Thinking of a Change from my Dr Z...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mangoman, Oct 20, 2008.

1. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

Hey there,

I have a Dr Z RX jr combo with a Celestion Blue in it. Love the tone, but the speaker tends to break up a bit when I just dig in.

Looking for a possible change. I love to play clean, so that's a big issue in a suggestion. Rest of the stuff I play: Ac/DC, Petty, Chris Isaak, Foo Fighters, Wilco, Big Head Todd, Johnny Cash, Indie ala REM, b-52's....you know, not metal or funk, but some modern country, good 80's hair band stuff and some good ol' classic rock...some rockabily.

I have a strat, tele and LP. Pedals are Tim, timmy, Zen, OCD, Cusack screamer.....always playing with a combination of those.

What say you should I be lookin at???

Thanks in advance.:munch:munch

2. mkg

mkg Member

If you want to stay with a 2xEL84 layout, check out the Goodsell Super 17, either Mk2 or Mk3.
    It would fit right in with the styles you describe.

3. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

great suggestion!!! I had a run at that one, when I bought my Z, but didnt play with it a ton. I guess I may have another look!!!

4. Gris

Gris Member

Try using some of your buddies' amps as extension cabs (plug your amp into their speakers). Look for cleaner, more efficient speakers. You may only need a speaker swap. The blue is notorious for flabby bottom and early breakup. Even better, try your amp through a 2x10, 2x12, 4x10 or 4x12 setup. I had a little 9 watt amp that was kinda just a lil bedroom thing until I swapped the low wattage 12" Jensen alnico for a JBL 12. Then it became a real monster.

BTW, a tweed Deluxe (w/ efficient spkr) will nail the tones you describe.

5. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

Try a Celestion Gold 50 (same tone w/ much more headroom) or a G12H (30 watts) in your cab. Those will both give you the tighter bottom your missing, plus will sound great clean or crunchy.

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

What about changing your speaker? That'd be considerably cheaper than changing amps, if you like the basic tone of the amp already.

7. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Remember, the speaker(s) are 50% of your amp's tonal recipe. Sounds like you like the amp, but not so much the Blue. A G12H30 would break up significantly less, and give you a more low end (tighter and more focused low end as well). My favorite here is the Scumback H30.

Another option if you want to stay Alnico but with less breakup and more low end would be the Scumback Scumnico.

Just two more flavors to try before making the decision to ditch the amp. The Scumbacks will completely change the way you look at speakers as part of the equation.

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

The opposite happend to me. I had a run with a Maz Jr. 18, never played the Goodsell, bought the G17/2X10/Verb, and I'm glad I did. Thanks to Richard, and Mkg, and others on the TGP for steering me into the Super 17.

9. jhumber

jhumber Member

RX-ES might also be worth a shot if you want to change amps.
    I played one on the day I bought my Maz 38 1x12 and its clean tones blew me away (through a 2x12 cab). Stunning sounding amp. I guess I should give the Maz38 a bump too, it's one heck of an amp.

10. drweller

drweller Member

I'd suggest a Ted Weber 30 or 50 watt Alnico Blue Dog.

Sounds like you like the speaker character and the amp but not the early cone breakup. Adding a higher powered Alnico Blue would keep the character and remove the early breakup. Should add, the higher the wattage on the Weber Blue, the darker the speaker...as you'd expect (better bass w/the heavier magnet, etc). The 30 watt version would be a great option for that amp.

11. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I'll second the Weber suggestion. A 30 watt Alnico Blue Dog with Pre-Rola dope from Ted would be real nice with RXES Jr.