thinking about getting a wah, need some tips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sonic Reducer, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've been thinking about getting a wah pedal. I don't want to spend a tone of
    money so the Fulltone Clyde is out. I've read a lot of good things about that
    one. Any suggestions? Are the Dunlop 535Q's any good? I just want something
    that sounds good and is simple to use. What are some things to look for when
    picking one out? Any help would be good.

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Uhhmmm... Get a Vox Clyde RI... They're about 150 new... prolly cheaper on eBay. Supposedly true bypass and they sound somewhat decent.

3. erksin

erksin Member

You should probably go play a few first if possible - including the Clyde. If you don't hear a huge difference between the Clyde and a 'lesser' pedal buy the cheaper one and get it modded for true-bypass (a must with wahs, IMO).

If you decide the Clyde sounds best, look for one used - I got mine for $175 in near mint condition. It's a killer sounding wah, and the extended sweep range was just what I was looking for...

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Check out the Budda Wah. It's about $175 new, has really good tone, and is true bypass. I'm really happy with mine.

5. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Resale on the Cydes isn't so great. I just sold mine in excellent cond for $140 on Ebay. Definitely try before you buy. The Clyde is a very transparent and clean sounding wah. The internal trimmer is great for dialing in the wah's voice with different amps and gain levels. The extended sweep is a love/hate thing. I'm much more comfortable with a standard wah sweep and also missed the growl the Teese Picture Wah has, so I sold the Clyde and got another Picture. I will miss the Clyde though and will probably get another down the road some day.

6. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

You'll want to check out several wah's if possible to determine which one you prefer. Each has a slightly different range, or adjustable ranges and can feel somewhat different. Some also suck serious tone and need some mods.

I chose the Budda because it doesn't give me the ultra piercing high range, more of a rolled off high. If you search around you can find it below $150..... Musicians Fiend.... oops I meant friend;)

If you can afford it, the Clydes and RMC's are awesome as well, keep an eye out on e-bay, but you might have to wait a while for a really good deal.

RE: 535Q, I may be mistaken, but I believe that one falls in to the "tone sucker" category. But you might like it. Everyone's ears are different.

7. tfire

tfire Member

I just got a Silver Machine wah, and it deserves the hype it's been getting. It should be on anyone's comaprison list when they're wah shopping.

8. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

If your on a budget,the old Snarling dog Whin-o-wahs sound great & can be had for under $100.
    The whine-o + is not as nice from what I understand.
    They are TB & have voicing settings and a boost switch.Up to 12 different combos of sound.
    They look pretty cool too.

9. Marcello

Marcello Member

all you need is a dunlop classic wah with the fasel inductor, very vintage,classic rock tones, price is super friendly.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I love my 95Q crybaby. It has like a 20dB boost. And it's very intense sounding.

11. Python

Python Member

The best "lesser" wah I've heard is the Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby Classic Fasel Wah. They go for around $99 new on ebay. I think I saw them for around the same price in Guitar Center.

I went for the Teese RMC because I am a wah fanatic ... it's one of my most important pedals for what I like to play.

There are a couple of sound clips on Dunlop's web page ...
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/crybaby/products/gcb95f/Fasel-Solo.mp3
    is my favorite.

Jim

12. drolling

drolling Member

+1 on the Budda Bud Wah. Classic wah tones & true-bypassed.

Also like the plain vanilla Vox V847. Classic sound (very similar voicing to the Bud) but definitely needs a true bypass switch. This is the one I added a Foxrox booster kit to, for use w/fuzz pedals.

I was also baffled by the 'extended sweep' on the Vox McCoy, and really prefer the more traditional tone of the V847.

13. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Are these dunlop wah's (the fasel) or other Dulop wah's trube bypass?

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Does the Budda needs the booster kit to sound good with fuzzes???

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Most dunlop wahs have horrible bypass (my original crybaby is in a TB loooper).

The crybaby classic is not true bypass, but apparently the bypass is pretty good.

And I think the 535Q is true bypass, though I may be confusing it with another dunlop wah

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The Classic has a DPDT switch--I'd call that true bypass.

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

They don't mention that on their website, where did you hear this?

18. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

You definitely want to try it out with your setup, as others have mentioned. I had a Teese RMC 1 that just didn't do it for me. I sold it and bought a Picture Wha on the advice of Analog Man, and that made me happy. But others love the RMC-1, so it all depends.