Thinking about ordering a Hamer Artist P90...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Jul 31, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Still absolutely love the korina Jr, so I've been thinking about what my next hamer is gonna be.
    I was thinking that the artist might be the way to go.I was thinking about getting one in mahogany with P90's and a wrapover.I'm after something similar to my jr, same neck profile, similar feel/sound and something that I'd like as much.I had thought about a studio or something, but I thought that might be too similar to the korina jr, and I'm not mad keen on maple tops.
    I thought that the artist might have the same neck profile, similar shape/size/weight/feel/vibe, the neck pickup and f hole would give me a little something extra that my korina jr doesn't have, and I thought the fhole and mahogany construction might give it a slightly different flavour to the tone, similar but not identical to the korina jr.
    I was also hoping that the semi solid construction might give me a touch more feedback than my jr, so I can get that on the edge of feedback sustaining type sound.I was also hoping the artist might have a similar vibe to the jr tone wise, i.e. raw phat and dirty.

Any artist owners out there wanna give me their opinion??And if you have/had a korina jr to compare it to, all the better!!!

2. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I own both a Junior and anartist mahogany p-90 and yes they compliment each other sometimes a bit too much. I would suggest if you were thinking of ordering one that you consider the an Artist Mahogany with 3 p-90s Hamer made a korina version so I'm fairly certain you can get a Mahogany version made. The extra pickup gets you some of a strat quack and make it more versatile than the two pick up version. especially since you already have a junior. either way two or three pickup version with a wrap around you'll have a killer guitar. Here's a photo of a Korina version from Willcutt's recently sold page.
    [​IMG]

3. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

The chambered Korina and P90s is heaven! Articulate and toneful!

4. Blauserk

Blauserk Member

I have an Artist Korina with P90s. It is incredibly versatile and toneful guitar, and although I go through guitars very quickly, I've had it for going on 6 years and have told the wife, "don't ever let me sell this." I think the f-hole adds a new dynamic to playing. I agree with Mike C, though, that getting the korina one might be too much overlap, so you might think about the mahogany model.

I'm NOT a fan of custom ordering--I would prefer to buy Hamers used because of the hit you take on resale of virtually all non-Gibson/non-Fender guitars (although I've bought 3 of my 5 Hamers new, and two were custom-ordered). But if price were not an object, I'd get a mahogany 3-pup Artist with a Pigtail wraparound in a custom color--say, fiesta red or Cadillac green.

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Thats the thing.....I really want one 2nd hand.I missed out on an awesome custom colour one cos they guy changed his mind about selling (can't blame him!!) which started the ball rolling.
    I'd prefer 2nd hand, but the chances of getting a mahogany one, let alone one in a nice colour are practically zero.At 2nd hand prices lack of wrapover doesn't bother me as they're such good value guitars.So, I thought if I'm gonna get a new mahogany one I might as well go all the way and get one in a colour I want with the wrapover I want.Even new they're good value compared to a gibson I think.

6. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

Although the used prices of Hamers are going up they still are a good deal based upon quality compared to what's out there. The new ones are stratospheric in price (and rightly so) but still a deal compared to Private stock when it comes to getting exactly what you want. I'd go for the wraparound if that's what you want, otherwise you'll always wonder what it could have been.

7. TonyV

TonyV Member

As was mentioned before buy a used Hamer

Although the used prices are up a bit, Hamer has really raised the price of new guitars considerably. You should be able to find a P90 artist used, just a little patience and you'll save ton$.

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

Good choice either way, and especially good financially if you can find a used one.

If I had extra money, I would be all over one of those Korina Jrs with the single Dog Ear P-90 red tortoise shell pickguard. Do they make a red version of that guitar (not Korina)?

9. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

10. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

The guy I bought mine from also was selling a red one, it was a custom order for BCR music though I think.

I'd be all over a good 2nd hand artist, but the chances of finding a mahogany one in a nice colour are slim to say the least,.Everyone has korina's.

11. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

12. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

In an ideal world I'd have a white one.I only know 1 person who's got one, and he's not selling!!