Thinking of a MOTU 828 mkII and Nuendo 2...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cocheese, Nov 21, 2004.

1. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I am finally getting around to putting together a small studio for ideas and such. These two pieces of gear seem like a good way to go. Anyone have any experience or ideas they'd like to share about them?

I'll be using a Dell 2.4 as the host machine.

Thanks for the help!

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Should be fine. I'm using Nuendo 2.0 with older MOTU tech (2408 Mk II) and it works very well.

Why Nuendo over Cubase SX?

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

About 18 months ago I had a 828 MkII and it did NOT play nice with WinXP. Drivers support for WinXP, at the time, was non-existant from Motu.

Hopefully okay by now, but you asked for experiences.

4. Bassomatic

I do know there's a long-running thread on the Nuendo forum in which a MOTU guy has participated. I thought they had the issues resolved, but you might want to check it out for yourself. Scott's experience is nervous-making.

5. cocheese

Bassomatic,

I'm not really sure why Nuendo over Cubase? What are the differences? I think that Nuendo has some video capabilities too, which I thought might be fun to play with and all. Any further suggestions as far as Nuendo vs. Cubase?

Scott,

Wow! Thanks for the warning. I'll be sure and look into that before I make the leap. What did you end up with after you had problems with the drivers and such?

Big thanks for the help you guys! :)

6. Scott Peterson

I am a hardcore Cubase SX guy; Nuendo is more powerful with surround and video. But SX has audio done *very* well.

I use a Lynx L2 soundcard/convertor. It is extremely high resolution and I dig the sound quality and rock solid WinXP support.

www.lynxstudio.com

7. Bassomatic

SX uses the same audio engine as Nuendo, which is pretty stellar. I believe you could crossgrade(?) to Nuendo from SX if video or surround is important enuf to you down the road.

Were i to do it all again, i might go SX, as I haven't gotten into vid or surround yet. Some people who charge for their services (as i occasionally do) are afraid of negative client reaction to the SX name vs. Nuendo. Ridiculous and changing, i believe.

8. cocheese

Thanks Basso. The surround and video stuff is not that important to me. Nuendo is a lot more than the Cubase stuff to boot.

9. Screamer

Screamer Member

Ditto that, I had an 828mkII that I had a ton of problems on WinXP and they were all driver related. MOTU's driver stack doesn't even have all of the functionality that they build into their Mac driver. I was running the 828mkII into both Cubase SX2 and Sonar 3 Producer...I lost too many good takes to crashes. I switched to a Digi002 rack mid-project and was recording with stability in an hour on the same PC.

If you want to stick with Nuendo, you might want to check out RME.

10. cocheese

Hey Screamer,

I'm out here in Port Angeles.

How would you compare the sound quality of Digi002 to the MOTU stuff? My dad has a Digi002 but I haven't really spent any time comparing it to anything else.

11. Screamer

Screamer Member

They both sound good, of the two I like the way the Digi translates better. The gain on the preamps seem to have more taper control and the addition of +12db faders really gives you a lot of headroom while tracking.

12. Bassomatic

My main point.;)

13. Bassomatic

Just out of curiosity, have you heard the exact same mix summed from both programs?

14. Screamer

Screamer Member

Yes, I did. But I was referring to the hardware used for tracking (002 vs MOTU), nothing to due with the audio engine of Cubase etc...I guess the real test for "apples to apples" would be to use Cubase with a 002 using the ASIO driver, and then compare the mixes.

PT vs. CSX would be very hard to hold a fair comparisons as all the plugins are different in the mixes (VST vs RTAS) etc when I imported the cubase recorded audio into PT...I didn't have a VST wrapper at that time.

15. Bassomatic

For an apples-to-apples summing shootout, check out the DawSum CD if you haven't already. Interesting stuff.

16. Scott Peterson

+1