted.

[​IMG]

Double-Side Circuit Board
    A double-sided PCB has copper pads and traces on both sides of the board, plus copper on the inside surface of each hole. Solder fills the hole completely encapsulating the lead, making for a much stonger solder joint.

[​IMG]

I've been gigging with my Rebel 20 for about 6 months now without problems, and I feel confident I could run it for another 6 years without any problems. That ain't gonna happen though, because its soon to be replaced by a Renegade 65 :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

You guys excite me when you post pics like that.