Thinking about doing this to my 61RI (P90's)

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Saw a guy on the MLP forums post his, I currently have two nice SG's - a '78, and a 61RI I got for only $900, so I figured why not. Already have the pickguard on the way. I have a set of Wolfetone Mean/Meaner P90's in my parts drawer, but honestly I think I'm going to mix a Gibson P90 bridge (beefier) with a GFS P90 neck (strattier) on this one.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/276618-tricked-out-my-61-re-issue-sg.html

dazco

Good god thats awesome ! Not sure i could pass that up myself even tho i don't need it with my P90 LP special.
But where were you when i posted a question about what cheap P90 would get more stratty tones for the neck of my LP special ?! Which GFS model are you talking about, and do they really clear up the lows strings so you can hear the windings like a fender? No one mentioned it in the thread i started.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I've used the GFS vintage A5 P90 set on a couple guitars. Both of them had thinner, snappier strat-like qualities in the neck and I prefer over the usually beefier, wooly sounding P90's. For the same reason I did not care for the bridge pickup. IMO of the various boutique and production bridge P90's I've tried, the Gibson model is quite beefy and aggressive, which is what I want in a bridge model.

Here's the link, they are cheap too.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Alnico-Vintage-Soapbar-Black-Pickup-Neck-Position_p_331.html

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
Will the larger pickguard fit the '61 RI? I mean, obviously you'll have to drill some additional holes for the screws... but everything lines up okay?

I've often considered doing that to mine.

mschafft

I wouldn't because I prefer investing in a new guitar than having to modify the routing on mine. But none of the modifications will be visible, and everything is reversible. So why not. The result is great and P90s are awesome. Make sure you get a reverse-wound set for hum-cancelling middle position.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Its not reversible, it will need to be routed to make room for the P90's, but it will all be under the pickguard.

My buddy is my guitar repair guy and he has routed for me in the past, he has temptlates and pro equipment and makes clean professional routes.

This is not an investment, its a $900 used production guitar. I mod guitars all day long.

ke3ee

Look for a SG classic.. same guitar as you who without Trap inlays... you can pick them up cheap.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned several SG classics, they, along with the SG Standard P90 from 2012 all have fat necks, I prefer the thin 60's slim taper on the 61RI.

Trending Topics