1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about a Wizard but in an open back?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BBQLS1, Sep 20, 2006.

1. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I thought the Wizards used to be open/closed back speakers, but the eminence site says "closed back"

Anythoughts?

Those with wizards how do you like them? What about Govs?

2. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

I tried a Wizard in an open back and hated it. I didn't know it was expecting to see a closed back. Meanwhile I love my Govenor in an open back.

YMMV,
    Jim

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

What were they like?

4. Boogs

Boogs Member

I used to use a Wizard in a 1x12 open-back combo, 1x12 open-back cab, and used 2 in a 2x12 open-back cab - sounded great each time.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have a Wizard in an Avatar 1x12 Cube open back and it sounds absolutely great. KEep in mind I like lots of different speakers so I won't say this is my favorite or anything but it loses NOTHING at all in the Avatar 1x12 open back.. It's my Tremoverb's favorite speaker and I've played lots of different amps thru it. I would very much disagree that they only should be used in close back cabs.. I've also used one with my Brown Deluxe in an open back cab and it sounds fine in there too .

Eric

6. Ironman

Ironman Member

Open/closed it sounds great if you dig a G12H30 tone. It's my favorite speaker at the moment.

7. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

Bright, loud, plenty of chunk, in the right cab it can make huge bottom end even in an open-back cabinet. Really a great sounding speaker and works great in an open-back. Go to the revelationamps.com site and listen to the 72 clips, that's a Wizard in an open-back cab.

8. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

I am asking the same question to myself about an AC30. Any additional opinions?

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I cant see why it would only bee good closed back. Seems like there was a Thread about this a while back. Dont remeber the outcome.

They may not be rated 75 watts in an open back and this could be the reason for the statement. They may think from a marketing standpoint that its better to say they are rated at 75 watts and then say they are recomended for a closed back.

A Vintage 30 is rated for 65 watts in an open back and 75 in a closed (or something like that) so the Wizard appeares like it is a beefier speaker though its way beefier than a G12H30.

IMO these are way better speakers than any G12H30. They dont have that ear piercing rasp that new G12H30's have untill broken in and by being much heavier duty speakers they will take much much longer to break in but still have way more sparkle than a broken in G12H30.

10. RevelationAmps

RevelationAmps Member

I use them in my open-back combos (albeit with a rather large back panel). They sound fab! Kind of bright, really full, solid tone. I like them quite a bit.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

it's great in the right amp...I have one in a Bad Cat Cub and love it...didn't like it as much in my Fargen...both open back!

Governor sounded great in my Fargen didn't like it in the cub...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I tried a Wizard in a Peavey C30 and it sounded great. I also use it with my Guytron CB cab and it sounds great, I think either way will work. Eminence also say's the Texas Heat is for OB or CB, cabinets, to my ears it sounds way better in a OB cabinet, so who is really correct? If it doesn't work take it back out, either way it's a real nice speaker.

13. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I had one in an open back combo also and loved the tone.