Thinking about refretting my EJ Strat... 6100's or 6105's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by coolhand78, Dec 6, 2016.

1. coolhand78

coolhand78 Member

I love my EJ strat, but I've never been a fan of the frets, they've always felt quite low and small to me. I like big strings (11-48) and play bluesy/claptony/hendrixy type music.

what would people around here suggest with regards to the fretwire? I've had 6100 on a guitar before and liked it a lot, but it seems that 6105 is very popular...?

Also is it possible to refret the EJ without having to respray the neck?

Cheers

Luke.

2. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

I had one of the early EJ strats. Very nice guitar but way too much lacquer in the neck and the flat radius combined with overly stiff action was too much for me. As a partial solution, I re-fretted it with 6100. I used the wider 6100 fret wire because it was about the same size as what was already there, just taller.

Similarly, I put 6105 on my 52RI Tele, because it had thinner vintage-style frets and I just wanted them taller. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. If I were you, I'd go with 6100 on an EJ.

Alternatively, you could do what I did years later and just sell the EJ and buy a Danocaster double cut. That ended my search for doublecut S type guitars - and endless modifications of less than satisfactory versions.

Rod likes this.
  3. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Member

I agree. I have had plenty of guitars with both sizes and while 6105's are very serviceable, I have a special fondness for 6100's. I always felt they really helped with note articulation.

4. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I like Joe's idea the best..... but I use 6100 fretwire on all my guitars.... and take it one step further and buy some Jescar Gold fretwire.... wears like SS, sounds like nickel

6. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Mines an 09 and I play 11s with no issues.

Having said that, I'd probably go with 6100 if I refretted mine.

7. jklotz

jklotz Member

Personally, I've learned 6105 is the go to for me. But I'm under the impression that it's a very personal thing. You just have to figure out what works for you.

I've also played guitars with frets that would have normally been way too "jumbo" or "wide" for my taste, but played great. I think the way they are finished/crowned has something to do with it as well.

I could be wrong. Ymmv