Thinking Cube 60 For At Home Practice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by devilrob1979, May 26, 2008.

1. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

What do you fellas say? I have a Mark IV that does the band thing so that's not an issue but my old POS Crate is just a joke anymore and I only use it to check wiring on pedals and guitars I fix or mod for friends. I have a Boss GT-6 so I'm familiar with the COSM concept. There isn't a tube amp in existence that will give me what I need at the volumes I'm talking about. I know enough to know that. I should say that I HATE playing through headphones. Is there a better practice amp for an apartment dweller out there?

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Cube 30 or 60 will fit the bill. I spend a bit of time over in a Jazz guitar forum and lots of pro and semi-pro players swear by the new Cubes. Although most of those guys only use the JC-120 model. A lot of them use the 60s for gigs too. If you're just playing in an apartment you probably only need the 30.

3. wilerty

wilerty Member

The Cube 30X is plenty ...

4. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Vox DA-5 for bedroom/apartment jamming, IMHO.

5. tcforec

tcforec Member

I bought a micro-cube yesterday and its plenty for low volume apartment jamming....plus you can get about 30 hours on six AA batteries if you want to jam by the pool. Tried the Vox too but I think the Roland sounds a little better and it' a bit cheaper.

6. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

I've been wondering whether a Cube 60 or 30 would be OK for recording. I'm really after the clean JC120 chorus sound without wanting to shell out $900 for the real thing. Besides, I don't have the room for the JC120. I see tons of posts about using it for gigging or practice. How about recording?

(I also find it ironic that I'm putting so much effort into a $300, ultimately disposable, item. I spent less time researching my last guitar, which cost 5X that amount.)

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

I use the Cube60 - it's cheap and cheerful, lightweight. I've never used the Marshall models though. The BF, JC and to a lesser degree (because the overall gain is too high) the AC are acceptable. Would it replace my tube amps? No, but it is very handy to have around.

Best, Pete.

8. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I've got the MicroCube, a VOX DA5, and a VOX AD50VT for home use. I think the DA5 sounds great. Speaker doesn't fart out like the MicroCube.

9. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I've got a Micro Cube and a Cube 30....love them both....the Micro Cube always goes with me on vacation....the Cube 30 has plenty for practicing around the house.

10. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I wish I still had my Cube 60 :(

I like it a little better than the 30 even at lower volumes. Has a little more girth...

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Cube 30 owner. great little amp.