Thinking about buying a Rat. Some questions for you.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wyatt Martin, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I've been considering buying a Rat 2 as I've heard they can do a good overdrive sound also. I'm looking at the new ones that go for $70.

My questions:
    1. I've read a lot about the LM 308 chip. How much better is that? Or is it myth to some degree.
    2. When the drive is all the way down is there still a certain amount of gain that can't be dialed out to zero? If so, is it more distorted than an amp on the edge of breakup?

I'll admit I'm pretty unadventurous in chasing down vintage models and while I don't consider myself a material person and play some knock off equipment but when I want a Fender I want it to say Fender. So when I want a Rat I probably won't be satisfied if it doesn't say Rat. Weird, I know.

Just curious about the new models.

Abram4235 likes this.
  2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

There is enough variance with other components that the difference felt in the LM308n opamp could easily be explained away.

With that said, I suggest getting an older USA made Rat- anything under $100. They just have more character than the recent/current ones.
    I also suggest sticking to a regular Rat as your first venture rather than any of the boutique or budget clones. Just my own opinion.

JParry335, Daytona57 and Wyatt Martin like this.
  3. bshields

bshields Member

Honestly, a Mooer Black Secret is an excellent. $45 used Rat. Start there

William Beaver likes this.
  4. fishlog

fishlog Supporting Member

I just got a Rat... My first ever. I had a turbo Rat years ago.

The new Rat didn't sound anything like what I remember the Turbo Rat sounding like which was weird because I found them to all sound the same on YouTube and it seemed a general consensus was they are all close enough .

Well yesterday I happened to come across a used Turbo Rat and bought it .I wanted to see how bad my memory was .

These two pedals are very different. The current Rate is thin, noisy and has lots of spiky bright and unpleasant top end to it .
    The Turbo Rat is much more open, no unwanted top end shrill and isn't as noisy. It's also more aggressive.

I'm sticking with Turbo Rat. Played it with a band last night and it cuts through incredibly as well.

NortheastHick likes this.
  5. 6789

6789 Member

Yes. You are correct. The distortion doesn’t dial out. It dials to less distortion and then the sound cuts off without ever becoming clean.

You can dial the distortion knob down- and then also dial your guitar volume down to get a hollow, nasal, thin, distorted sound.

At least that was my experience when I tried one yesterday.

Wyatt Martin likes this.
  6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

My current RAT (a clone - EHX Flatiron Fuzz) doesn't have an LM308 and it sounds quite nice. I also have an East River Audio Touch Distortion that does have a LM308. And, I have a Mooer Black Secret that also has the LM308. They all sound good in their own little way so I wouldn't wring your hands over the LM308.

Getting an older, USA-made RAT is good advice. Or, there are plenty of builders like Alchemy Audio and Kinnatone that will sell you a brand new RAT2 that is modded by them to get some additional sounds. It's really nice to have the RAT and Turbo RAT sounds in one box.

7. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Thank you very much for that! That was my biggest concern. I have a Boss DS 1 that doesn't clean up with the gain all the way down either and while I kind of like that pedal there is a certain amount of gain I can't dial out of it.

8. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Chip is over rated. A touch smoother but the stock ones don't sound bad.

Rats can do clean boost to fuzz if you play with the dials.

Also, I don't know why anyone would buy a clone. Pro Co got it right. Stock is great, and the White Face Reissue and Fat Rat are perfection.

valvestate likes this.
  9. Briman1974

Briman1974 Member

We offer a whole line of Rats and modded rats. If you just want a stock one we are a proco dealer and will do the same deal everyone else does on them. We even offer the Standard Rat 2 with boss power jack and LM308n as a stand alone mod. If you'd like one with the new chip they are 99.99 or our 3x3 Mischief modded rats are the most popular they go for 139.99 but there is a sale on the website right now. https://www.kinnatone.com/ratmods