1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about two OD pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Badfrog, May 23, 2011.

1. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

First off I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a Wampler Ecstasy. Something that is nice and transparent, great for rhythm play and some low gain blues lead playing.

But I'd like one more dirt pedal, something that is meant for some hardcore searing leads. I want thick smooth singing sustain. I've messed around with stacking two tubescreamer types and loved some of the results (FYI, I use an MIA strat and a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue) but I'd like to be able to get this in just one pedal. I suppose I could just put my two screamers on the board but it would be nice to have just one pedal.

What pedals are going to get me in that area? Something smooth and heavy that wants to melt your face off? Would rather not go past $225

2. sbr

sbr Member

Suhr Riot?

3. theraygun

theraygun Member

Visual Sound Double Trouble

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

You need a fuzz face or muff for nice leads. The Skreddy Lunar Module is nice for that. Personally I use an Analogman KOT but that pedal will cost about an extra $100 or more of your $225 allowance. A pedal similar to the KOT I think is the cmatmods deluxe Signa Drive. You will get many suggestions on this topic though.

5. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

The Freakish Blues Alpha Drive pretty much sold me on the demo, and most demos are awful. That pedal covers a fair amount of sonic ground and is right in your price range.

6. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

The Wampler Ecstasy has been the cornerstone of my sound for about five years now. Fantastic pedal! Can't say enough good things about the Ecstasy. For a while, I came close to just running a second Ecstasy as it's pair. I found, though, the perfect compliment to the Ecstasy to fullfil the "singing leads" need is a Zendrive. They pair so well it's more of just an extention of the Ecstasy when you boost it. I'm really picky with my OD "stacking" and this one of the only pairings that has stuck (I'm actually thinking about getting them rehoused into one pedal). And the best thing about it is it sounds just as good across many types of amps. My main amp is a Bad Cat Hot Cat but for smaller gigs I run them through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with just as much success.

For me and what I do, you can't beat these two. Just my two cents.

7. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

+1 Lunar Module. This pedal KILLS for lead tone. I would recommend the deluxe model, though. It's just so nice to have the internal trims readily accessible. It's only $10 more, but TOTALLY worth it

8. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Thanks for the replies already folks. I wondered if maybe I should just get another high quality OD pedal and stack it with the Wampler Ecstasy.

The Suhr Riot write up sure makes it sound like it's the one. Aren't there quite a few different Zendrives out there?

9. RockDC

RockDC Member

Ya that's the first one that came to my mind:cool:

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I just bought a Lunar Module on ebay for $210, my first Fuzz and I am pumped to get it! Listen to Kit Rae's Comfortably Numb solo. The Deluxe is $235 new if you can wait (the regular is $195 new). I haven't seen a Deluxe used, but you can imagine there is mark-up.

Although, I am seeing two types of suggestions: D-Style and Fuzz and I can't help but feel they are quite different. I have also been interested in a D-Style for the rich, creamy, thick and smooth leads, but they seem to have less cut-through and might not do it for your searing leads. The TS has this in the midrange, the Fuzz might be more of an open (less midrange focused) tone. But I am not sure you will get both in one.

As far as D-Style, I have to disagree with Fulltone - I think the Alpha Drive's clips sound great and that seems to be the end-all-be-all of D-Style (at least right now in hype). The Ectasy looks cool, but less smooth and I think the Alpha beats the Zen.

IMO, they all play a different role. I think a TS, D-Style, Fuzz (at least one) and a Transparent OD (ie Tim - better bass than Timmy and separate boost is clutch), would be absolutely kick ass, but at around $200+ each... might be worth picking up a few of these over time rather than buying cheaper ones and selling them eventually. I would also get a nice compressor for leads. Personally, I would make sure your amp is up to par first though, otherwise nothing else matters (not to quote Metallica). A good amp can cover a wide range of tones, especially if you use any of the above pedals as a boost when the amp is near breakup.