Thinking about going straight to the top for a "lifetime" S type. Help me decide

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bigwebb, Feb 20, 2012.

1. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

So you've all seen a million of these threads on here before. Which S type is the best? That's not exactly the purpose of this thread though. This is more, which one is best for me?

Let me start off by saying that I've come to the conclusion that the two makers at the top of my list are Lentz and Grosh. Let me follow that up by saying that although I COULD save up the money for one in time, I am not a wealthy individual and these would be a stretch financially for me and would involve some serious "non truthiness" with the wife. I reallize though that sometimes you gotta pay to play.

I want something that is ultra resonant and just rings out unplugged. The other important factor for me is to have a neck that just plays like butter.

So what do you guys think I should go for?

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I love beautiful guitars but I believe that no guitar is worth serious "non truthiness" with the wife. There are lots of good guitars available for affordable prices. They may not be as good as your dream guitars but they also don't involve compromising your personal integrity.

3. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

There are a few used Grosh Retro Classics (Strat style) guitars on ebay all most all of the time in the $1,600 zone. You can't go wrong there. Buy used and you can get your money back out if you don't bond with it.

Mine is "ultra resonant and just rings out unplugged". Fits your requirements perfectly.

Know what neck size you want-(med, med/large/large etc).

Look at the Grosh website for specs.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

You will not fully enjoy the guitar if your wife is misinformed about what it cost.

5. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Agreed, if you really need to save, and want to be able to bail out without a loss, buy used from a reputable gearpager.

6. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

If its going to be a life time strat , Tandler/Morgaine will be the right choice for you.

7. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

8. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

not interested in anything fender other than custom shop at the moment. I've played plenty of good Fender's and even had an MIM that I kick myself for selling but I have never played one even close to some of the high end s types I have played.

9. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

I'll go ahead and say that I think there's no need to put that sort of pressure on your purchase. The idea of a "lifetime strat" before you buy is just unachievable. You get a "lifetime strat" with luck, not with careful planning IMO. Oh sure, you can increase your chances of getting one by choosing the builder, the woods, the neck measurements and so forth - an itemized invoice of materials and measurements can give you ideas/guesstimates but nothing is like picking up the instrument and banging on it.

You can order from Scott Lentz or Don Grosh or whoever and have them make it exactly to your specs - but there's no guarantee that you'll 100% be happy when it arrives. Case in point: I decided I wanted a custom built acoustic one time. I talked with the builder and several other professional acoustic players who I respect and we put together the best guitar for me possible. It took ten months to build and guess what: in that 10 months, I had changed my neck profiles that I liked. So when I got the guitar, although it was perfect for what I wanted when I ordered it, I didn't really like the way it played all that much because I now preferred a different feel. But I'd paid so much and I'd made it out to be my "lifetime guitar" that I have no choice but to live with it.

Buy a guitar, play it, if you like it then keep it. Otherwise sell it and keep buying/selling until you're happy. If at any point you aren't happy, sell it and buy a different one!

10. xroads

xroads Member

+1
    Excellent answer. I would buy a used Grosh or Lentz that, on paper, looks right. If it's not what you are after, sell it at no loss and look further.

11. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

+1,000 on this. Seriously. No guitar is worth a cover up or lie. To anyone, but especially your wife.

12. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough. I'd say you are on the right track then. To Lentz and Grosh, I'd add Danocaster, LSL, and Vinetto. Price-wise, the Danocaster and the Grosh are likely to be the lowest (assuming you buy used).

13. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Truth x 1000%. Its just a freakin guitar. Cost doesn't mean you're gonna get a guitar you bond with. My "lifelong" strat is a parts strat from back when Nick at Rocketfire was sourcing parts... Its unbelievable and its... you guessed it... an Allparts neck, a light alder body, and his hand wound pups... Just happened to scratch where I itched and now I won't ever sell it... Too many miles on it.

But I'm different... I wouldn't want a guitar that booteeky... Im too hard on guitars.

14. elterrell

elterrell Member

My wife has learned to not ask questions that she doesn't want to know the answers to. I have learned the same. We have had 15 years of semi-peaceful and harmonious marriage.

15. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Financially stretching for a guitar is a stupid thing to do. If you think the guitar is a stretch, the price is nothing compared to lying to your wife.
    Definitely says something about character. Get a mirror before you get a new axe.

16. codyj84

codyj84 Member

So much wisdom in this post.

17. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Words of wisdom. Your dream guitar could be used as well. I've bought much of my best gear used.
    PM'd you btw

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Ordering a "lifetime guitar" is a fool's errand. You'll know a "lifetime guitar" when you find it.

19. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

thank you for the replies. Please leave marriage advice out of this. The comment about my wife was a joke anyway. It may take some smoothing over but I make the money and I spend it where i please. So keep the self righteousness out of my thread please. Thanks again.

To all the folks telling me to try a bunch of guitars, there just aren't places around that I can go and try a bunch of custom shop quality guitars especially Lentz, Fender CS etc.

20. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Prowl the forum for a used Lentz or Grosh. A Lentz SSL just sold for $1700. Grosh's are about the same.