Thinking about flying with a Princeton Reverb as carry on--thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dnauhei, Mar 2, 2015.

1. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

The idea is that I would put it the overhead. I have a pretty nice cover for it, but it would not be in a case. I am pretty sure it meets the carry on measurement guidelines. I would have to change planes at least once.

Am I crazy? :eeks

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

You could take the amp and add a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 and you could play anything you wanted. The measurement for the airline is 21"x14"x9", if it fits in that size then you can take it and put it in a overhead bin. I've thought of taking my Bad Cat Mini Cat or my 84' Super Champ with me on a plane but then where would I put my guitar?

3. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Keep in mind that now days many of the carriers are running commuter jets and the overheads are very small. If you end up on an Embraer or a JRC you will probably have to plane side check it which means it goes in with the other luggage. Not something I'd wish on any tube amp.

4. sled

sled Member

Will they the tubes on board? Not sure. Glass. My bet is, at a minimum, you'll be questioned at the Security Screen.

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

What happens if they insist that you gate-check it because of a crowded plane?

6. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

It meets the requirements I flew with mine to Alabama from Texas no problems at all. take a heavy blanket in your carry on bag wrap the amp up so there is no damage to the tubes its tougher than you think and it fits in the overhead. your only questioned if the glass has liquid in it. your aloud 2 carry on items trust me I am a diamond delta member.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Pull the tubes and get a padded zipper case that says peavey.

8. bogdan101

bogdan101 Member

I would think it's too heavy to be allowed as carry on.

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the above, if any of your planes are small, you'll have to gate check it! I'd find the smallest semi-rigid suitcase it'd fit inside and pack it in there with bubblewrap or foam, after pulling the tubes and packing them in bubblewrap. It might cost you a bit more, but less than repairing a broken amp!

10. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

That's a good thought.

It will be a transcontinental flight, so there is no concern for getting stuck on a puddle jumper. Still, on occasion with a really full flight they do make the people in the back of the line check their carryons so that is a risk. I'll have to see if it fits in a regulation size roller bag. Need to check weight requirements too.

11. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

So not worth it, is my experience. I'd exhaust all avenues for borrowing or renting an amp at the other end first. I've been on several flights that I'm sure a Princeton wouldn't fit. Traveling with a guitar is bad enough, I have flight cases for those.

12. zenas

zenas Member

I'd be worried about the secerity people myself. Pre 9-11 I had to explain my steel toed boots to one at them at the Minneapolis airport.
    You run into her and who knows what she'll think of vacuum tubes. :)

13. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

I took my Mesa MK 1 RI on a plane a few years ago. Other than having to carry a heavy little amp through the airport, it worked out. I had just got the amp and decided to take it on the plane with me instead of shipping. Lesson learnt was ship the amp next time, the weight and hauling it on the plane and off the plane was just too much.

14. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Space in an overhead is not guaranteed, except in first class. It might be wise to have a backup plan in case the bins are full,

15. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

A Princeton Reverb does not meet the carry-on dimensions, so it's very likely to be checked.