Thinking about putting greenbacks in my Orange 4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hiatt1991, May 21, 2015.

1. Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Member

Hi guys. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I have an Orange 4x12 with V30s and a Marshall AX cab with Greenbacks. I have a 1979 Marshall JMP 100 watt head that i use with the Marshall cab. Im afraid that i could blow the speakers since the Marshall cab is only rated at 100 watts. I also have an Orange AD30 which is only 30 watts so i had the idea of putting the Greenbacks in the Orange cab and the V30s in the Marshall cab. I realize i could just use the orange with the marshall and vice versa but I want to try something different. Anybody have any experience doing this? Thanks

2. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Do you plan to mix a pair of the GB's with the V30's? You might find that sonically appealing. I prefer to mix speaker type/models. Go for it - worse case you 'waste' some time scratching this itch. Or get a higher powered GB type speaker - the M series Scumback play well with Marshall classic sound.

Russ

3. Hiatt1991

Hiatt1991 Member

Thanks Russ. I might try that first! (Mixing the greenbacks and v30s.)

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

But you still won't gain any headroom with speaker cab doing this. The greenbacks are still the weakest link and would still be getting 1/4 of the power of you Marshall head. You could dump a pair of 100w speaker in there with the greenback but you'd still only have 120w of power handling in that cab.

5. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I tried the V30's on bottom, GB'S on top in my AX cab,but much prefer the straight GB's with my 79 and 80 jmp 2203s . I'm going for 60s /70s classic rock/hard rock,and the GB's do that perfectly (duh)..... Metal or Punk,you might like the V30's more.
    Unless you play at' blow your bandmates off stage 'volume, you shouldn't have a problem with the 100 watt rating.

6. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

You ain't gonna blow those Greenbacks, man. But if you do, they will sound awesome just before they blow.