Thinking about buying a FOXROX ZIM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ROTHNROLL, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I currently have a crunchbox, OCD V4 (love), Box of Rock (love) and Timmy (mostly love).
    I want to add the versatility of the ZIM and boot 1 or more of the above off the board.
    I play 70's Rock- Zep - AC/DC - Surf Music- Black Crowes - Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    I am hopefully going to order 1 through Dave Fox with different than the stock cards.

Which cards would you recommend for the A and B sides?
    b - H9 and A - t9

Should I look somewhere else for the music I play?

2. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

Anyone here have a ZIM?

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have one with a pair of H9 cards. I've often thought about getting a different card to try out, just not sure which one I'd use. I don't need a clean boost, I wasn't impressed with the fuzz in the CC2 and I've heard the Tar+ isn't great. So I may just stay with the two H9s. The EQ on the second channel means that you can completely change the color of that side anyway (I usually boost the bass to put back what you lose with the TS9 style gain). Its a killer pedal, although it's not on my board all the time (more likely to be the one pedal I grab for a single pedal gig-definitely far beyond any of the other two button drives I've got like the Barber, FDII etc).

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have one, and really like it. I have the stock cards. I tried sorting out if I wanted to buy some other cards for it, sent a question into Dave, got not reply. It was weird because I was thinking of just buying a bunch, to have and try out...just keep, but wanted to do it in ONE order. I just let it slip after that.

Here's the thing I think about ZIM though...

1) The most critical one is the one in the A channel, since that one doesn't have so much tone shaping possible. The stock A channel, sounds like a nice OD. Not spectacular, but good. If I were only to pick one for it, I think I might go for a fuzz, or something with more character.

2) Try emailing or calling Dave. Maybe I caught him on a bad day, wrote too long a question or something. Narrow down what you think you want it to sound like (which pedals, what style) and ask what he suggests.

3) I would love to hear if anyone else experiences this, but...the ZIM B channel is fantastic about shaping sounds. Instant "Led Zep" was and is my main thought on the way it sounds. All those cool sounds are in there at least with the stock card. Also when trolling around, it is so quick to get a cool sound, dial the cut/boost at 10:00 or 1:00, switch the mode switch a random amount, play...like it? Keep it, not...move from cut to boost or vice versa...tweak from there.
    But here's the weird thing. When I play it "fresh" it is chock full of amazing sounds, but when I play for a while I get a weird ear fatigue that makes all sounds other than mode=1, sound under a blanket or muffled, or screechy. I mean after a few hours playing.

Anyone else experience that?

5. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

The ZIM is a killer pedal

6. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

I bought one used from a fellow TGP member. It came with B9 (Tubescreamer-style card), H9 (hotter version of B9) and BM (Big Muff-style) cards.

The BM card in Position B gives instant Page/Iommi style tones. Not really my thing as I consider myself a jazz player but plenty of classic rock sounds are there. Running the B9 into the BM put me into Sonny Sharrock territory (much more my thing!).

The H9 is a little too high-gain for me but I've been experimenting with running the B9 in position A and the H9 in B.

I am very interested in trying some of the other cards, particularly the VT, CS and TAR. There's a YouTube video with Dave Fox demonstrating the ZIM with only a VT card at position B and it sounds great.

The ZIM is a tweaker's dream - the voicing knob, tone trimmers on the cards etc.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Good design, well made. Had one w/ the H9, B9 and CS. CS was awesome for soft dist/ boost. The others were way too tubescreamer-y for me to bond w/. Your OCD won't be replaced there.

8. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I have a feeling of I get the ZIM, the Timmy might go.
    Anyone else?

9. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

10. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

I just got notified that I am in the next group of 10 for the aquavibe.. so i am hoping to order both of these at the same time!

11. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

darn! When did you order yours? I placed my order in May and haven't heard anything as of yet. Dave's shop is only about 10 minutes or so from my house...maybe I should poke my head in one day and say hello

12. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

11 Feb 2008
    heh..

So 3 months before you..

13. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I've got a Foxrox ZIM with the VT, CS, BB, T+, H9, FF, and BM ZIMcards.

Along with my Analogman Sunlion, the Foxrox ZIM is my favorite "dirt" pedal.

I'd likely try the H9 and/or BM in "B" for your application, with VT or CS in "A" for boosts for lead, or if you do not need a lead boost, mix a H9 and BM in "A" and "B."

That said, do not let go of any current pedal until you have tried them all side by side, if you can.

cheers,
    Ian

14. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

the ZIM is a very well-made pedal, but rather idiosyncratic. the eq is what killed it for me. at first, I was captivated by the novelty of the fixed phaser thing, but ultimately I felt it was more like an additional effect, and less like an eq. and that was the reason I eventually sold it. there is no eq on the A channel, and the "voice" eq on the B channel was radical, but not as useful as a simple tone knob.

I think this has been pointed out before, but I think Dave has literally got three pedals in one, and should create a separate pedal out of the "voice" idea--maybe with 2 footswitchable voice options--and keep the ZIM a dual modular pedal with more traditional tone controls.

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

I love the ZIM so much I use two.

[​IMG]

ZIM #1 has BB (A) and CS (B), ZIM #2 has VT (A) and H9 (B). I also have a BM card that I pull out for kicks. I have also tried the FF and Tar + cards. I want to get another Tar + card. It sounded great but in the "chase" I sold it to buy some other cards.

My set up gives me three distinct OD flavors with a clean boost on the front end that also serves as a gain boost for the other three channels. No matter which channel I am using, I can click on the BB channel and kick things up a notch without changing the character of the OD. Love it. I also have a Fatboost on my board that gets ignored a lot because of how good the BB sounds.

One strum through the ZIM when I first got one I knew that it was the OD for me. There is something great and different about the character of the sound, the build quality of the pedal is off the charts, and the concept of its design really appealed to me. Since then I have aquired an Octron, a Hot Silicon (wasn't really my thing, I think fuzz just really ins't my thing though, nothing against the pedal) and I am on the waiting list for the AquaVibe.

Since switching over to the ZIMs for my OD sounds, I haven't even had the desire to try other pedals. I did borrow a friends OCD V4 a for a while (I have owned several in my lifetime) and I really thought I would miss it and want to pick another one up. The OCD in comparison to the ZIM sounded harsh and shrill. I simply couldn't bring myself to use it.

I promise you that you will not be disappointed with the build quality of the ZIM. The sound might not be your thing, but you certainly won't be spending money on something that you won't be able to get back out of it if it doesn't work out. Dave makes some seriously good pedals.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If you see my post above, the 3rd point/question, I am really curious if that is kinda what you mean.

It seems like when my ears are fresh, I LOVE the tweaks, even radical ones, but after some time, they start sounding duller, muffled, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is similar to what happens when one uses an exciter (especiall in mixing, etc.) where judicial use of it on a song or two can make the song "sizzle" but if you had a whole CD using it, after short time the listener gets ear fatigue because of the particular boosted frequencies.

Anyway, it is a little hard to explain, but when I start using it (and move the mode knob up a few notches, and play with boost/cut) I DO get all those Led Zep sounds, it makes me smile, but again, after some time (I lose track of time when playing) it gets more and more muffled to my ears.

I have only used it a few times with a band and even then didn't turn it on so often, so this may also happen more when playing alone, which doesn't mean much.

My one experiment, I A/B'ed it with my beloved Zendrive, and got it to my ear VERY close to how I set the zen. I used it next day in practice with my band, and there the difference showed itself because with THAT particular setting, the ZIM didn't get the wonderful cut through the mix that the ZD does. I A/B'ed them first before we started playing to verify they sounded pretty much alike, but going back and forth while playing the ZD just cut so much more and nicer.

I still won't be selling the ZIM. I love the thing til my ears get tired. I will definitely be using it in recordings. Also just nice to have, I don't regret for a second buying it, but I think also the phase "EQ" has a lot of cool possibilities, but a "normal" EQ knob added would be a huge plus because you could then set it how you want, and just add slight phase...