Thinking I want these pedals, talk me down..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JStizz, Apr 22, 2016.

1. JStizz

JStizz Member

I've been a little out of game in terms of acquiring new gear and keeping up to date. So, I'm looking for advice on things that may be comparable or if people have had reliability issues with any of these.

I like to make lots of loud noise and play in various rock outfits (one that's inspired by NIN and the like, another that's inspired by heavy blues).

Here's the list of pedals I'm chasing.

EHX POG2 (to replace my Digitech Whammy 4)
    EQD Grey Channel (to replace my Barber LTD SR and maybe my Xotic RC booster, too)
    Strymon Flint (to replace my Supernatural and my broken cheapo trem pedal)
    EQD Spires (to replace my Lil Big Muff)
    Source Audio Nemesis Delay (to replace my aging DL4)
    MXR Sub Machine Fuzz (bc more fuzz is never too much)

I use a Vox AC30 HW w Greenbacks and a p90 loaded semi hollow.

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I don't think you'll get a lot of "talk me down" on here.

I'd get the Nemesis. Or a DD-500. I really can't say enough good stuff about the DD-500. Life's too short to go without a great delay pedal.

Get the POG2. Or if you just want to replace the Whammy, get a Pitch Fork and save some cash.

I'd probably pass on the rest. The only one I've personally had was the Flint which I liked but didn't love. The AC30 & P90s are awesome tho. Love that sound.

3. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Aging/broken? Replace.

Otherwise? Ask yourself next week.

4. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Buy them. Buy them all.

5. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

+1 on the Pitchfork vs the Pog2. Hook up an expression pedal and you've got a Whammy with polyphonic pitch-bending

About the Flint - If you already like your Supernatural, you might be better off just getting a good dedicated tremolo pedal. I like my Flint's trems just fine, but I won't say there aren't better trem options out there.

Also, you might look at the EQD Hoof as your Muff replacement. It's like a Muff with more tonal control (no more getting lost in the mix with the Muff's scooped mids). The Spire looks awesome, but it's an entirely different style of fuzz.

6. xcc

xcc Member

Sleep on it, then get the Nemesis. And the Flint is nice too.

7. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

I would actually get a Whammy 5 to replace the 4 rather than the POG2. Cheaper and far more versatile (not that the POG isn't obviously). But with the POG you have to get another expression pedal for Whammy type sounds. Plus with the Whammy 5 you can get the Molten Voltage add in, which is just awesome and fun.

8. JStizz

JStizz Member

Thanks for the input so far!

The reason I'm considering the POG2 to replace my Whammy is two-fold... the Whammy is on the fritz, but I also don't tend to use the expression pedal much. I'm more of a 'set it and forget it' kind of player. I've tried to reset the calibration a few times but the lower octave harmonizer is off. I like the POG2 bc it has presets. If there are other pedals like it that also have presets I'm all ears. However, I'll be checking out the Molten Voltage feature on youtube soon!

also, I'm not necessarily trying to keep the Big Muff sound... I just need fuzz.

I like the Supernatural Reverb, but I don't love it. It certainly does the trick for the time being, though.

I don't have the funds to buy them all right now (gawd, I wish!) so its going to be a gradual evolution.

Keep the recommendations coming!