Thinking about replacing my One Spot with a Pedal Power

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John Bell, Jan 6, 2008.

1. John Bell

John Bell Member

Am I going to notice any difference? It seems like a lot of money,but maybe worth it.I don't know.That's why I'm asking.I'll be powering a wah pedal and FD2 mosfet,Mini Deja vibe,Boss DD3 and a TU12 tuner.I may add a couple more pedals in the future.

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

John,

If you want to add some more esoteric pedals in the future (Fuzz, Line 6, Boss Dual pedals, etc), you may want a Pedal Power.......they're great.

But for what you have (similar to my setup), the One Spot works perfectly well.

- jim

3. John Bell

John Bell Member

The One Spot I have has been on my board for almost 4 years.I recently been having some issues with hum.Also when I mess around with the daisy chain I get all kinds of crackling noise.I'm not sure if it's the One Spot or the daisey chain.I new One Spot setup is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Pedal Power that's for sure.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

do it!

the one spot is great for the money (i use one myself when scraping together random pedals for a jam or whatever), but i've seen more than one turn into a "no spot" in the middle of a gig.

as far as the pedal power, i had no idea my pedalboard was noisy at all until i got one, and it became silent!

5. John Bell

John Bell Member

That's the info I'm looking for.The hum is coming from my DD3 which is run through the loop via to extra cables that go to my board.When I disconnect the daisy chain from it and put a battery in it the hum is gone.I'd hate to have spent 170 bucks on the PP and still have the hum.I guess it's worth a shot.
    Thanks for your help.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo John ... I can't believe you're asking this question ...
    I was just looking into doing the exact same thing today ...
    (maybe some of us who hang out here, are starting to share the same menstrual cycle ...)

My question is, how big is the Pedal Power ..?

7. John Bell

John Bell Member

I think it's a little smaller than a Full Drive pedal.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Which isn't small ...uhmmm...
    I've been using a DD-3 too lately....
    Interesting ...

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

John- this is probably due to a ground loop problem between the pedals. Solutions for stuff like this is usually trial and error. The PP may solve it, but it's an expensive trial. Sometimes just a dedicated One Spot (or battery if it is a low draw pedal, like a wah) to the offensive pedal is enough to solve the problem. That would be the first thing I'd try for a low cost solution. (It also gives you power supply redundancy.)

10. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Order the PP2 from somehwere they have a good return policy, and test it out. If its doesn't improve on hum or noise and in that regard is equal to the One Spot, returm the PP2 for a refund. If it is the $170 improvement you were hoping for, keep it.

11. John Bell

John Bell Member

I have located the source of the hum.It comes from my Boss DD3 delay.It's on my board with all the other pedals,but it is run through the effects loop of the amp instead of being inline with everything else.When I unplug the daisy chain from the delay the hum is gone.

12. Structo

Structo Member

Perhaps the problem is in the cables to and from your loop?
    Not good enough shielding or overall quality.
    Don't know what you are using but I would look at those first.

Or a problem with your loop.
    I do know that sometimes the jacks on a FX loop can get dirty and cause problems even when not in use, as the switching part of the jack can become dirty or corroded.

13. fullerplast

Try running through just the DD3 (still in the loop). Disconnect everything else and see if you still get a hum with the one spot.

14. John Bell

John Bell Member

I just plugged my guitar straight into the amp,but still had the DD3 on and running through the loop.No hum at all.............

15. fullerplast

That means the noise is not due to the one spot or the signal loop to the amp, but an interaction with another pedal. Based on that, I'd try the dedicated one spot as your cheapest solution. Not guaranteed (ground loop problems never are:)), but that's what I'd try first.

16. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

The best thing I did for my board was add the PP2+. I eliminated the ground loop hums and gave me the cleanest signal I could get with 7+ pedals. I even bought one for my "b" rig. Expensive but worth it IMHO!

17. mojovibes

mojovibes Member

...and a dd3 dedicated one-spot can serve as a hot backup in case the other one-spot dies...and with two one-spots you can drive an arsenal of pedals (I run 10-11 diff. pedals with just one one-spot and two daisy chain cables) and no clogging on the pedal board, and for the price you can get additional one-spots to throw to fans at the end of the show :NUTS !
    ...only downside you're defeating the very essence/name of one-spot as it is now a two-spot :rolleyes: !?
    actually if I'd need 18 volts than hmm..but otherwise...

Cheers
    Dean

18. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

definitely a ground-loop problem. you can sometimes fix it by making cables, either signal or adapter power, that have the ground disconnected on one end. (i've run into this before when using tuners with a-b boxes.)

the pp2+ will almost certainly fix this issue, along with improving the overall noise level.

19. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I had been looking for a cheaper alternative to the PP2+ that would also fit under by gig Pedaltrain. I bought a BBE Supacharger at Guitar Center yesterday and they have them on clearance for $99.99. Includes all the cables. It does not have a courtesty outlet but does have isolated outputs. I had another thread up yesterday asking about this and one fine gentleman measured the outputs to find out how close they were. 9V and 12V settings were dead on. 16V settings were higher voltage...something in the 19V range.

I have yet to plug mine up, but this thing comes close enough for me at roughly $50-60 less than the PP2+.

20. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

A well-known pedal maker told me to get rid of my 1Spot (and others like it) if I wanted to avoid frying my pedals. I know people have used their 1Spots for years but I followed the guy's advice.