Thinking about a new amp...something different...what else should I look at?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daacrusher2001, Sep 3, 2019.

1. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Current Amps: Allen Accomplice, Quilter MP2 HD

Thinking about getting something, IDK, different. Needs to be small enough to take with me to some smaller gigs. Mostly blues/classic rock player.

The Allen is great, will never get rid of it.

The Quilter is pretty good and super light - I don't love it, but it's ok. I used it this past weekend for a gig and it's plenty loud, and with a few pedals it gives me what I need for gigs. I'm thinking of getting a HX Stomp and using the Quilter to amplify it. That might satisfy me for awhile...

Still...I want something different. Here are things I'm considering:
    • Victoria 518/5112 - but I've had two champ-ish amps (Gries 5 and Swart Atomic Jr) and didn't really love them. They were fun, but limited, and hard to gig with unless mic'd. Also, the Accomplice has the Raw control and I can get some tweed-ish tones from it. Soooo...thinking it might not be different enough.
    • Friedman Runt 20 - tried one out a couple of times. Pretty cool amp. Certainly sounds a lot different than the Accomplice.
    • Carr Skylark - played one once and can't get the sound out of my head.
    • Divided by 13 CJ11 - nowhere to test one out...any thoughts?
    Other than these...I was thinking of a Headstrong Lil King - or even a Princeton Reverb 65 RI, but really, for the most part, I get those tones on the accomplice.

I'm leaning towards the Vicky or the Friedman.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything obvious?

Merrywoodsman likes this.
  2. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie. It will compliment the Accomplice nicely and will add a Marshall-like tone to your rig.

JK1965 and daacrusher2001 like this.
  3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

These are difficult decisions given the sheer multitude of amps available these days. I’ve had a long-time itch for a 518 or 5112, but like you mentioned it’d be quite limited, compared to the Friedman. Does the Friedman have the Metro FX loop? I had the Runt 50 and it was a nice amp. That’s probably the route I’d take, or maybe the Carr though I haven’t played the Skylark.

4. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

Get a Fender 57 Custom Deluxe and you will be happy for the rest of your gigging life.

5. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Redplate has some nice amps that might interest you.

If you get the HX Stomp first, there might me some models in there that will stimulate your gas.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    daacrusher2001 and saltydogg like this.
  6. Merrywoodsman

Merrywoodsman Member

Big Matchless fan here. They are different. The new Laurel Canyon model might scratch that itch.

Jray likes this.
  7. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I realize that this is TGP but I would stay with the Accomplice unless you want a completely different voice (e.g. Vox or Marshall). Dr.Z has a couple of amps to look at - EMS and MAZ. EMS does three essential Marshall voices, MAZ will do pretty good approximations of Marshall, Vox, and Fender, but while none of these are quite "there" they are all pretty good from a single amp without any digital processing or channel switching.

I have a MAZ 18 and an Allen Sweet Spot in addition to a '69 Super Reverb. OK - nothing beats the Super Reverb for big Fender Sound, but the other two are very good amps.

Forget this if you're into Metal or Big Hair. My music tastes live in the 60's and early 70's.

OTOH, you can hardly go wrong with Matchless if you can afford one.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  8. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

@daacrusher2001

Your choices are all over the place -- you gotta play more amps and narrow it down.
    The only thing that jumped out at me from your post was that you couldn't forget the Skylark.
    But that should sound pretty similar to your Accomplice.

Since you're in northern NJ, you could visit Louis Electric and play a couple of his amps.

Gemini2 and gulliver like this.
  9. daacrusher2001

There really are a ton of options - just looking for some new (to me) ideas. The Down Brownie is one I haven't seen before (thanks @Ipressthebutton)

I really liked the Runt 20 - had a chance to try one out a couple of times at a GC in San Antonio (while on business trips). Definitely on my short list. Not sure about the Metro FX loop - they just call it an "ultratransparent FX Loop" in the amp specs.

10. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

Did you mention Classic Rock? Any of the Orange Terror heads currently available with a decent 112 cab like the EVH 5150 III 112 which comes with the Celestion 70th Anniversary or a cab that has the Vintage 30 in it. Pure vintage tone and perfect to use from home practice to band rehearsals to gigging.

stephen78 likes this.
  11. mbosco

mbosco Member

I have the Runt 20 and really like it. Very versatile and takes me from classic rock to hard rock and is really fun to play. If you are able to check out the Dirty Shirley it might work better for you depending on what you are after. Not as much flexibility, but depending on how you are using it, it could be a better match.

12. daacrusher2001

The DS seems more aligned to high gain, from what I can tell. The Runt clean channel was pretty good IIRC. I need that clean to OD sound...

Demos I've seen sound great. It'd be more usable to me than a champ-style amp

13. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

The reasons I love the 57 Custom Deluxe is that it's light weight (27 lbs.), actually quite loud for 14 watts, so simple to get a good sound out of, my rig looks like this:

Eric Clapton Strat > Fulltone Wah > Strymon Riverside > Strymon Flint > Amp

(I use the boost function on the Riverdside for solos & only use the distortion side for something really heavy which is rare)

I mic the amp with a Sennhiser e609.

This rig is so simple that I can carry in and set up in one load in 5 min., that's why I called it a dream amp for those who gig.

Good luck on your search!

abby_normal likes this.
  14. daacrusher2001

Simple is good...I'd use it similarly. I don't use a ton of pedals - I'm pretty basic.

15. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

The Runt 20 is a good consideration. I have a Mach 2 as well (posted in your thread) and a Mesa TC-50. I've been thinking of picking up a smaller 20-35W head as well.

16. daacrusher2001

The Mach 2 is pretty good, but so far it doesn't have the feel/tone of my tube amp. I find I like the clean with my pedals, but not the OD or Fuzz built into the amp.

Since you mentioned Mesa - I was thinking at looking at some of the new Mesa amps. The Fillmore 25 looks pretty cool.

17. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

If you are looking at the Friedman I'd look at the Dirty Shirley mini rather than the Runt but I'm a point to point turret board fan. Plus I think the DS tones are less stiff and more "classic rock." Great spongy crunch and set up on the lowest gain a very nice edge of breakup. It's dead simple to set up. Plug n play goodness. Great loop. Great master.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    davidespinosa likes this.
  18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I managed to get the Mach 2 feeling pretty good using the limiter combined with the right OD pedal. Not fully tube like, but I enjoy playing through it after that.

Yeah, Mesa has some great stuff and IMO the price is right compared to a lot of boutique makes. The Fillmore is a great 'vintage style' head if you want something simple and to the point. I got the TC-50 used for cheap too, like $1200 and came with a transferable warranty.. great amp head:

Even though its 50W, its got really good volume controls and can sound good really even in a bedroom. I'd also highly suggest checking out the little Mark heads.. that is very much what I am considering at some point.

Calvin Sattler likes this.
  19. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Reeves Custom HG10 or Reeves Custom 12PS

20. daacrusher2001

That TC does sound pretty damn good in that video. The only Mesa I ever had was the Rectoverb 25. I didn't like it much. I tried the Lonestar Special, and if it wasn't 75lbs, I'd have gotten one. Just too heavy to lug around and some places we play I need a smaller cab/combo.

I think I'll explore the Mesa amps a bit further. I did use one once, a Mark V I think, at an open jam, and it was a rockin' good amp.

RE:Quilter - Same here, I've got the clean down to where I like it and just drive it with my OCD or Blue Note. Sounds pretty good and gets the job done.