Thinking about buying a custom shop Les Paul and need advice...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbow, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jbow

jbow Member

I have been looking at the Historic series LPs for a while and want to buy one. The one that got my attention is actually not technically a Historic but is kind of a Historic hybrid. It is the GC 60. It is a GC exclusive and is basically a R8 body and a R0 neck. I would like opinions and thoughts.

The plus side to the GC60 is the neck is to me a little more playable than the R8, which is the other guitar I am considering.

(I guess I should have said that right away. I am considering the R8, the GC60, and possibly either the R0 or R9 but they cost considerably more.)

I prefer the plaintop in either honeyburst or Iced Tea and the GC60 is a honeyburst plaintop. The R8 is also a plaintop. Both models have the long neck tenon, Burstbuckers, and CTS pots and bumblebee caps. The R8 is VOS and the GC60 has an aged finish that is similar to the VOS but I cannot remember what they call it. The biggest differences are the neck, one is "Historic" and the other is not, and the price for the GC60 is about 150.00 more.

I have talked to my person at GC and can buy the GC60 for 2400.00+tax and I have an online dealer who has quoted me 2349.00 shipped for any R8, they usually have about 20 in stock. So, since I have to pay tax to get the GC60, the price is 2592.00 OTD. Considerably more but not that much really.

I will end up getting the guitar that I like best but as long as I am trying to decide, I would like all the input I can get so if anyone has any thoughts or comments... it may help me decide which one I like best, I am listening.

Thanks,

Julien

2. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I hear (LP Forum) that the GC editions are excellent, but it should be a straight forward decision as the GC and the R8 have vastly different neck profiles. The GC is slim, and the R8 is fat. I have a few Historics, one with a slim neck. I tend to like the fat ones, but can get along with the other as I really like that particular guitar. But again, big difference. AC

3. WordMan

WordMan Member

The official criteria:

- does it make you want to play it?
    - is the neck comfortable - really really comfortable?
    - does it sound good to you unplugged?

Screw the model type. Screw the specifics - you know your basic preferences - now ask yourself what REALLY matters to you.

One of the biggest misconceptions I come across is "I can get used to the neck." Not compromising on the neck provides a big payoff...

4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I bought and sold 5 R8's from GC.....1749.50 with cases and COA's. Dig @ em...... :BEER

5. GuffMorgan

GuffMorgan Supporting Member

That is all good and well, but he's not trying to buy an R8 from GC, he's looking at the GC R0 that is only offered at, well, GC. So they really have no competitors prices they have to match/beat.

6. JimmyApollo

JimmyApollo Member

But he is considering a regular R8 :)

7. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The new R8's are Pleked and will out play the GC60.
    The price of 2350 that you got won't last long. I know what dealer you are talking about. The prices on the R8's went up July 1st. The $2350 is the price before the increase. Once they're out of the older ones you looking more like $2600-$2700.

The Gibson Pleked guitars are out of this world good.

8. jbow

jbow Member

Good info... thanks. I am going today to find and play around with an R8. The GC here has not had one, or any other CS LP besides the GC60, for quite a while. The only bigger necks I have played are the Standard 50s and my 1991 Studio which I have no problem with.

Thanks for all the help guys...

FWIW... can't you get a guitar plecked for about 150.00?

J

9. clint

clint Member

Yes, might be worth finding a nice sounding GCR0 and getting a setup/plek job/electronics overhaul. The last guitar I bought was a VOS that I picked up and couldn't put down because it felt and sounded so amazing that I started coming up with new licks I hadn't played before. Whatever you do, make sure it's one that "speaks" to you.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the neck I liked best, which sounds like an R0 in your case. But I would play as many of both as is reasonable--I know I've done right turns on what I thought was important to me about such things, when I actually got a particular guitar in my hands. I think you're gonna wind up with a fine guitar either way, get the one you want to play. Having it come with a PLEK job would be really nice, but you can get that done if you really want it.