Thinking of a Warmoth tele-paul build, advice needed..

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Miles Long, May 18, 2008.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Hello all. I am getting ready to have a Warmoth built. I am thinking a thinline body and either Korina or Mahogany with a maple cap. Wizard neck profile sounds cool with a birdseye maple board. I am on the fence with pickups though. I am opting for either two humbuckers or hss configuration. I am thinking about a Dimarzio virtual hot bridge and area singles maybe. I basically want a fat les paul sound in the bridge and a great country sound from single coils or coil split. Opinions and advice in would greatly be appreciated, thanks, Marc.

2. cnardone

cnardone Member

For me, if you want really good single cool sounds, you need to have single coils. Not split hums. i also think that getting LP sounds out of a 25.5 scale and thinline body is not going to happen. It may sounds great, just not like a lp. So you may want to consider the conversion 24.75 scale.

3. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

My 2 cents - be real sure that you want to go this route before you set out. As the previous person said, the physics of a thinline body and Fender scale neck just won't give you an LP bridge tone. Also, carefully consider the economics of this project as a Warmoth based parts-a-caster - no matter how good the parts - will have a pretty low resale value. If you want to experiment, why not start with an MIM '69 and put a stacked hb or Lil-59 in the bridge? That way you can easily go back to stock if you need to resell.

4. LVC

LVC Senior Member

It is going to have its own vibe going.... will not sound like an LP.

here is my Warmoth tele/LP build

1) 5A Maple top ash back - chambered
    2) 10/14 neck
    3) Suhr Humbuckers (53mm on bridge)
    5) Wolfetone Strat middle position
    6) 5 way switch, tap switch, pull pot for activating all three pickups
    7) Vintage strat bridge
    8) Locking tuners (PRS style)

Guitar is great --- I get fairly fat Humbucker tones --- also very acoustic tones on coil tap (very similar to andersons) and of course that strat out of phase tone.

Some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Silver Supporting Member

You will wind up with a nice guitar. However, if you use premium parts and also have it pro finished and set-up (a good fret level/crown/polish -- or possibly a Plek), you will sink a good amount of dough into your project.

Believe it or not, by the time you are done with all costs (including a nice case), you are not too far removed from the price of a nice used Suhr, Anderson, Grosh, etc. Just something to consider.

I have had four partscasters that were all pro finished and built. Cost a good chunk of change when all was said and done. They were all great guitars and I played the heck out of three of them at gigs (always kept them in fine shape). Sold three of the four, and probably lost about 60% of the dough I sunk into them.

Looking back, I probably would have simply snagged name brand products if I had it to do all over again. If you are in it because you want to learn and have a jonez to build your own instrument, that's a different story.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

that looks like an ash back, are you sure its spruce?

7. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

You've gotten some really good advice from the previous posters. In 1974, I purchased a new Telecaster Deluxe. It had the large Strat type headstock and two Fender Humbuckers. Never sounded like a tele or a les paul. Still got the guitar. . .it's a keeper, but doesn't sound like a tele or les paul.

I also agree with the resale value thing about Warmoth guitars and also with the idea of it not sounding like a les paul with the longer scale neck. I've also got a Baker B1 with the longer neck, and it does not sound like a les paul. . .it's in that school, but the longer neck doesn't sound lilke a les paul to me.

Anyway, here's another thought. What do you want the guitar to do? If you want it to sound like a tele, then set it up with tele pickups. Like a strat, then get a set of strat pickups. While I understand being able to get "close" to the sound of single coil pickups with coil tapping. . .it doesn't sound exactly like anything other than a thinner humbucker. Now, I find that if you're going to be layering sounds in a recording, it works OK to tap the humbuckers. . .so that you're in that same tonal area with more bite through the mix. Still, I don't find coil tapping to do anything other than thinning out the sound of a humbucker. Maybe there's a set of coil tapable pickups out there that sound like a humbucker and a P90 or Tele or Strat. . .I just don't know of any.

8. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Sorry you re right it is ash ---- mental typo

9. LVC

LVC Senior Member

comments about project becoming a money pit are true -----

I have sunk quite a bit of cash into my Warmoth tele/LP project ---- I will never be able to recoup the amount of cash I put into it if I sold it.

That being said, it was a fun process.

10. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks for the advice. I like that idea!

11. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

That is one sexy beast!

12. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I should clarify about trying to emulate a gibson bridge tone. What I want is a fatter sounding bridge humbucker tone than a normal tele bridge, not neccessarily a gibson tone. I think I am opting on a Korina body for the build.

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

This sounds good to my ears.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzOjiU6fzBw The bridge pickup sounds defined and not too icepicky like some teles. I bet a paf style bridge pickup in the bridge of that guitar would smoke.

14. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

No advice here, just a picture of my work in progress to get some juices flowing.
    Limba tele with tummy/forearm cuts
    Birdseye maple / Brazilian neck
    Going with a Hipshot hardtail bridge and Wolfetone Legends.

TelePaul!!
    [​IMG]

15. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks for posting! Keep us updated on your build....

16. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I've built a few Warmoth partscasters and had good results. You can end up with a great guitar. Funny thing is, my best results have been with those guitars that stayed closest to the original guitar spec! These guitar makers must know something...

Although I do like the hollow bodies Warmoth make. Now I tend to treat Warmoth as a replacement parts maker, in that I will buy just a body to use on an existing guitar. My last Strat used a Fender neck with a cool lightweight alder Warmoth body and it sounds like a particularly good Strat. I have a Tele which I love the neck on but don't like the body, so I'm thinking of different types of Tele body for it. So I'm just paying for the body which can be quite cheap. If it doesn't work out I can reassemble the Fender and sell and use the body on something else.

17. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14 Member

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I just came across it and thought I'd offer my .02. I think you might want to reconsider a solid body--mahogany or something else in the "darker" tone department might be able to impart some of the warmth/character that one loses in going from 24 3/4 to 25 1/2. Also, I used Fralin P-92 pickups in a tele-paul design that I just love. They are humbucker sized, but are actually split single coil pickups. The great thing about Fralin is that he can build 'em how you want 'em. I called him up before this project and he talked to me for about 45 minutes, plugging in and playing different guitar/amp/pickup combinations. He's super nice and builds awesome pickups.

It's true, you won't save any money if you do the job right. But, you can make it how you want it. Am I caring about resale value? No, 'cause I love this latest guitar--I'll never sell it (unless I'm forced to by circumstances).

Here's a pic (it's already been posted in the telepauls thread):
    [​IMG]
    and another:
    [​IMG]