Thinking about a new wah: Xotic XW-1, Wilson 12-position Rippah, Teese RMC10?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jfwund, Feb 17, 2015.

1. jfwund

jfwund Member

Pretty much what the title says. I used to have a Wilson Tunable Colorful Clone, and that was nice, but I don't have it anymore and I'm thinking I'd like a new wah. I like a throaty wah that sounds full yet clear. I have a Morley Maverick wah that's OK, not bad, but is a little uncomfortable for me to play.

I know Wilson builds some nice stuff, but that Xotic really does look and sound awfully nice. I like the idea of being able to try and dial in the wah sound in my head, so that's why I'm looking at these two. The Youtube demos I've heard of the RMC 10 sound incredible, almost too good to be true. It's not as adjustable as the Xotic or the Wilson, but that also means no tweaking.

If you have experience with any (or all!) of these wahs, I'd love to hear what you have to say... :beer

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. jfwund

jfwund Member

Bumping this up for the morning... :)

3. jfwund

jfwund Member

Alright, one last bump for the evening crowd...

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

the Teese does not need to be adjustable as it is really great as it is.

5. bobogypsy

bobogypsy Supporting Member

Max,

I did an Area 51 to a crybaby chasis and it's the best wah I've had in a while. I tried the teese and the wilson but prefer the Area 51. You can change the guts in a cheap cry baby or by the wah complete.

6. GUITVOX

GUITVOX Member

Just got the RMC-10 after using Area 51 for a few years. Very similar character Vox-type, both excellent wahs.
    I would keep playing You-Tube reviews over and over until you can identify which model does what sound before making your decision.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

I would buy the xotic and teese from prymaxe and return whichever you don't like.

It's the only way you'll really know.

Not sure if Wilson has dealers with return policies.

8. jfwund

jfwund Member

Thanks guys. The more samples I'm listening to, the more I'm liking the sound of the RMC10. I don't know how to describe it; the youtube videos make it seem like it has that (chewy, thick yet clear) sound that is just what a wah is 'supposed' to sound like. We'll see.

9. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

Can't go wrong with RMC, simply fantastic products.

10. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

11. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

hi jfwund ... i am in *exactly* the same boat ... i currently have a fulltone clyde delux, and i like it, but i don't love it ... haven't really dived into this yet since i've been fixating on other pedal questions (lol), and because the fulltone is perfectly good

but yeah, lately i've got the itch to really dig into this, and the xotic, the RMC10, and the Wilson 12-position are the 3 that i've got it narrowed down to

seems like all 3 are very highly regarded on TGP and all 3 have great youtube demo's, so hard to choose ... so definitely update this thread if you end up trying these and tell us what you think!

12. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

I mean, I'd go for a ZVex Wah Probe myself, but among the ones you suggested, I'd go with the Xotic. It seems like the most adjustable option.

13. ufo~

ufo~ Member

It really is.

14. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

yeah out of those i'd probably get the rmc10. after having owned a lot of wahs, most of them being ridiculously tweakable, i found that all those knobs and dials and dip-switches are a pain in the bum.

i have a morley maverick now, and super happy with it. :)

15. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Ive only rocked Wilsoh wahs. I had a Colorful clone too and then went to the 12 position rippah q boost. Love it. You got a ton of options and it can pretty much cover the throatiness your looking for

16. GUITVOX

GUITVOX Member

Every multi-toned wah I ever owned or tried including roger mayer's all singing dancing made me constantly tweaking and left me unsatisfied

17. davetcan

davetcan Supporting Member

RMC10 is awesome just as it is. I do wish it came with an LED though.

18. ejanuska

ejanuska Member

Have you looked into the Black Cat Mona Wah Deluxe?

19. jfwund

jfwund Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered the RMC10. I love what I'm hearing on the Youtube demos, so we'll see. I do wish it had a LED, but if it sounds as good as advertised, I can deal with no LED...