1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a 7 string!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by marshall2288, May 24, 2011.

1. marshall2288

marshall2288 Member

I never thought the day would come but....I think I want a 7 string. I enjoy some good Drop B chugga lugga from time to time but hate tuning a guitar that is other wise set up for regular tuning to go that low. I don't think they are very popular around here with all the vintage cats but does anyone noodle around with a 7 string ever?

BTW, if you were wondering, yes, I am the guy that lost half his pinky on his fret hand and am now asking about an additional string. It's weird how my approach has changed.....

2. Gitarman

Gitarman Member

If your primary reason is to go lower, why not consider a baritone? I picked up a Jackson DK27 (27" scale, tuned B-B) in near mint condition last year for a song & it does the chugga chugga stuff exceedingly well:

[​IMG]

I've also got a 7-string Agile & I love that I can play it (almost) like a regular guitar yet still have that extra low B string if I want to add a little low-end flavor to whatever I'm playing.

[​IMG]

So, in the long run, which path you choose (baritone/ 7-string) really boils down to what you want to do with it. If you just want the low end stuff, go with a baritone. If you want added range, a 7-string is the better choice.

FWIW, I primarily play in a classic rock cover band, but neither of the above guitars are really suited to the music that we play, so they've never made it on stage with me.

3. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I had a 7 string Ibanez that I bought cheap at a pawn shop. I fixed it up and played it for a while, but ultimately flipped it. I recently bought an Eastwood Baritone that I like better.

4. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Billy Sheehan supposedly asked Steve Vai the same thing one time, but you can see much good that did. :D

A seven string is on my short list of guitars to buy. It really should be the next guitar I buy. The prospect of shifting all my riffs down a 5th is VERY appealing.

marshall2288, I'd keep your eyes peeled for a used Ibanez Universe. The UV7BK is pretty common and usually resonably priced well under $2000. They only get more expensive from there. IMO, the first few years of Universes are the best production seven strings ever made.

5. McCap

McCap Member

I have a 7-string but would probably go baritone if I had to choose again for two reasons:
    1. The 7th string confuses me slightly. :)
    2. The longer scale of the baritone gives the low b more definition, imho!!

Many builders make their 7-string guitars with a longer scale anyway nowadays, so maybe watch out for that.
    (With longer scale I don't mean Fender scale, but longer...)

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

I love 7 strings; it just opens up a bit more range and you keep the traditional open cords. I didn't really use the 7st string for the first couple months I owned one just because I had no idea what to do with it. Now I feel a bit cramped if it's not there.

7. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

Do it! 7 strings are a blast! I love playing an open D chord and reaching up to get the low D note on the 7th string with my middle finger.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

I played 7 string for about 10 years. It's not for everyone. Some people find it confusing, some people take to in naturally. Some people can go back and forth between 6 and 7, others can't. I always make the same suggestion: buy a cheap 7-string used on eBay and give it a try. You can get something function by Ibanez or Schecter for $350 or less. Try it for a bit and if you like it, get something better and sell the trial guitar. Even if you don't get all your money back, you'll at least get most. And if you don't like it, it won't have cost you much to find out.

9. armando

armando Member

I wanted a 7 but at the last minute decided to go all the way to an 8. I love it. My bottom 3 strings are the same as bottom 3 on a bass. It gives my fingerstyle arrangements a nice full sound.

10. wemedge

wemedge Member

I play a seven string archtop, and also solidbodies. For me, it opens up a lot of fingering possibilities- not just using more strings (as strange as that sounds). I tune to low A and it gives me clusters of chords. Many times I'm only using 3 strings on a chord. My applications are finger-style and rhythm, not low-end chug, but the 7 is good for that too. Very versatile.

wemedge

11. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I just got into playing a 7 last year, on the urging of my awesome coguitarist. It took a bit of patience with my hands and forearm, but I took to it much faster than I thought I would.

One caution about cheap 7 strings: I bought a cheap bolt on 7 about 7 years ago, and hated it enough that I never played it. It wasn't until I got a decent 7 string guitar (a Carvin, of course :D ) that I was able to enjoy it enough to adjust. I still hate that bolt 7, and if I had judged all 7s by that, I never would have tried again.

12. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

13. oddguitar

oddguitar Member

I'd like to get a 7-string, but every time I try one, my left-hand wrist starts to hurt after a while. The width of a 7-string neck makes me have to bend my wrist more to play it (I have small hands). The only solution I can think of is finding a 7-string that has a narrower neck. This, of course, would me smaller string-spacing, so I'm not sure that is a solution either. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-oddguitar