• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Thinking about taking the plunge. Refinishing my Strat?

Theorist

Silver Supporting Member
There was another thread recently about a rosewood fretboard Strat, Mine is similar, but about a maple one...

I’ve recently bought a Lonestar Strat that I really like, except the color.

It is an interesting color, Ocean Turquoise, but I’m not much of a green person, so I’m thinking about finishing it in tungsten or pewter and putting a black guard and black plastic all around like this one:

She is currently like this:

View media item 157148
I’m not sweating over resale value, nor do I live somewhere where there is plenty of guitars for me to choose another one. IMO it’s gonna look killer.

What would be your favorite color for a Strat like this?

fjrabon

There was another thread recently about a rosewood fretboard Strat, Mine is similar, but about a maple one...

It is an interesting color, Ocean Turquoise, but I’m not much of a green person, so I’m thinking about finishing it in tungsten or pewter and putting a black guard and black plastic all around like this one:

View media item 157148
I’m not sweating over resale value, nor do I live somewhere where there is plenty of guitars for me to choose another one. IMO it’s gonna look killer.

For some reason on HSS Strats I’ve always preferred black with a black pickguard. Standard Strats I prefer Olympic white with a mint green guard.

TVa

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Ocean Turquoise with the white (cream? mint?) pick guard looks better because it's a maple board guitar. I feel like the pewter/black would look better with a rosewood board. If you play for a certain type of audience, your changes could make a lot of sense though.

Tootone

Check the Serial Number on the guitar to get its age.

It looks to me like a 90's or very early 00's model.

That means its likely to have veneer top and back (used by Fender to speed up painting time).

Stripping it back is going to introduce a whole raft of new issues.

FWIW... Ocean Turquoise is cool, and guitar looks cool as is..

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I am also planning on refinishing an HSS Alvarez Strat-style axe. It's Alder and had a sunburst finish that I have 90% stripped off. I'm planning on doing something in the gray/silver or green or blue families. I just refinished a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas with Tru-Oil so I've caught the fever.

Who are y'all liking for finishing supplies? So far I've found these vendors/brands:
Aerosols:
-ReRanch (good reputation, classic colors)
-Colortone (good reputation, slightly limited colors)
-Behlen/Mohawk (limited colors)
-Gracey's (wide selection of colors, but I haven't heard much about these folks)

Stains:
-Wudtone

Any nitrocellulose not marketed specifically for instruments? Any automotive brands?

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
I know how you feel about those bolder colors on a Strat. I'm a fan of them myself.

But honestly, that OT is a great color with the maple board and mint green guard. I think if you had a cream colored bucker on that guitar, it would look even better. Or, a single coil, even better than better. : )

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member

View media item 157148

I wouldn’t ever refinish a bolt-on. You can get a whole new body (probably even lighter than yours) finished in whatever color you want and just swap them out.

When it’s time to sell, just swap back.

Theorist

Silver Supporting Member
Man that look shape as-is!
Once that color ages a bit and you play that guitar it will look even better. I would leave it as is but that is me.
You guys are making me question myself and regret ordering the black guard from WD. After I posted this the guitar is looking better then ever.

I wouldn’t ever refinish a bolt-on. You can get a whole new body (probably even lighter than yours) finished in whatever color you want and just swap them out.

When it’s time to sell, just swap back.
That’s a route I might consider...

toomanyamps

View media item 157148

For that guitar I would either change the plastics to black, or the humbucker to white.
If you really want to change the color buy a new body. Stripping a poly Fender is not a road I would go down.

Milkman

Stripping a Strat body takes a few hours. It's no big deal. Fill your boots. It's a fun project and you can end up with something unique.

If you can get past the (in my opinion) false assumption that a thin nitro finish somehow allows a guitar to.....breathe?, applying a poly coat over your chosen colour is also not all that tricky.

SciFlyer

Silver Supporting Member
I would also leave that guitar as-is. Great color. Maybe the humbucker would look better matching the other pickups.

Trending Topics