Thinking about repainting my vintage Strat.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SNESKid, May 23, 2020.

1. jsboswell

jsboswell Supporting Member

I'd change the pickguard to mint and go with a conventional pickup/knob/switch tip configuration in either parchment or cream. The base body color is unique and looks really good.

PatrickE_FenderADV and IAO like this.
  2. tktk

tktk Member

Hmmm, I was born in '87, and now I'm already vintage...

shane8 likes this.
  3. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

I wouldn't have it refinished, it would probably cost as much as buying a new or used body in the color you want.
    I would either buy a body, or buy another guitar in the color you want.
    Especially since you are talking about returning to original Strat look.

4. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I wouldn't change a thing about that guitar.

5. Kitwell

Kitwell Supporting Member

I think a parchment or even mint green pickguard would breath life in to that guitar. I’d probably buy a different guitar before repainting it.

spacebar likes this.
  6. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Str...342959?hash=item3fe1a0abaf:g:QtYAAOSwpaxewRnU

7. Not Through Yet

Not Through Yet Member

Yet

I actually love that colour (with a parchment pickguard - very mid 60s custom colour vibe) and would pay extra for it over a same year common colour.

FWIW

After a few decades of messing around with the odd refinish, my personal approach to an old guitar I didn’t love the colour of now would be to buy a replacement body in a colour I do love and safely store the original at the back of a cupboard that until time came to sell it.

8. habatu

habatu Member

If you love everything else about the body except the color then I'd say go for it. I also think Daphne Blue looks better than the Gunmetal Blue you have.

9. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

just remember, if you refinish it, it will be a new color for sure.. it will also be a different guitar.. they never go back together exactly as they were..

r

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I’d change the plastics. Whitish pickguard and strat-style knobs.

PatrickE_FenderADV likes this.
  11. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

A lot of the cost of the job will come from taking off the original finish, it is often cheaper to buy another body either in Daphne blue or get it painted Daphne, I'd recommend MJT. Then swap back and forth between both body's or eventually sell the one you like less. This works out cheaper than painting the original body.

Dashface likes this.
  12. Dashface

Dashface Member

It is a cool guitar, and one you like, and from an era of Start I personally like - but as pointed out it is not a particularly “valuable” guitar, so do what you like to it.

That being said, I can almost guarantee that it will be cheaper for you to simply buy another body in the colour you want than to have that guitar stripped and refinished professionally.

So just do that. Plus then you can always go back.

13. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Hmm, I would be careful.

I think my 16 year old Strat is a model that will be ‘desirable’ in the future, but it’s sunburst.

For a while, I’ve not been a fan of bursts and would much prefer it to be burgundy mist, daphne blue or shell pink, but I know it’d be a fool’s errand to re-fin.

14. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Have to say no to refinish almost always unless the original finish has already been removed.

PatrickE_FenderADV likes this.
  15. Dominik

Dominik Member

I'd leave it alone and go the partscaster route for the body. That way if you ever change your mind you can always return it back to stock.

Pablo and PatrickE_FenderADV like this.
  16. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

I’d leave it alone... that way when it actually becomes vintage in 13 to 18 years it will be worth more as the “original” finish.

If it were me I’d swap out the pickguard and knobs and then you have a good looking ‘87 strat! :aok

FWIW - I did a refin on a ‘97 strat and regret it a little, but it sounds very good! (Went from poly to nitro, it cost too much IMHO)

Dominik likes this.
  17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

Personally I wouldn't do it, not because refinishing a guitar from the '80s is a big deal but because I like the original color much better than Daphne Blue.

But I'm not you.

ripgtr and PatrickE_FenderADV like this.
  18. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

It isn't vintage. It's worth what a typical strat would be worth. Paint it whatever color you like best and play the snot out of it. :)

19. Capador

Capador Member

I went through the same thing a few years ago with a Les Paul (not vintage). I would ONLY do a refin if you LOVE the way this guitar plays and don't every intend to sell it. Here's why:

Refins from quality shops like RS will likely be close to the cost of the guitar. This is because, to do it right, they need to take the guitar apart, properly strip the old fin and then carefully put coats of paint and finish on at different times, sand, repeat. For a strat with no binding, solid color and no aging, I'd guess at least around $600-$700. I think there is also a discount if you take it apart yourself and just ship them the body. There is usually a back log and it usually takes at least a month or more, so also don't be surprised to have your guitar be gone for over 3 months.

You DEFINITELY don't want to go to Bob's Discount Refinishes. When you watch the process, it is detailed and delicate to get it correct and you don't want to go cheap. The only thing that will lower the value of your guitar more than a refinish is a BAD refinish.

As I just mentioned, you will not be adding value to your guitar. Especially with a vintage guitar, it's likely you will be lowering the value....so very low if non existent ROI.

Finally, it's also likely that some of the tonal properties of the guitar will change. Could be for the better, but that's subjective. Immediately after my Les Paul refin, the guitar sounded darker to me, which was a bummer. Strangely, after a few months of sitting around, that went away and now I think it sounds better than before.

20. SNESKid

SNESKid Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. Last night I decided that the more practical route is to simply change the plastics. As someone mentioned, I think it would really help breath new life into this guitar.

Question now is.. what color controls / pickguard do I go with?