Thinking about getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarSoul24, Dec 13, 2005.

1. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

I play everything, blues, rock, metal, jazz, etc. Right now I have a crappy 15 watt marshall amp. So Fender amps have amazing clean channels but for the overdrives I hear their kind of just bluesy, so I could just a pedal to get a more hard rock/metal sound?

But some people tell me it's better to get natural OD from the amp and that pedals take away from the tone. Is this true? If so what are other versatile amps I could check out? I'm planning to go to GC or Sam Ash this weekend. Thanks

2. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Guitarsoul24:

If you're going to look at the Hot Rod Deluxe, you owe it to yourself to look at the Limited Edition Hot Rod Deluxe with the Emerald Green Tolex and Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Fender swears that the only change (other than the green tolex) is the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, and if that is the case, then I'm surprsed more people haven't swapped out the stock speaker for a Vintage 30 or some other from of Celestion speaker.
    To MY ears the cleans are MUCH better with the V-30 and the overdrive channel is actually useable.

Worth checking out IMHO.

Chuck

4. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

For an affordable "do it all amp" I think you would be better served looking at the Peavey Classic 30 or 50 amps to cover all those bases. The Fender does have an outstanding clean channel, but the overdrive and more drive in my opinion just suck for rock and hard rock type music. The individual note defintion, tone, etc. I think is better on the Peavey.
    I have read that some of the new Crate stuff sounds good, but I have no experience with those amps.
    My personal favorite "do it all" amp that is reasonably affordable and easy on the back is a VHT Pitbull 45 1x12 combo. I personally don't like trying to get my overdrive from a pedal. I like to start with a good overdrive from my amp and then accentuate that if I so desire.
    The bottom line is what do your ears like? Play them side by side and see what you think. For me, the Fender Hot Rod overdrive and more drive didn't do it.

5. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

I would get the peavey classic 30 or 50 but I heard it only has 1 setting for 2 channels. So you would have to change them everytime you go from clean to OD. There's no standby switch too. And Peavy Classic 30's and 50's are hard to find, I rtied GC but that didn't have any or even sell them at anytime.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

who had the green ones?-----music123 was it. I think it was one retailer. yes the vintage 30 would help greatly. Also, check out the Traynor blue50

7. GuitarSoul24

GuitarSoul24 Member

Samash too has the green ones. Also does the peavey classic 30 have 2 inputs so I could direct connect my guitar to my amp then to my PC?

8. aeolian

aeolian Member

The Peavey has a speaker out. Glad that a bunch of people haven't chimed in trashing the HRD and saying you need some $2000 thing. If you're looking at HRDs, then the other stuff is obviously out of your budget. I've never owned one, but I've sat in though several and it's one of the first things I look for in a music store when I want to check out a guitar. I did have a Peavey Classic 30 for awhile. To me, it was much bluesier sounding. And didn't have the over the top gain that the HRD can get. The Peavey is boxier sounding when pushed. Neither amp has much body to the sound when pushed, but both definitely benefit from speaker upgrades. Bruce Zinky said his lone contribution to this amp was to voice a speaker to make it sound as loud as possible. I'm sure he could have optimized the tone (with his great ears) but volume was the spec he was given. But something really efficient like the new EMI's (my Peavey really liked a Mesa/Celestion 90) will bring out the amp a lot.

I heard Jimmy Thackery get amazing tone at a festival (and later in a local club) with a pair of miked up HRD's and a Maxon OD pedal. Guess I really don't understand Metal, as the more overdrive on the HRD sounds like that to me.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Not intending to bash the HRD, but IMO they suck. Sorry, I don't say that to bash them, I say it because that is my opinion. I wouldn't consider one of these at all. Though I'm not much of a fan of the Peavey Classic series amps, I do prefer them over the Fender Hot Rod amps. And yes, there is only one set of tone controls for both channels on the Peavey, but it's the same with the HRD.

I assume your looking for an amp in the same price range. You might consider the Traynor YCV40, this amp looks much more promising than either the Fender or the Peavey. It has two channels too. Maybe the best option is the Crate V3i12T, which is also sold as the V32 Palomino at GC. This is also a true two channel amp, with a surprisingly good Voxy chime, and plenty of distortion available when cranked. The V15 or V16 Palomino is another good choice at a little lower power rating. Another rocker is the Ampeg R12R Reverb Rocket reissue. This is not like the original at all. The originals are very cool amps, but I also really like these new ones. The clean channel is not as nice as the clean channel of the HRD, but the drive channel kicks the HRD's ass every which way you choose. No comparison. Then there is the Ampeg SJ-12T, Super Jet, a single channel amp, but a very nice channel it is. Hell, I'd even take a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT over a HRD.

There's a few amps I'd recommend over the HRD, in the same price range. If you could afford a bit more the options open up even more.

10. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

Well I've been using a Hotrod Deluxe for 7 years now. I have a few other amps I like better (Hiwatt-Laney). but I've enjoyed my Fender on 100's of gigs. I've sounded better than many people with much better Fender's & Marshalls. It depends on your personal tone & skill level.

I put some JJ tubes in my Hotrod (thanks to Superreverb2) & it sounded much better than the stock fender tubes. I also put an Emminence Govenor in (Tonespotters might do a better job). But it's a good amp. However you must invest in a Good overdrive pedal (G2D Creamtone) even an OCD works good in this amp. Because the Overdrive channels sound like CRAP.

The tweed Hotrods are the best ones. Better low end. But try them all. They may look the same but they sound different. Ohh yeah! some of my input jacks came loose after I bought mine.

Would I replace mine if I lost it....Hell no. Its boutique all the way now. No average amp will ever do again.

11. p.snail

p.snail Member

I sell the Peavey, Traynor, and Crate brands where I work and have had a lot of experience with the Hot Rod Series from Fender (I owned a Deville for a short while). Personally, for my money I would check out the new Kustom Coupe 36 amps. The cleans are excellent, the overdrive is extremely useable and the reverb is better than any of the reverbs offered on the other amp choices in my opinion. They pretty much smoke the Peavey, Traynor, and Fender amps to my ear. The Crate V series stuff is awesome also, however I would encourage you to try the ones with the Tone Tubby speakers in them. They sound a lot better to me than the regular Celestion loaded ones. Just my opinion, but I've owned a lot of amps and the Kustom and the V series stuff seem to be best bang for the buck. But try several out, you never know what you might like.

12. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Check out the Emporium. I think there are a couple of VHT Pitbull 45s on there. It's a MUCH more versatile amp than the Hot Rod, and I like the Hot Rods pretty well. It's certainly different with the EL84s, but I think you'd be happer with one of the VHTs instead of the Fender.

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

"Not intending to bash the HRD, but IMO they suck"

ROTFL...

I've owned Traynors, the aformentioned Ampeg Reverberocket and many others and the HRD stands up to them all well. Plenty of pros use them. The clean channel is 100% Fender and you really can't complain about that. Plus, the crunch is definitely useable. For under $500 used, you really can't go wrong.

14. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Crate ships amps with tone tubbies?:confused:

15. p.snail

p.snail Member

Yeah they do. They're pretty cool sounding. They are the Hempcone I think. They add a little to the price, but are well worth it in my opinion.

16. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I wouldnt mind to add a Tubby equipped v series 50 watter to my arsenal for a nice grab and go sleeper, If I recall the digital fx didnt sound half bad!

17. p.snail

p.snail Member

I don't know about the effects. I only have experience with the 30 watters and they don't have the digital effects. Billy Gibbons uses the 50 watters with effects and he knows more about tone than I do so they must be pretty good.

18. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

:MMM
    Bumped after only 34 minutes? Please show a bit more patience in the future. It's not good form to bump after so little time. 24 hours is a more respectable interval.

Thanks for your cooperation

19. aleclee

:MMM
    You might want to read Brian's announcement: Posting behavior on The Gear Page

20. aleclee

IMO the HRD has top notch cleans but its OD isn't very useful. If I were interested in a pedal-centric rig, the HRD would be very close to the top of my list.
    Such statements are so broad that they're not much more useful than the HRD's OD. :p Seriously, it's possible to get wonderful tones with a pedal in front of a clean amp. It all depends on your budget and preferences.