thinking I might switch to esquire for MORE versatility

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by re-animator, Mar 4, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

that's right, i said it :)

I'm currently a tele player, but the esquire mystique is really alluring, i think it may even provide more versatility than my tele for the styles I play.

I know there are a trillion and 1 ways to wire an esquire, but here's what i'm thinking:

position 3 - no tone control.... possibly no volume control. rough and hard-edged rhythm and lead tones.

position 2 - same setup, but both controls are active

position 1 - this is where I take exception... i don't really dig the low-muddy 1st position on my tele. I'm wondering what the alternatives are.... whats another cool tone to be had??? if there was a way to have position 1 cut some of the output for an on-demand clean tone (by manipulating output), that might be worth looking into... but what are the other alternatives??

c'mon esquire guys. show me what you got.

2. Ogre

Ogre Member

Esquires are great, but there are more tones available with 2 pickups. Simple as that.

3. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

There is something about an Esquire and how you can make them sound how you CHOOSE to make them sound is what makes them special. Hard to believe that a one pickup guitar can be MORE versatile then a two or three pickup guitar but there is a lot of validity to the original posters comments. Never thought in my entire life I would own a Esquire just because I usually play Gretsches, but after trying a couple over the years, it's the one guitar that haunted my dreams until I got one. :D

4. c_mac

c_mac Member

A good Tele neck pickup can make a big difference.

5. re-animator

i'm currently using fralins in the neck and bridge, so i don't think its the pickup.

Neck pickup on the tele just isn't my thing anymore.

6. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

Perhaps no volume, so you can use it as a kill switch?

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'd recommend getting an Esquire. But do it because they're great guitars and a lot of fun to play. I wouldn't get one for versatility though.

8. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

An Esquire only sounds like an Esquire if there is no front pickup pulling on the strings. A tele on the bridge pickup and an Esquire on the bridge pickup are two different animals.

9. re-animator

yeah, that and the ability to switch out the tone/vol circuit on demand are the big selling points for me.

Frankly I would go esquire even if there were only those 2 positions (middle and rear)... .i'm just trying to think of something cool to do with the front position and wanna hear some ideas.

10. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Like someone that posted this in another Esquire thread the other day:

"Wire in a pot in that position and turn til you find a nice but different tone, take a ohm meter reading and replace with same value cap or resistor."

Good idea!! I'm gonna try it.

11. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

BINGO! +1 Thats it. No pull from the neck pickup. Thats were the magic is on the esquire. Mine is wired like this position-1 kill ,off / position 2 volume and tone controls / position 3 bridge full out with volume control. The cut position is cool like a off switch.

12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

When I wired my last Esquire, I wired it:

1. Volume and tone

2. Volume only

3. Straight out

This way I had a warm rhythm tone that was adjustable in the forward position. The middle position had a change to full bridge tone but with some attenuation due to the volume setting. All the way back was straight out of the guitar for rip snortin' Tele lead.

It worked really well.

13. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

I have 4 Esquires.

I use the "simple" method at the bottom of this page
    http://www.tdpri.com/wiringESQUIRE.htm

with the .0047 cap.
    I have tried a couple of different value caps in that position, but I really dig the .0047.

14. re-animator

sounds like a winner!

15. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I've had two Esquires, my latest one used the .0047 cap & I liked it; it's only mildly bassy, but has an overdriven quality to it. I built my first Esquire with no switch, and I used a no-load tone pot to give me the "with/without tone pot" sounds; it was cool having an even more stripped-down Esquire.

Both times, though, I ended up missing the neck pickups too much...