Thinking about getting a 60's strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fusionid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

Really eyeing the hot rod 62. The thing I dont like is obviously the price. I am also thinking about the Classic player 60's. That seems like a more viable option. The thing about a lot of MIM guitars, I cant find one in a local shop that is set up properly. Thoughts anyone?:cool:

2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

How about a used CIJ/MIJ one? At one point the "'60's Stratocaster" was made in Japan... technically "Crafted in Japan", and they were pretty nice.

3. fusionid

hmm, whats the price point and are the finished in nitro?

4. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I've always thought the MIJ strats played beautifully. As far as I can tell they were just as good as American ones, but at a fraction of the price. Replace the pups and you got something that's golden.

5. jpage

jpage Member

But they don't sell them here so unless you stumble across a used one locally you are stuck buying a guitar you can't play first and can't (easily anyway) return. Sticky with a strat--very different instruments from one to the next.

6. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Look for a MIM Vintage Player Stratocaster (they come in both 50s and 60s models). It, the Robert Cray model, and the Jimmie Vaughan model are the most incredible bang-for-buck Fender Strats you'll ever run across. The Vintage Player Strat, to paraphrase Lou Diamond Phillips' portrayal Richie Valens, "is a bit of a rattle snake". They were a special issue that Fender only made for a few years, and you only have to play one for a minute or two to understand why. Having an instrument like that on the market makes it tough to sell American Vintage Reissue '62 Strats at over a grand. IMO, where the Cray and JVaughan are "good values", the Vintage Player Strat is just plain "a damned good Strat". They came with a decent-sized, semi-chunky neck, medium-jumbo frets, steel-block trem, and Texas Special pickups. Do a volume-bleed mod and lower the Texas Specials a bit in the pickguard and you have a gig-worthy flame-thrower. I ended up swapping the Texas Specials outta mine for Joe Bardens, but even with the Texas Specials, it is one bitchin' guitar....

jb

7. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

Okay, I checked my facts and the CIJ model I had was actually called a "62 re-issue". I know that Fender had "'50s Strats" and "60's Strats" at the time.

There's a '62 CIJ on eBay right now... it's about $400 with 4 hours left. I'm sure the finishes are poly, because I don;t remember ever seeing anything to the contrary.

8. fusionid

man I just came back from GC and tried that classic players 60's. It did not do anything for me. I mean NADA.
    This might be partly due to the fact that Im in love with my EJ strat. I also think it was poorly setup...