Thinking about getting a Bogner Ecstacy (need advice)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Timster, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Timster

Timster Member

Looking to pick up a Bogner Ecstacy 101B or something similar. Question is, I hear there were numerous tweaks/updates to this model throughout the years, which years are considered best for this amp, or should I buy new? I plan on living primarily in the red channel, but will occationally use both blue and clean channels. I am looking for some killer hot-rodded plexi tones, both for grinding high gain rhythms and singing leads. The clips on the Bogner website sound like what I want for the most part.. Anyone have any advice??

2. jharpersj

jharpersj Member

I'd say buy a splawn ;>

3. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

jharpersj - I thought you loved XTC's?
    They are great amps, of everything I have sold off, I would love to get my XTC back. They can be had for a fair price if you buy used. There is one on EBay at almost all times.

4. Timster

Timster Member

did the splawn thing a couple of years ago..not my thing., although the one I did have was pretty unique since it had both Splawn and David bray mods in the same amp...

Anyways, I've always been curious about the 101B, and since I have some extra cash at the moment, I'd though I'd pick one up used to try out..

5. billm408

billm408 Member

The only mod on the 101B made by Bogner was in the red channel.
    Great amps, tons of tonal options. I tend to live more on the blue channel and use the red in plexi mode. Go here http://bognerampforum.informe.com/index.php for more details on the changes.

6. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

No disrespect to Jim Harper butI absolutely hated both my Splawns as I found them ice picky and uninspiring. but the Elmwood Modena is worth a look. I like the Ecstasy's a bunch and have had many. The Elmwood has the warmth not the voicing , but in the realm of the Ecstasy and offers a bit more articulation, gain and a few other things.

7. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

Here you go ;)

8. waylay00

waylay00 Member

+1 :dude

9. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have an 2006 Ecstasy Classic and I love it.

10. NAV1147

NAV1147 Member

ive had every version of the XTC. I had the chance to have the proto of the new anniversary xtc before namm. I have to say its the best version of the xtc Ive heard so far. I think thats the version to get.

Steve is also right about the Elmwood M90. Thats an incredible amp. But its voicing is different than a Bogner

11. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

I say buy a SLO or buy a Splawn. It is all about how an amp sits in the mix. And coincidentally I have both for sale here ... :p

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Yes Rob the M90 remains the high gainer to beat for what I like but I bet the new bog XTC kills. Can't wait to try them. Always have dug the Bogner voicing myself.

13. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Supporting Member

and last I hope. I'd take the newer 101b over the pre gain mod xtc. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I play classic to modern rock, and live on the blue channel.

14. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

If you like the Bogner tone the 101b is a killer, you may want to look at the EVH 5150III also which is a similar tone and layout. Soldano and Splawn are not the same type tone.

15. Yek

Yek Member

More info please. What's new? Gain, compression, clean channel, features??

16. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

101B red channel can do singing leads easily, but if you're looking for serious grind (if what you mean by grind is a seething rhythm with teeth and bite) I don't think it's the best choice for that.

Even the newer red channel is pretty smooth and not that "bitey" imo, maybe if you did the Cameron mod it would get more in that direction though. Just need to solder in a resistor, check out the Bogner forum for more info on that.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I'll settle this... The guys that dig darker tones like Bogner think Splawns, Marshalls, etc... are "ice picky." Guys that like Splawns, Marshalls, etc... think the darker amps are muffled and muddy.

There... :)

18. steelvalley

steelvalley Member

Excellent summation!
    I played and listened to both the QR and the XTC before I settled on the Splawn. My target tone was the kind of grind Slash gets in his GnR days, like Out Ta Get Me. The Splawn can cover that - I don't think the Bogner gets that close - it's smoother than the Splawn. Having said that, I'd love to own the XTC if you could get one used. Even so, I'd think a newer on would cost $600 more.

19. Erik

Erik Member

IMHO, the smart (and less expensive) way to buy an Ecstacy would be to get a pre 2004 model. (Old red channel)

The only difference between the new and old is a resistor and cap on R12. The parts to do the "upgrade" cost less than $5, and takes less than 5 minutes (including opening up the amp and warming up the soldering iron) to do.

I'm no amp tech, but I've changed that mod around a few times...I've got a newer version XTC, I removed the mod to bring it back to pre 2004 specs, changed it to the Cameron mod, and even tried BrentSP's "uber" mod. Personally, I preferred the Cameron mod to the red channel. The current Bogner red channel was a bit too much, the Cameron mod sits right between the pre and post 2004 mod. It is VERY easy to change that particular channel's voicing.

EDIT: BTW, I own 2 Quickrods and an Ecstacy...these are 2 VERY different amps. If you're looking for an XTC, and that's the voicing you like...I'm betting you won't like the Splawn. A Quickrod and Ecstacy not only sound different, but their respective "feel" is night and day. The clean on the XTC can be set up (check the Bogner forum for the guidlines) to be very, very nice. I prefer the clean on the XTC to the QR.

20. Ricker

Ricker Member

XTC is a very hard amp to beat for 3 channels....
    Even after having the XTC for a few months I'm finding new ways of dialing it in..........It really is a chameleon of high gain and everything in between....while still retaining it's feel and character.

The Blue channel can be set up for great inbetween gain sounds by dialing back the gain and setting it on B2....

As previously stated the red channel can be modded and I have 3 versions of the red channel installed on my 101b via toggle switches at the back of the amp.
    -pre 2004
    -post 2004
    -and Cameron Mod........
    -and I can combine the Post 2004 mod with the Cameron for a real gain saturation................

And then there is the plexi channel......so essentially 4 channels in one package.........
    A pent/triode switch to drop the amp to 50watts and then 1/2 power to drop it to 25watts.........
    an incredible series or parallel effects loop
    and 2 great boosts on all 3 channels controlled remotely via a Great 7 button footswitch
    While the clean channel will never actually sound like a cranked fender......it's still a very good clean channel and can be set up Blackfaceish or tweedy...depending on the vol and gain settings.........

Then you have the structure switch for lower and higher gain voicing.
    High and low jack inputs.........assignable presence controls......

Man if you can't make this thing work and sound killer......you gotta go practice your tweaking and your playing...;-)

I can set the XTC up to be very bright with little low mids with the B settings............

If I didn't have a Budda sd80 or sd18 I would have got the XTC classic.........but I'm digging the compression and the liquid lead tones I coax outta this 101b monster..... even at whisper volumes.

It sounds so good at low volumes.....it's unreal..
    What other 120watt amp can do all this and feel so good and fun to play.

R