Thinking about getting a new neck for my '52 AVRI Telecaster.... HELP!

tele_jas

I sold some other gear and have $350, max! I, basically HATE the vintage style neck on my '52 Reissue, but I love everything else about the guitar.....so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new neck ... Help me out here, please!

I've done some research and narrowed it down to, but not limited to:

A fully loaded Baja neck ready to play for $303 shipped to my door.

Or I can get a 22 fret Warmoth with every spec I want (plus stainless steel frets and a TUSQ nut) for $350. Just not too "vintage" looking with that 22nd fret.

Or I can get a 21 fret USACG neck, very similar specs to the Baja, but with SS frets for $290 (no nut).

***Any other suggestions under $350?

Of course, I'll need to get hardware for the Warmoth and USACG, but I still have a set of tuners off a Baja I had a few years ago.

I know Musikraft is popular too, but a comparable spec'd one to the Warmoth is $400 and I can't even go over my budget $1. I can skip the nitro finish and get the thin lacquer, but is that good enough to protect it? Or I can drop the nitro to a tung-oil finish and that would get me in my range?

Open to comments. and suggestions?

tele_jas

What do you dislike about the current neck?

The 7.25 radius and small vintage frets. I was afraid of that going in, with both of my other Teles having a flatter radius (9.5 and 12) and jumbo frets..... I just can't stand this neck. I've been trying to sell the guitar for a few weeks now, but not had any luck...I love the looks and sound of it, just not the neck. So I figured if I could put a neck of my liking on it, I would keep it and just play it and stash the original neck away for future re-sale of the guitar.

Last edited:

theon

Gold Supporting Member
Seems as though you have things narrowed down to the Baja or USACG.

I would recommend the USACG.
Stainless steel fret are a plus.
You can add a nut while setting it up.
Plus the Baja is not guaranteed to play "right out of the box".
The guys at USA Custom Guitars make a great quality product.

phillygtr

It would probably cost as much as a replacement neck, and hurt the resale later if / when I go to sell it again.
The sound of the guitar is in the neck. I wouldn't have a problem getting new frets for it if it were my guitar. But that's just me

paulitk

Baja Neck is great, but a little narrow at the nut. I really dig the new Am Professionals. Fat deep C, and wider nut width.

tele_jas

Baja Neck is great, but a little narrow at the nut. I really dig the new Am Professionals. Fat deep C, and wider nut width.

I want one of those guitars, really bad! Kind of like to eventually trade this '52 AVRI for one, or towards one?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom